Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 9,930 times

Advertisements

hello,

i will go to florida on holidays next year and i am very excited about that. i have read so many things about the state and i think that i will really like it there. but of course, as a tourist you always have a different view than someone who lives in the state.

i would like to know what kind of clichés are there about florida in general? and which of them are actually true? which of them are nonsense?

and also, what makes florida so special for the united states (is it even special to the usa?) why and in which way is it different from other states?

it would be nice if some florida inhabitants could tell me more about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 06:28 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,976 times
My favorite one is Bad Boys because it kinda portrays people with bad reputations having fun in the sun and living in drug infested areas known only in South Florida. South Florida does have a scandalous reputation and the TV land viewers who believe the TV gossip know that there is a lot of truth lying beneath the humor regarding South Florida‘s scandalous reputation.

Sex, money laudering, drugs, very tan women and handsome men are in S Florida but they are the ones obsessed with the "moment" and those who believe in that theory also believe that everyone must shine a light on me right now so you can view me better..Oops! Get my good side.......

Hollywood does endorse the existing clichés with the well known movie Scarface and the general "R" rated reputation area such as South Beach. It is those infectionsous areas that we all wish we could live and thrive on day by day and I say keep on keeping on Hollywood. Some Northerns believe it is actually accurate.. Is it?

Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times
The term 'Redneck' . For more info , go to www.wikipedia.com . But basically, its a man/boy (usually) who drives around in a pickup truck and is willfully rebellious toward authority , looks like he crawled out from under a rock, lives for getting drunk to drown his problems, and isnt too sophisticated or educated. Essentially, they are hopeless Rebels/Punks...so stay away from that breed.

You typically find more of them away from major cities ...out in rural parts of Florida , Alabama, Georgia, and Louisiana particularly.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:18 AM

is it really true that there are still many rednecks in florida? i thought they rather settled in alabama in georgia or the other southern states. but good to know...

why is florida different from other southern states? i mean, what do they have what florida doesn't or the other way round?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:09 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_lover09 View Post

why is florida different from other southern states? i mean, what do they have what florida doesn't or the other way round?
We have Northerners! Lots of them!

Old 11-01-2009, 05:14 AM

so are rednecks especially from the north? i have looked up some definitions for the term redneck but i still don't know what it really means... i always thought rednecks were white racists that used to live in the southern states. and i know that there are still some living down there but i didn't know that there were many in florida.
is the term crackers actually the same as redneck or do the two terms have s.th. in common?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,140 times
Yes the Badboy are here and believe me they do mean harm they are the great pretenders.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 AM

737 posts, read 1,648,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybittyspider View Post
Yes the Badboy are here and believe me they do mean harm they are the great pretenders.
Badboy Good ole boy, Very thin line.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:16 AM

okay i have googled a bit and i have found out that there are many rednecks up in the north, especially in pensacola. but what do you mean by redneck? can someone who lives in the states give a definition of a redneck? because i found many things... are they doing something "bad", do they all have a conservative view or how can i imagine a redneck?

Old 11-01-2009, 01:49 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,932 times
Prejudice,from pre=before & judice=judgement,judging before knowing the reality...
Cliche is french & I don't like french words...
Lets talk about stereotypes,from stereo=solid & types=impressions...

Solid impressions are right & wrong.
As an exaggeration,they are the salt & pepper which gives taste...

So,stereotypes,cliches,prejudices are welcome,if they are
a) real
b) positive...

Miami Vice,CSI,Scarface,Bad Boys ...made a solid impression for Miami & that was...good.
Added glamour to the city,something which Jax lacks completely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida