Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:17 AM

149 posts, read 371,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twindolls View Post
You have received great info. Just wanted to chime in because I lived in Dr. Phillips for over 8 years. I lived in the Bay Hill subdivision and I cannot say enough good things about it. Very safe. Great place to raise kids. Great neighbors. It is not a gated subdivision but the area is well patroled by law enforcement.

Most of the subdivisions off of the Apopka-Vineland corridor are very nice. Phillips Landing, Turtle Creek, Bay Hill, South Bay, North Bay, Orange Tree, Diamond Cove, Sand Lake Point, Bay Lakes, Granada Villas, Vizcaya, Brentwood Club, Silver Woods (this is close to Dr. Phillips but is in the 34786 zip code) to name a few. You will find a mix of older areas and newer homes. Don't know what your price range but you can look up homes to buy or rent in the 32819 and 32836 zip codes. Dr. Phillips Elementary, Bay Meadows Elementary or Sand Lake elementary are good schools that are zoned for that area.

There is a great park behind Sand Lake Elementary called Dr. Phillips Community Park. It has a playground, splash park, doggie park, walking/joggin trail, volleyball court, pavillions to rent for gatherings, etc. There are also a few other nice community parks in the vicinity.

Of course, all the theme parks are easy access from the Dr. Phillips area as well.

Shopping, restaurants are also just minutes away. Within about a 4 mile radius you have the Mall at Millenia, Florida Mall, Prime Outlets and Festival Bay on International Drive and the new Plaza on the corner of Sand Lake Rd and Turkey Lake Rd.....they recently opened a Whole Foods Market there.

Good doctors and medical care in that area as well.

The traffic situation is correct.......can get really, really nuts!! Other than that the Dr. Phillips area is a great place to live. Wish I was still living there!

Great Thanks!
No Kids just me and my husband. Are the gated subdivision better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM

216 posts, read 913,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Florida2 View Post
Great Thanks!
No Kids just me and my husband. Are the gated subdivision better?
Some gated places do have a guard, some don't. I have nothing to base this on, other than opinion and what I have experienced in the short time I have lived here. If there is a guard, I find that to be more secure as you generally cannot get in unless a resident calls the guard and asks that you be let in when you arrive. So I guess you don't have just anyone coming it at any time. Not saying that people can never get in but I would imagine it would be more difficult. Maybe someone living in a guarded community can comment?

As for the gated/non-guarded, if a resident drives up and opens the gate with their access card, anyone can follow them in so I don't know how much of a significant security benefit that is.

In the Dr. Phillips area, I don't find it that necessary to live in a gated community. You may find slightly higher crime (car break-ins mostly) but not much more, once in a while there is a home break-in, generally during the day when the residents are at work.

Again - this is solely opinion and I do not live in a gated community. My uncle lives in a guarded/gated community in Ft. Myers. He awoke one night because he saw lights outside his bedroom window, turns out some people were breaking into his neighbor's screened patio and stealing their grill !?! Apparently they 'walked' into the community somehow and were going to roll the grill out ??!!?? Ummm.....okay. This is just a small example that if someone wants to get in, they will get in. There probably won't be as many random thieves driving around, scoping for cars to rob and stuff because gated/guarded communities are harded to access.

The Millennia Mall is about 10 - 15 minutes. It is a beautiful mall with lots of upscale stores. Here is the link BEYOND UPSCALE SHOPPING AND DINING IN ORLANDO... A MULTI-SENSORY EXPERIENCE. (http://www.mallatmillenia.com/experience/experience.htm - broken link)

We also have two large outlets nearby, the Prime Outlets and the Premium Outlets. Both are very nice, many upscale stores. Many of the outlets have GREAT deals too.
Prime Outlets – Orlando, Outlet Mall near Orlando and Central Florida Area | 65% Savings on Designer Brands
Orlando Premium Outlets

Right by the Millenia Mall, there is a Super Target, BJs, Ikea and several other stores. You can do most of your shopping right there.

As someone posted, there is a brand new Whole Foods right in Dr. Phillips and also a nice Publix right down the road. Lots of Starbucks, Barnies, Barnes & Noble, farmers market ( I have heard the Winter Park one is the best) and lots more. All sorts of doctors, dentists, medical practices all very close by, there are tons on Sand Lake Road. The Dr. Phillips YMCA is very nice but there is also a Golds Gym.

Hope that helps! It doesn't have a city vibe, as NY does, it has more of a small town, yet busy feel and everything you probably need is within 10 - 15 minutes. It's a great area.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:31 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
I lived a few years in Dr. Phillips...still have the house, but am no longer living there. I thought it was by far one of the BEST areas to live in the Orlando area and it's getting better every year. Stonewood is a great restaurant and bar that locals frequent in Dr. Phillips. I've moved around a lot and have been fortunate enough to be able to choose where to live in each city, so I've never lived in a bad area and Dr. Phillips compares to all my previous and present locations. Enjoy!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,531 times
I am just reading these posts. I hope by now you have found what you were looking for and happy...please advise if so! My husband and I are trying to decide where to move and we are having the hardest time. He works downtown Orlando. We are both golfers and have a 3 and 2 year old and would like to join a country club. Went to Bay Hill...the dues with a trail fee were so expensive! So we are considering looking at Orange Tree; however I called and they said half of their membership was "snow birds." We really want to live in a family oriented and active community. Does anyone know how Orange Tree is as a neighborhood...are there also a lot of snow birds in Orange Tree. I want a neighborhood with a lot of kids. Any advise would be great! Thanks! Amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida