Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 04:12 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,920 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone can shed some light on this matter.

My husband recently applied for a FL teaching certificate. He has his Bachelors, so it seemed like a good idea especially since teaching "was" his first occupational interest years ago. He ended up going into business instead.

Anyway, DH followed all instructions and received his letter stating he is eligible for a cert to teach. However, the letter says he'll receive his certificate when he obtains a teaching position. On the other hand, when he applies for positions, he receives notification that he's not eligible for hire because he doesn't have the certificate yet.

Has the process always been like this? Any pointers on how DH can obtain his certificate without having a job lined up?

Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 04:33 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
Back when I started teaching, the district hired based on the certificate of eligibility. They then did the initial application for the permanent teaching certificate once I was hired.
He should probably check with the HR department of the district he is interested in to see what he should do.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:37 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
Maybe someone can shed some light on this matter.

My husband recently applied for a FL teaching certificate. He has his Bachelors, so it seemed like a good idea especially since teaching "was" his first occupational interest years ago. He ended up going into business instead.

Anyway, DH followed all instructions and received his letter stating he is eligible for a cert to teach. However, the letter says he'll receive his certificate when he obtains a teaching position. On the other hand, when he applies for positions, he receives notification that he's not eligible for hire because he doesn't have the certificate yet.

Has the process always been like this? Any pointers on how DH can obtain his certificate without having a job lined up?

Thank you for any help.
He has to find a school that is willing to allow him to teach on that sort of certificate. Then, the school sends in a letter to the state verifying that they are offering him a position and the states sends out the cert. The process has been around for awhile when teaching positions became hard to fill throughout the country! Now, well, how different ballgame.

Your dh has to be VERY specific when applying; talking to schools, etc. Also, with the current economy and hiring freezes, it's going to be a tough sell.

This is how I started out teaching and eventually ended up getting my Masters in Ed (though that's a req almost anywhere anymore)...so, it is possible! It's just a tough road...

Another idea is full-time subbing. He can try to get hired on as a full-time sub and throughout the year either get into that school as a full-time teacher or another school.

Good luck. It's not impossible but it's not easy!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,920 times
Thank you, Eresh and 121804.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,571 times
This is not about the certificate issue as I received mine 27 years ago and things were different then. However I just wanted to warn you that the state of FL is in a major budget crisis right now and most districts are under a hiring freeze. That has been the case for about two years now. We haven't gotten any raises in that period of time and there have been lots of other major cut backs. This past year our church was looking for a pastor. We finally had found who we thought was perfect for our church and he was excited about moving out here from Texas. His wife is a teacher. Because of the severe budget crisis and the fact that there were NO teaching positions available for his wife, he had to back out. Its just a grim situation here right now.

Nancy

Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 AM

168 posts, read 424,899 times
Don't bother, he won't be able to get a job. I've been trying for over a year now to get a teaching job and I think I'm more than qualified to teach physical education and coach (I coach at the Division I level) and no one will even give me a phone call. Although it seems as you are located in the state, so you might have a better chance than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida