Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 PM

17 posts, read 240,186 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am Canadian and I am doing some research on Florida and moving there. I do not have any family in the US, and I am wondering how hard it is for a Canadian to relocate. The only reason I'd move is because I WANT to, not because I have to. Just doesn't seem like an easy thing to do. I wouldn't mind coming for a year to see how we like it.

For those of your from Canada who have moved to Florida, how did you find the transition? What do you like and what don't you like? Was it hard to get a green card? Over all are you happy with your decision?

For those of you from Canada who plan on moving to Florida, what is making you decide to move to Florida? What are you plans so far?

Anyone else, if you have anything to add, please do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 11:21 PM

204 posts, read 635,048 times
I guess the obvious question is immigration. If you have a green card it will be no problem. Otherwise, the folks over at ICE will be a headache to deal with.

You're probably from Ontario because for some reason people rent to follow the interstate. All the Toronto people move to Jacksonville and other cities along I-95. All the Northern and Western Ontario people follow I-75 and move to Tampa

Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGuy9 View Post
I guess the obvious question is immigration. If you have a green card it will be no problem. Otherwise, the folks over at ICE will be a headache to deal with.

You're probably from Ontario because for some reason people rent to follow the interstate. All the Toronto people move to Jacksonville and other cities along I-95. All the Northern and Western Ontario people follow I-75 and move to Tampa

Actually, I am from Nova Scotia, but currently living in Western Canada (Calgary, Alberta). I am pretty sure if I did move to Florida I would like to live somewhere on the Gulf Coast. Leaning more towards Tampa, Bradenton or Sarasota, but I can't say I've ruled out other areas.

I do not have a green card, part of what I was wondering is if Green Cards are 'as hard' to get as I have read everywhere. Also, wondering if you apply and wait in Canada, or move etc. My husband has cousins that live in Oregon, but besides that we have no family in the US, and I am guessing it might be fairly hard for a Canadian to get hired in the US? It's hard to know where to start. Also I know the economy is not great, but it's not GREAT anywhere right now.

I was also wondering how people from Canada were finding the climate, health care system, and all the other changes in living, housing, jobs, people, schools. From what I've read for the most part there are down falls to both health care systems. I also know it depends on where you live etc.

So over all just doing some research. I know visiting somewhere is so much more different than living somewhere. I've only ever visited.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
There are generally five ways to immigrate to the US.

1. Marry an American citizen
2. Win the visa lottery
3. Be sponsored by a US company
4. Buy a US business and get an E2 and hope and pray it will be renewed--no guarantees
5. Be sponsored by a family member.

As a Canadian with no family in the US, #1 or #3 are probably your best options. What field do you work in?

Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are generally five ways to immigrate to the US.

1. Marry an American citizen
2. Win the visa lottery
3. Be sponsored by a US company
4. Buy a US business and get an E2 and hope and pray it will be renewed--no guarantees
5. Be sponsored by a family member.

As a Canadian with no family in the US, #1 or #3 are probably your best options. What field do you work in?

I am married already, so I guess my only option is # 3! I am a Corporate Paralegal at a law firm here in Calgary. However I don't have a University degree or anything. Just a few courses and experience. My husband is in big builing maintanence and operations and we have a 6 year old daughter.

Do you know if it's true that you have to have a university degree to get sponsered by a US company? If so, then I guess we have NO WAY of ever immigrating.

Can any member of your family sponser you? Cousin? What does sponsering mean to the person sponsering you? What do they have to do? What are they responsible for?

I was really hoping the moving between Canada and the US would be much simpler. ha! I guess not!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Generally a company will only spomsor you if they are unable to find a US citizen to do the job--we don't have a shortage in either of the fields you are in, so it's probably not going to work for you.

Your cousin would have to prove the financial means to support you for a certain amount of time and sign that they would be completely financially responsible for you.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Generally a company will only spomsor you if they are unable to find a US citizen to do the job--we don't have a shortage in either of the fields you are in, so it's probably not going to work for you.

Your cousin would have to prove the financial means to support you for a certain amount of time and sign that they would be completely financially responsible for you.

Oh wow, the odds seem pretty grim then. Thank you for all this information, it was a lot of help!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM

204 posts, read 635,048 times
There is still the visa lottery if you want to give it a shot.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGuy9 View Post
There is still the visa lottery if you want to give it a shot.

I think I read somewhere that Canadians cannot apply for the lottery? But thanks for the suggestion. I am reading up a bit more about TN Status. I don't have the plans of moving or anything, but I am interested, so I'd like to figure out how if at all possible I can go about it!

Thanks again!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM

90 posts, read 258,113 times
You can go to the website "canuckabroad.com" and read through the forum posts. You can also go to USCIS.gov and read up on different work visas. Most of the time, you need a degree directly tied to what you are going to do as a job but there are other categories. Canadian aren't eligible for the lottery (its to allow people from countries who tend not to immigrate to the US to come over, therefore increasing diversity). A green card is very hard to get because employers have to pay big bucks in legal fees ect and don't always want to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida