Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 07:32 PM

7 posts, read 15,194 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating with a special ed degree in a few months, and my boyfriend is an optometrist. We have already decided to move to Florida for various reasons, we are just unsure of exactly where. Any thoughts on where there would be optometry jobs? We've done some looking online but I thought someone here might have a lead? I'm not as concerned with my finding a job, since I know ESE teachers have a slightly better chance than general ed teachers do, and obviously getting him a job is our priority for income reasons.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:41 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
lime you are both in fields that are in demand in Florida. Special Eds teachers are always in demand especially in the urban areas. As for optometry that shouldn't be too hard to find employment considering the aging population of the state. What you know have to consider is what part of the state do you want to live in?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:48 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Look in The Villages.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:25 PM

202 posts, read 539,274 times
Not many teacher jobs - almost every county is laying off teachers and plan to for the next few years due to enrollment decreasing and budget. My school laid off 5 teachers, 2 being ese. Not trying to be a downer just realistic.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 PM

So if I am understanding my google search correctly, The Villages is an entire city that is a retirement community? They would definitely need glasses I suppose!

To luke, yes, I know the teacher job prospects aren't great, even for ESE. That's why we're focusing on finding him a job primarily (he makes 3x what I can anyways.)

MiamiRob- The thing is, we really don't know where in Fl we want to live. His parents will be retiring to Punta Gorda this fall, but I'm not too keen on buying a house and settling down to have a family in a retirement community. (I've been there, its lovely...just a little mature for us!) I have some family in Port St. Lucie and the surrounding areas, so that would work too. He has some in Fort Meyers. I know we'de like more of a "suberbia" feel. Not right in a city, but we're fine with diversity etc! All in all, we're pretty open!

I appreciate the help by the way. Wikipedia and google maps can only tell you so much about a place! haha.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:01 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
You'd probably get some better advice if you posted some things like age range, interests, urban vs. rural, etc. other than just finding jobs. Florida is a VERY large state with enormous differences. You could easily end up with a great job living in an area that makes you miserable, because you didn't consider quality of life issues. (i.e. if you eat dinner out often, some towns roll up their sidewalks by 8pm and the ONLY choice you might have is the Waffle House off the Interstate!)

Florida is full of seniors, so no question there would be potential almost all over the state for the optometrist job, but I think "iffy" for the ESE as EVERY county school board in Florida is facing major budget shortfalls and layoffs. You'd probably do better now if you pursued further certification in clinical, medical and psych settings, including Physical Therapy or Rehab as there are still many openings in these areas related to Special Ed.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:34 PM

I would say that we are looking for a suburban locale, maybe within 30 minutes or so from a city that is large enough to have entertainment. Some of the things we like to do for fun include: museums, theater, movies (imax especially), comedy clubs, international/unique restaurants, biking, rollerblading, hiking, running, we also play computer games and video games. In our current city (in Michigan) we live near 2 universities, and enjoy the speakers and other events that they bring. We are a pretty typical "nerdy" couple. I'm early 20s, he's early 30s. We don't "party" or drink at all, so the night life isn't very important to us.

We would like to buy an "upper middle class" home and settle down and eventually have kids, so schools are also a factor I suppose. Private schools are ok. A gated community would be ideal, but a safe, kid friendly neighborhood is fine too.

As far as the ESE jobs, I am actually interested in working in group homes, juvenile detention facilities and/or for dept. of community health, which I have seen some postings for. But like I said, we are more concerned with finding him a job at this point. As long as we can find him a job, we'de like to move down there in the next few months.

Does this help you to get a better idea datona?

I appreciate everyone's responses!

Old 07-05-2009, 01:59 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeofurelife View Post
I would say that we are looking for a suburban locale, maybe within 30 minutes or so from a city that is large enough to have entertainment. Some of the things we like to do for fun include: museums, theater, movies (imax especially), comedy clubs, international/unique restaurants, biking, rollerblading, hiking, running, we also play computer games and video games. In our current city (in Michigan) we live near 2 universities, and enjoy the speakers and other events that they bring. We are a pretty typical "nerdy" couple. I'm early 20s, he's early 30s. We don't "party" or drink at all, so the night life isn't very important to us.

We would like to buy an "upper middle class" home and settle down and eventually have kids, so schools are also a factor I suppose. Private schools are ok. A gated community would be ideal, but a safe, kid friendly neighborhood is fine too.

As far as the ESE jobs, I am actually interested in working in group homes, juvenile detention facilities and/or for dept. of community health, which I have seen some postings for. But like I said, we are more concerned with finding him a job at this point. As long as we can find him a job, we'de like to move down there in the next few months.

Does this help you to get a better idea datona?

I appreciate everyone's responses!
You should consider Plantation and Coral Springs outside of Ft Lauderdale; Delray Beach, Boca Raton and Palm Beach Gardens outside of W. Palm Beach -- these have everything locally you're looking for and are easy trips to Miami for special events, lectures and entertainment. Miami has UofM and Bascom Palmer Hospital (for CEU's).

Also consider Naples and Sarasota, but check out how many practices are there first as there might be too much competition for eye doctors right now (there are TONS of physicians there).

Also, if it's tough to get into an existing practice, check into indigent care facilities such as Catholic Charities, Jewish Federation, Council on Aging, free clinics (non-profit/county), etc. as they are an option which would pay a decent salary, get you grounded and allow networking w/ existing practices who may hire later. Most of these however are usually situated in rural or urban centers and would entail commuting some distance from home.

Would also recommend you rent before you buy. There's plenty of decent rentals now. That way you'll know for sure if you've made the right choice with your HOA. (Best friend bought "dream home" in gated community and the HOA commandos turned it into a nightmare because of parking issues for occasional fancy dress dinner parties!)

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida