Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,630 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]Hello Florida[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I am active duty military and looking to retire at 44 yrs old in Florida. I am looking to move from Okinawa Japan to Florida in 1 1/2 years. I would like to live within 30-45 minutes of the east coast line of Florida if not on it. I am concerned about education for my 2 kids (current ages 13 and 10), crime rates, housing cost and employment opportunities. I an looking around the Boynton area. I am an avid scuba diving instructor and would eventually like to own a dive shop. I have an extensive Cryogenic Production background and before I start any scuba dive shop I may look toward that area to bring in income. My wife works as a Medical Assistant so she will be looking for a job in that area as well as something close to finish her nurse degree. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]My son is big into soccer and would like to continue and a competitive level so that is something I would also being looking for. Housing cost I will be looking to something in the 4 bedroom - $200K price range but I am flexible. I don’t want to be buying a dump. The last requirement is for a low crime rate since I am looking to raise a family there. This is something I am looking to buy and finish moving around the world as I have done through the last several years in the military....[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Ok now I will open it up to all...any ideas?[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:11 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times
Investigate Vero Beach. Just an idea. Use City Data demographics for research for all east coast cities in FL.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:59 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,607 times
You won't make a living running a dive shop.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:08 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,751,857 times
On the upper right corner from main FLORIDA forum, use the search feature for the same subject.
We have discussed this topic mega million times.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,330 times
Cool Florida's East Coast

Congratulations and thank you for your service! I retired from the Navy in 1999 and thoroughly enjoyed the friends and family I made during my tours.
I live in Palm Coast - Between Daytona Beach and St. Augustine. Dive shops are a dime a dozen in the lower portion of Florida, but there are opportununities in the Northeast and. . .you are only 6 hours to Key West if you want to sponsor any Dive Trips!
The other part I love about Palm Coast is that it is close to the Naval Stations in Jacksonville (make use of those benefits if you can), and there are a few artificial reefs that have been formed off the coast between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach. Oh yes, homes are much more reasonable here than the rest of the state as we are still a small town.
Visit my website if you would like more information: Northeast Florida Real Estate, Second, Vacation Homes, Condos, and Investment properties, absentee owner property management, ala carte real estate service or my site at Coastal Florida Real Estate, FLORIDA REAL ESTATE, Flagler County Real Estate, PALM COAST SECOND HOME REAL ESTATE, Luxury Homes, both have statewide mls listings for you to look at homes and prices throughout the east coast.
Congratulations and happy house hunting and Diving!

Old 10-30-2009, 02:38 AM

501 posts, read 1,881,894 times
Thanks for your service to our country!

But IMHO, you've set up a TALL ORDER, mister!

Yes, you will be able to find a "safe" house for your family in your budget, BUT the real challenge will be BOTH the schools and socialization of your kids! (You would still be buying into a "lower-end" neighborhood that would be considered "middle class" elsewhere in the USA). Your local schools would be considered "Fair to Poor," (unless there was a special county magnet or charter school program available.)

Remember that Florida is mostly full of retirees who ALREADY raised their kids up north and have no interest in schools (or rising taxes to fund them)!

On top of it, you're kids are now Cosmo and will have a tough time adjusting in neighborhoods in your price range (with the kids who have no clue where Japan is). Um, making rice wine may be a new valuable skill there!

My suggestion would be to work with an agent who specializes in Foreclosures (and YOUR headaches) in the most Cosmo markets in Florida -- Miami/FLL/Palm Beach areas. And that you RESEARCH the schools (including private) most suited to your family in those areas. That way, there'd be fewer adjustment issues for you and your family to adapt to -- as everyone there speaks a global perpective already.

Good luck with that in the rest of the State!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 10,725 times
Default Florida area

Hello,

I am a Realtor in Wellington Florida which is not too far away from the Beaches. We have A rated schools and great neighborhoods.
Contact me if you want more information. Have a great day.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM

9 posts, read 20,429 times
Also consider Martin County, Stuart area - I am a realtor in Martin/St Lucie area. Stuart is smaller than Port St Lucie and has good schools and a really nice environment for families.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 PM

206 posts, read 573,673 times
Love St Augustine, personally. Good schools, beaches, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida