Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 AM

54 posts, read 317,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ67 View Post
we have Horace Mann which is mainly for educators but neither myhusband or I are so we went with a annuity with them and still got a great rate of Homeowners!
Strange Horace Mann cancelled my insurance after 15 yrs with them, they even gave me a good customer discount the year before they cancelled.
I was a teacher now retired. They gave the excuse of cancelling as they were reducing their risk in Florida
ps. I didn't have an annuity with them, just 4 properties, my homeowners and 3 rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 02:14 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I never understood why people allow their banks to pay their insurance policies...that's a big risk i think... a friend of ours had a similar experience where he thought one company was paying the bill for him through his payments to them only to come to find out the payments never made it to where they were supposed to go and he was SOOL on all his payments. We will be signing up with Royal Palm as they were the cheapest rate for us though our premiums did double. we were sent all the packet info too but no quote so we looked into it to get the quote. i don't know how they would know your mortgage info to bill unless you have signed something at the bank allowing them to bill within your mortgage papers.
They got the info from Allstate.When we cancelled Allstate after finding another carrier they called us and said we could't cancel because Royal Palm had all of our paperwork done. We said we could and we had already gotten a refund check from Allstate. The same agents who worked for Allstate will now be working for Royal Palm in the office that we had used so they had all of our infomation. So sneaky.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:09 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
They got the info from Allstate.When we cancelled Allstate after finding another carrier they called us and said we could't cancel because Royal Palm had all of our paperwork done. We said we could and we had already gotten a refund check from Allstate. The same agents who worked for Allstate will now be working for Royal Palm in the office that we had used so they had all of our infomation. So sneaky.
It's possible your mortgage bank found out you were getting cancelled (maybe by Allstate directly without you knowing) and your bank has authorization to insure your home without notifying you if you don't provide proof of coverage. I get those quotes from the bank every year just around the time our policy expires on our car, home and camper we have. The bank gives us an enormous quote for insurance and gives us until a certain date to provide proof of insurance or they will automatically roll over to their insurance policy.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:18 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBluz View Post
To those of you (and yes, I count myself among this group) who received that dreaded thin envelope from Allstate, BEWARE! I received a rather thick envelope from Royal Palm this week. (who I opted to stay FAR FAR away from since having them insure my home is like letting Paris Hilton perform brain surgery on me) Much to my surprise, Royal Palm, "in an effort to be proactive for new customers" went ahead and issued a homeowners policy and BILLED MY MORTGAGE COMPANY! Silly little issues like ASKING FOR COVERAGE seem to not be important to this company. I am now battling to get Royal Palm off my mortgage so I can get the company I chose in place BEFORE my Allstate policy is officially non-renewed. If you get ANYTHING in the mail from Royal Palm - read it very carefully. They may have been really proactive and arranged a home equity loan for you while you weren't looking!
Now that really stinks. I don't have mine escrowed, but they better not try that. Haven't had a quote from them yet but have two others that are pretty reasonable, but have to wait until the first because one company only rights 15 to 20 a month and I am #17.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:21 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
It's possible your mortgage bank found out you were getting cancelled (maybe by Allstate directly without you knowing) and your bank has authorization to insure your home without notifying you if you don't provide proof of coverage. I get those quotes from the bank every year just around the time our policy expires on our car, home and camper we have. The bank gives us an enormous quote for insurance and gives us until a certain date to provide proof of insurance or they will automatically roll over to their insurance policy.
That didn't happen to us I was just explaining how it happened to your friend. We cancelled Allstate first after they said that Royal Palm couldn't give us a quote until 30 days prior to the due date. Only when Allstate found out we cancelled did they call us and said that the paper work for Royal Palm was already for us and that is when we said we already got a refund check from Allstate and we went with anoter carrier. I hope your friend wins the fight. It is a shame what we have to do with these insurance companys.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:19 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
You should take up your issues with the organization that controls what rates can be charged, how companies write business, how companies are allowed to operate in the state etc etc etc. (I think the President of the organization's last name is Crisp or Crisco or something like that.)

Old 06-19-2007, 08:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
We got the letter ( Federated National out of Ft Lauderdale ) several weeks ago and it indicated they were raising our rates again.

Got the renewal a couple days ago. They LOWERED our rate. Not by much but it's lowered. Check will go out tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:10 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
We got the letter ( Federated National out of Ft Lauderdale ) several weeks ago and it indicated they were raising our rates again.

Got the renewal a couple days ago. They LOWERED our rate. Not by much but it's lowered. Check will go out tomorrow.
Good for you, so glad to here it. It's the first I have heard that someone's bill was lower.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:07 PM

36 posts, read 143,917 times
Is Allstate canceling all coverages hurricane, flood and HOI, or just specific one? Citizen's tried this one with my house last year when they were cleaning house with the non-homesteaded homes (luckily I was homestead an their record keeping was not current, but this was not good for the snow birds and others with multiple homes).

I have been researching the last couple of months to reduce insurance cost.
But this does not help when you have to start over with a new company. I have seen this between me and my neighbor--I bought in 2003 premiums were 750/2500/650 HOI/HURR/FLD, the neighbor bought in 2007 theirs were 900/4500/1800. There is no reasoning for the difference except the Insurance companies wanted to make up for losses.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:41 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-50 View Post
Good for you, so glad to here it. It's the first I have heard that someone's bill was lower.
Thank you and believe me it was a surprise. Our premiums have doubled in the last few years ( after charlie beat us up ) and they did brace us for yet another increase. Whew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida