Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 PM

50 posts, read 167,857 times

Advertisements

Totally trivial & just for the fun of it..... I stumbled across "Goose Creek", a town in SC earlier -- I know nothing about the town, but that name just tickles me...

Regardless what the town/city might actually be like -- what are some city or town names that *sound* like an appealing place to you? Oddball names? Not-too-appealing names?

These are a few I saw on the lists of small towns in FL, that sound nice to me....

Briney Breezes
Duck Key
Ocean Breeze Park
Fish Hawk
Manatee Road
Pelican Bay
Whisper Walk

And of course, "Frostproof" sounds good to me too!!

"Odd" sounding town names...

Burnt Store Marina
Sopchoppy

Waterways that don't sound very appealing (I can just hear it -- "Dear, let's make sure we spend some time at Cockroach Bay during our vacation!" )

Mosquito Lagoon
Little Cockroach Bay
Cockroach Bay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:05 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,016 times
I believe there's a Christmas, Fl. and the Isles of Capri (both sound nice)

Rosemary Beach is named for the wild herbs growing here!

Yehaw Junction always struck me as funny...

Old 06-17-2009, 06:08 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
"Howey-in-the-Hills" is a real town......"Dr. Phillips" is another strange name for a town.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:51 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,478 times
Actually, Dr. Phillips is an area in Orlando.

Okahumpka, Lacoochee & Ocklawaha sound a little strange...but fun to say!

Silver Springs and Rainbow Lake Estates sound nice -- they're in the Ocala area.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Also intriguing are Withlacoochee (but it's a river/state park), Niceville, Lutz, Okeechobee, Islamorada, Treasure Island, and Kissimmee. It's funny hearing different pronunciations on the more challenging city names.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Homosassa used to make us laugh in high school.

Boca Raton is kind of silly if you translate it ("Rat's Mouth")

Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
I believe there's a Christmas, Fl. and the Isles of Capri (both sound nice)

Rosemary Beach is named for the wild herbs growing here!

Yehaw Junction always struck me as funny...
Ahhh, yes.... Christmas..... A drive-through, hot-as-blazes, trailer-park, fire-prone area of Central Florida between Orlando and Cocoa Beach off of Route 50.....

No..... Not nice IMO.... Oh how names can be deceving....

Now in the two years since I left they may have started terraforming the area in preparation for development since it was probably next in line after they built out Chuluota, but the economy may have slowed that down...

Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Also intriguing are Withlacoochee (but it's a river/state park), Niceville, Lutz, Okeechobee, Islamorada, Treasure Island, and Kissimmee. It's funny hearing different pronunciations on the more challenging city names.
Growing up in Orlando (which was fantastic before the Mouse took over) -- we used to get a kick out of the fact that tourists could NEVER seem to get Kissimmee right. They always said KISS-a-me, instead of kiss-SIM-mee.

But, even as a native, I never was sure of the correct pronunciation of Islamorada - anyone care to enlighten me?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:33 AM

626 posts, read 1,239,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretlady4719 View Post
Growing up in Orlando (which was fantastic before the Mouse took over) -- we used to get a kick out of the fact that tourists could NEVER seem to get Kissimmee right. They always said KISS-a-me, instead of kiss-SIM-mee.

But, even as a native, I never was sure of the correct pronunciation of Islamorada - anyone care to enlighten me?

Ferretlady4719;
This is actually 2 spanish words: Isla Morada, Spanish for Violet/Purple Island, thru the years it has become one word alltogether and the anglicized version is aisle-a-more-AH-dah.

My .2 cents.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Ferretlady4719;
This is actually 2 spanish words: Isla Morada, Spanish for Violet/Purple Island, thru the years it has become one word alltogether and the anglicized version is aisle-a-more-AH-dah.

My .2 cents.

Thanks! Yay, I've been pronouncing it correctly all these years then. Quite some time back, I saw some show about the keys, and the host pronounced it some odd way, annunciating the "S" -- like izz-la-mor-AYD-a --- I didn't think that sounded right, but he was supposedly an 'expert' on life in the keys so I wondered if I'd been wrong all along....

Silly, but it bugs me if I don't know how to pronounce something....

Didn't mean to veer off-topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida