Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:56 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,841 times

Advertisements

What happens in Florida when Castro dies?

For the first week or so in Miami, I bet that the "celebrations" will cause the city to shut down. There will be your criminals doing serious looting. The streets will basically be shut down. Frustrated citizens will be fighting with the partiers and it will be total chaos. Many people are going to be hurt.

After the dust settles, I feel that nothing is going to be any different because Raul Castro will take over and eveything will be the same. When Raul dies, there will be someone else in line. I don't think that people will be coming or going because U.S. policy and Cuban laws wont be any different.

I wish that I had a crystal ball so that I could take my vacation a week before and come back a week after.

Sorry to put in a negative vibe to a somewhat positive thread so far. I tend to look into what will happen here immediately after, and how it will affect everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
Hi Miami Vice....it will change and things will happen, for the better. In the meantime though, no, no vacation for you! You have to stick around and take care of us. :-))

Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 AM

Hi vpcats. I was worried that someone was going to say that. After the Elain incident and the FTAA in downtown, I'm all rioted out. LOL..

I guess that things will change but not anytime soon. I feel bad for the people who have family there, who have lost family who were tyring to come over in rafts and who had to leave back in the 50's and 60's. They didn't want to lose everything that they owned and go to a foreign place with no money, family, friends or knowing the language. I highly respect them for being able to acomplish things that many people who were born here were unable to do.

It's true though that the people who were born within the last 50 years in Cuba are a totally different breed. This guy has wipe out a total culture. Unfortunately many people generalize and think that all Cubans are the same.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:18 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
In my humble view, what will happen is anybody's guess.

Can you really trust the opinion of "elite planners"? What about Iraq and even Afghanistan? Did things go as the "top minds" planned?

My own guess is that things will change a lot less than some people hope. According to my interpretation, the purpose of the Cuba policy has been to protect southern Florida as an area for development. In spite of the propaganda, I don't see that changing after Castro.

Again, it's anybody's guess.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:47 AM

Just like with anything else, not all under 50 cubans are bad and not all over 50 are good but there is a big difference overall. They say necessity is the mother of invention and one thing I have noticed is that the newer Cubans are extremely ingenious but how they get there is sometimes questionable.

I don't really want to get into all that again now.

I'm just hoping, and yes, I am very optimistic about good things happening, because I'd rather retire in Cuba, I THINK, - one little place here, one little place there, instead of Costa Rica, DR, Nicaragua, Mexico or any of these other popular retirement countries.

You know it's not so much that I'm so patriotic because it's all just been handed down to me, but I'm looking out for what my wallet will be able to handle when it's time to retire and it does definitely go a lot further there than here.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:03 AM

I didnt mean to say that Cubans that were born within the last 50 years are worse. You know that I ALWAYS say that there are good people and bad people of every race.

I know that many Americans retire to other countries so that their money doesn't run out and so they could live a more peaceful life. I would be very cautious though. If people think that this government is corupt, they should here some of the horror stories in those other countries. The police kidnap you or stop you and take all of you money.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:40 AM

Oh boy. I'll have to do like my grandmother used to do in NY. She would secure everything to her underwear with safety pins. If they kidnap me, well, I have been known to have really grouchy moments. The kidnappers may just send me back! :-))

Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 AM

LOL!! Your a trip!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:43 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
The Cuban community is part of the culture and industry in Florida as well in other parts of this country. They are well cemented to the history of the state and they have earned the right to be here. I believe that many good families will relocate to/from Cuba/Florida.

Many business persons are already negotiating to continue to develop the tourism in Cuba, this might be the next Monaco of the carribean. If you had the opportunity to vacation in Cuba will you go?

I will love to see it and enjoy the culture and natural resources.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:45 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
We will be the first to go see Cuba and perhaps move there. What a dream that would be. I would love to see a Cuban Amazon in the wild. Hope Mr. Castro moves on soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida