Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 04:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,967 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to panama city with my fiance at the end of this year... it is not a choice because he's in the air force. we will be living off base though so that gives us a little room. i don't know anything about the area (heck, i'm from the west coast and i've never even BEEN to florida, lol). We are both pretty young (i'm 20, he is 25).
aside from spring break, are there young people around this place? what is there to do? any schools? what are the best areas and the worst areas? he is looking at condos but i know he isn't really paying attention the area at all... i for one care where i live.

i know i could find the facts and stuff anywhere on the net but i just really want some personal views and opinions.

thanks guys

-a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:02 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Soul View Post
I'm moving to panama city with my fiance at the end of this year... it is not a choice because he's in the air force. we will be living off base though so that gives us a little room. i don't know anything about the area (heck, i'm from the west coast and i've never even BEEN to florida, lol). We are both pretty young (i'm 20, he is 25).
aside from spring break, are there young people around this place? what is there to do? any schools? what are the best areas and the worst areas? he is looking at condos but i know he isn't really paying attention the area at all... i for one care where i live.

i know i could find the facts and stuff anywhere on the net but i just really want some personal views and opinions.

thanks guys
-a
So he's going to Tyndall AFB? (not Eglin?)
Tyndall is on the east side of Panama City, Panama City Beach is on the west side of Panama City (kinda strange, huh?)
PCB is younger and more 'fun' so you'd probably like it more than PC. The commute is do-able. Are schools really a concern right now? Let me know some specific requirements and price range and I'll help as much as I can!

Old 09-06-2009, 05:02 PM

13 posts, read 44,613 times
Sorry to burst the bubble. But Panama city is a terrible place for young people. You will not find young smart open minded people in panama city.

Coming from the west coast could be a culture shock. the city is filled with narrow minded people living 20 years behind. The quality of schools is poor and there is no diversity either.

Beach/bars are the only entertainment options which gets boring. the place has nothing to offer culturally/intellectually for young people. It is a remote city where people retire.

I am telling this in advance so that there are no unpleasant surprises after the move. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 11,867 times
oh for petes sake dont be such a wet blanket north! LOL she said she has no choice where they are going...theres gotta be SOMETHING here that could be a positive thing to tell her about! :-)
LOL

actually, i dont really know much about the area because i have just moved here recently myself.
but i do know a leeetle bit about the different areas for schools, as i had to look into it for my 16 yr old. i also am getting a bit more familiar with tyndall as my husband works as a contractor there now since retiring 27 yrs in AF.

i'm just teasing north_is_best, though...it does seem a bit "restful" here in the fall.
heh heh. but i wouldnt say its comepletely without entertainment!! there are plenty of local things to do...but it does depend on your likes and desires. there is a completely different feeling across the bridge in Panama City Beach-- Pier Park (outdoor higer-end newer mall?) is practically right on the beach-thats a fun afternoon watching the locals sitting enjoying a drink at Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville...havent been there during spring break--i hear its remarkable--good AND bad! haha

honestly? i am going to be 46 this year.
its fun to watch foolishness from a deck of a restaurant...but i hate driving behind or in it!! LOL
i think if you look at this as a great adventure then you will find here what you seek.
make sense?
if you look for the bad---ITS DEFINITELY HERE.
but truly its where you are NOW also...so be positive and keep asking questions.
we'll all try to help with answers.

this is actually where i spent a TON of my time when i wanted to find out info on this area before i moved here. its how i found out about the good school my son attends now...so as they say here in florida--
Have a Blessed Day!! (they do NOT say this in ohio and i will tell ya that its rather nice to hear several times a day!)

Old 09-07-2009, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,381 times
i NEED HELP PLEASE!!! im moving to fort walton area in december after i graduate from college here in arkansas. Im not from here and i hate it!!!! There is nothing here and me and my husband want to raise our daughter in a good community with good schools. I have a girl friend that lives in niceville and we vacation there every year. I guess im just scared to up and move, we want to because like i said there is NOTHING in this arkansas town we call home. Ive heard alot of negative things on this site about florida...about how its hot, nothing but old rude people, no jobs, rent is too high...and frankly im alittle scared and discouraged...can anyone please give me alittle info on fwb area as far is how it is to live with a small child...she is 4...o and i have a criminal justice degree and my hubby is a mecanic at a dodge jeep dealership here and hope to transfer to one there....please anyway input would be GREAT!!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
The FWB area and Panama City Beach really are night and day- FWB is more family friendly, affluent, and just out and out nicer than Panama City, IMO. Schools are generally good to very good, and there are a ton of kids' activities. Pay isn't always the greatest in these parts, but the unemployment rate is only in the 7% range right now, and a good number of places are hiring.

If you're coming down here with a husband who has good job in hand, and you can pull in even $20K in addition to what he makes, you can live pretty comfortably as a renter down here. (Though if you want to buy, single family homes here tend to be more expensive than a lot of other places in the Southeast)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida