Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 6,450 times

Advertisements

Hello All!
My husband is going back to college so we are moving to FL, as he will be majoring in Marine Science.
Although people tell us everyday we are crazy for moving to FL, it's for college, we aren't sure if we'll be permenant residents, but it's possible.

The areas he has applied to colleges are
Tampa/Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg,
Ft. Lauderdale,
Miami/Coral Gables
and Jacksonville.

I have been told that the best areas for younger people (late 20's/early 30's) are Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale, but because of costs we are not planning on living inside any city, my husband doesn't mind commuting to school 1/2-1 hour.
I am an artist, and hope to get a job teaching, or working in art somewhere, that said......Which of these areas would you recommend for us?
Also, is there any area of these, or near these that you know of as being "dog friendly", we have 3 dogs! One of the reasons we want to live "outside" of towns.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
The Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area is the only area I would consider at your age.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,817 times
I like Jacksonville because of the cost of living alone... It is just so cheap here... You have a lot of options in terms of the areas you want to live in... I live in Fleming Island which is an ultimate suburb type deal... Lots of shopping, lots of restaurants... Not much of a nightlife to speak of in JAX but there are a few clubs around if that is your thing... (its not mine)...

I am 21, live with my girlfriend and own a dog and I am very happy here...

Your only issue is that I see you having a hard time finding a job as a teacher anywhere in FL... It just isn't an in demand field here...

Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I like Jacksonville because of the cost of living alone... It is just so cheap here... You have a lot of options in terms of the areas you want to live in... I live in Fleming Island which is an ultimate suburb type deal... Lots of shopping, lots of restaurants... Not much of a nightlife to speak of in JAX but there are a few clubs around if that is your thing... (its not mine)...

I am 21, live with my girlfriend and own a dog and I am very happy here...

Your only issue is that I see you having a hard time finding a job as a teacher anywhere in FL... It just isn't an in demand field here...
Especially teaching in the arts. Many programs have been cut. I would wait till he gets accepted into the college. Then look in the area of the school he chooses.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:53 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
I'm a fan of Jax too.
Altho Tampa has that young vibe to it.
Ft Lauderdale over Miami.....I'm just not a fan of Miami.

You should have no problems with your dogs with any of the choices given.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,450 times
Thanks! This is encouraging!
I was hesitant about Jacksonville b/c I wasn't sure there was much to do there, but I will look into it, any good resource suggestions for that area? Good websites?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:33 PM

924 posts, read 2,604,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeachcalling View Post
Thanks! This is encouraging!
I was hesitant about Jacksonville b/c I wasn't sure there was much to do there, but I will look into it, any good resource suggestions for that area? Good websites?
I moved down here 4 months ago without ever visiting... I found most of the information I needed right here on city-data... Perhaps you should look around on the JAX sub-forum... You can send me a DM if you have specific questions...

Old 09-22-2009, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 18,572 times
So, St Pete is not that old anymore and the cost of living always depends on you.
BUT, I have a house and only rent to people WITH dogs - huge yard, fenced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida