Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 06:26 PM

9 posts, read 29,070 times

Advertisements

After months and months of speculation about wether or not Highlands County is going to get a Sam's Club, the secret is finally out: There is a Sam's Club proposed on US 27 where the old Scotty's used to be.

I've been sceptical when the new WalMart in Avon Park openend (about 8 months later than planned), wondering if there are enough people in Avon Park and Frostproof to support the retail giant. I haven't seen their balance sheet but I can say their parking lot is always about half full. Their inventory is somewhat "reduced", the variety isn't that great. I go to the Sebring Walmart if I want more choices.

Now Sam's Club would really excite me as I love to buy in bulk and I know my mother in law would be thrilled because the closest Sam's Club is currently in Lakeland and oftentimes not worth the trip.
The new shopping center next to Lowe's on 27 featuring Bed Bath & Beyond, Michaels and other big ticket chain stores is still open but during the summer month, that parking lot just isn't as full as it should be. Circuit City has closed down and I've heard rumors about Michael not doing so well. Add a Sam's Club to that? Are there enough consumers in Highland's County to support it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Since Sams'sClub and WalMart are the same company, they always seem to open across the street from each other. That way the distribution channels are the same.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Yes, the new Sam's Club is going to be almost across the street from the Sebring Walmart.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:45 PM

147 posts, read 568,699 times
Too bad it's not a Costco. Costco is so much better a store.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:12 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaglerwrangler View Post
Too bad it's not a Costco. Costco is so much better a store.
Amen! Costco is far better than either Sam's or BJ's -- the breadth of goods is much better, as is the quality.

We're moving to Marion County by the end of the year, and from what I can see, the closest Costco is in Orlando. Now, we don't have one in our town here in NJ, but we do have five of them within a 25-40 minute drive, so we're spoiled.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:19 AM

I've heard a ton about Costco being better than Sams, I also heard that BJ's stock is doing so much better than Sam's and Costco. But this is Highlands County, we are rural. I guess we're lucky to get anything. Now I'm hoping we'll also get Aldi! I'm a native German and a big Aldi fan! The closest we have is about 1 1/2 hrs away. Haven't been there yet but hopefully soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida