Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:43 AM

113 posts, read 517,295 times

Advertisements

Home, condo sales improve as Fla. home prices dive

The Associated Press

Published: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Home sales are picking up in Florida, but at prices well below what they were a year ago.

The Florida Association of Realtors reported Tuesday that home and condo sales were up by 16 percent in May over the same month in 2008. But the average price had fallen nearly a third from almost $204,000 a year ago to a little more than $144,000 this year.
Condos have become particularly attractive for buyers, with the average price down by 38 percent from May 2008. The average sales price of a condo sold in Florida last month was $113,400 compared to the national average of $173,900 in April.
Florida's housing price declines exceed those of the national average, which was 14.9 percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 AM

552 posts, read 592,396 times
My house was $330k in 2006 before the fallout. It was appraised the other day (trying to get a lower interest rate), and it appraised for 165k. And we live in one of the "nicer, gated communities" in Orlando. Talk about depressing. I watch neighbors from all over the subdivision scooting out of here, moving back to NJ because they came down here hoping to make 100k off of their flip. Now that it didnt happen, they are foreclosing, and me and other neighbors who bought our houses TO LIVE IN, watch our values plummet. It's very frustrating.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,929 times
It is good to hear that the condo segment of the Florida housing real estate market is moving, but will that be a sign of better things to come? There is such a glut in the inventory of condos for sale, however, with significantly reduced prices statewide, is this more a sign of bargain hunters thinking that this aspect of the market has bottomed out? It almost seems to be an oxymoron when there is such an excessive inventory of condos for sale (with potential tax liens and/or unbalanced HOA budgets). I still believe that Florida condo prices will need to drop further to become affordable for those wishing to purchase.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
I feel sorry for anyone who bought a condo during the boom. There was soooo much speculation, and those speculators are now losing their shirts, walking away and causing prices to crash. Newer home developments and "cookie cutter" developments are also being hit hard.

On the upside, a work colleage of mine is thinking about jumping on a condo right now that she would not have been able to touch just a few years ago. It is listed for just 125k. Last sale was 220k.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehawk View Post
Home, condo sales improve as Fla. home prices dive

The Associated Press

Published: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Home sales are picking up in Florida, but at prices well below what they were a year ago.

The Florida Association of Realtors reported Tuesday that home and condo sales were up by 16 percent in May over the same month in 2008. But the average price had fallen nearly a third from almost $204,000 a year ago to a little more than $144,000 this year.
Condos have become particularly attractive for buyers, with the average price down by 38 percent from May 2008. The average sales price of a condo sold in Florida last month was $113,400 compared to the national average of $173,900 in April.
Florida's housing price declines exceed those of the national average, which was 14.9 percent.
Home sales: May home sales up in Broward, Palm Beach counties -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 06-23-2009, 04:50 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Mixed report on home sales | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
I've met several people recently who are on the verge of of foreclosure -- and this wasn't at work, just people I met. If I met several casually, how many more must there be out there? So I think there's another wave of foreclosures coming, especially with the unemployment rate here. But I don't think the condos can drop that much further, they've already gone down so much.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I've met several people recently who are on the verge of of foreclosure -- and this wasn't at work, just people I met. If I met several casually, how many more must there be out there? So I think there's another wave of foreclosures coming, especially with the unemployment rate here. But I don't think the condos can drop that much further, they've already gone down so much.
There are so many cards stacked against anyone attempting to sell a Florida condo today at any price. Even with the prices dropping, it is still cost prohibitive for most potential buyers to bear all of the associated costs with owning a condo (especially as a vacation home, or a pre-retirement home). Out of state buyers are dealing with the diminished equity in their current homes, loss of retirement income, and needing sustained time in the workplace. My question would be, Who can the seller target as the potential population of buyers?

An excellent source of the costs associated with buying a condo and renting to offset these costs is:

Larry's Take on the Cocoa Beach Florida Real Estate Market

Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Price home no more than 3 times income and they sell. Why is this so hard for many people to understand? Lower priced homes will sell, overpriced ones do not unless a complete idiot flush with funny money is buying.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Price home no more than 3 times income and they sell. Why is this so hard for many people to understand? Lower priced homes will sell, overpriced ones do not unless a complete idiot flush with funny money is buying.
I'm not arguing, but isn't that kind of an ideal situation? I could be wrong, but in New York, Boston, DC, San Franicisco, I don't think your ratio is the norm, but the houses still sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida