Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 PM

11 posts, read 68,106 times

Advertisements

I am going to FSU for graduate school fall 2010. I am very excited about FSU for several reasons, I will be able to intern at state/federal offices in Tallahassee, in state tuition is nothing to sneeze at, and from what I understand, the graduate programs at FSU are pretty well funded and a worthwhile investment.

Both of my parents went to FSU in the late 60s early 70s and then lived in Tallahassee until 1979. My mom is going to be a big help in suggesting places to look for apartments based on what Tallahassee was like back then, but I want to make sure that I have great input from people currently living/going to school in Tallahassee as well, in terms of places to look for apartments.

I am a big fan of walking and so I would love an apartment that is within walking distance, but is not too full of undergraduates so I think I need to steer away from anything by the stadium. Are there any other great apartments within walking distance of the school that cater to more of the graduate student/law school crowd?

My mom has recommended looking at College Plaza (again based on a roommate who lived there in the 70s) and also around Kate Sullivan Elementary school and E. Virginia ST area (including meridian, gadsden, park ave neighborhoods) Are these still good places for a single female graduate student to be looking for apartments? I want to keep my apartment price range from 400-850, if that helps with any suggestions.

Any help, tips, advice, etc that can be sent my way about apartments in these areas to look for, about being a graduate student at FSU, or the city of tallahassee would be great. I grew up out of state, but have been a Florida resident for about 10 years now, going to school at UCF (I have not been at UCF for that long, we all know it takes forever to graduate from there, but ten years would be extreme!)

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 08:44 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,143,510 times
I think you will love Tallahassee. Its a great mix of College, city, and suburban life. It is surrounded by wonderful natural things such as hiking and biking trails, Natural springs, state parks and the coast.

As far as apartments go... there should be some downtown that could provide for you.. It would be a 15 minute or walk to campus...

But as far as housing goes, you dont want to live anywhere directly around campus...

All of this housing is virtually undergrad and student housing..

You may have to live away from campus, and drive in to avoid having to deal with the other students..

If you know someone else who you may be rooming with or can get a few people together their are some nice neighborhoods within a 5 to 10 minute drive from campus, where you could rent a house... which would be much better than an apartment in my opinion.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:20 PM

57 posts, read 848,176 times
It all depends on what type of person you are...

-If you are in to partying still and going out, then you will be better off near campus. Closer to bars and nightclubs to walk, and close to campus to pull all nighters.

-If you are artsy/cetemporary person, check out the Gaines St./St. Michaels St. area. New townhomes for rent, in a new chic area.

-Anywhere on the northwest side of town is college areas. I would suggest possibly a townhouse, and rent it. There are tons, and most are much nicer than apartments. Lots of rental companies also offer houses to rent.

Newer area of town, Southwood, is southeast part of town. More pricey, but high end apartments with not many students, and younger adults. Not too far from campus, about 15 minutes.

I would take a trip up here one weekend and look around. Just remember, there are tons of places other than just the immediate area around campus.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:24 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,133,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent2010 View Post
I am going to FSU for graduate school fall 2010. I am very excited about FSU for several reasons, I will be able to intern at state/federal offices in Tallahassee, in state tuition is nothing to sneeze at, and from what I understand, the graduate programs at FSU are pretty well funded and a worthwhile investment.

Both of my parents went to FSU in the late 60s early 70s and then lived in Tallahassee until 1979. My mom is going to be a big help in suggesting places to look for apartments based on what Tallahassee was like back then, but I want to make sure that I have great input from people currently living/going to school in Tallahassee as well, in terms of places to look for apartments.
You mom isn't going to be as much help as you think. This place has changed CONSIDERABLY in the last 30 years. I've been here 22+ years and I almost cannot believe how much it is grown and changed - mostly for the better. You mom may not even recognize some parts of town anymore.

Quote:
I am a big fan of walking and so I would love an apartment that is within walking distance, but is not too full of undergraduates so I think I need to steer away from anything by the stadium.
You probably need to give up your dream of walking, unless you want to live in the area immediately east of downtown, which isn't so bad. Everywhere else in walking distance is either not a great neighborhood, or is full of drunken undergrads. Definitely stay away from the stadium or any area immediately north or south of campus - not good. East of campus is downtown and beyond that are some decent places to live for a pedestrian. West of campus is student ghetto.

Quote:
Are there any other great apartments within walking distance of the school that cater to more of the graduate student/law school crowd?
Individual townhouses east of downtown, yes. Apartment complexes? Not really. Most graduate and law students (I was a law student there too) lived well off campus in such a townhouse, duplex or a traditional apartment complex that was nicer than anything near campus. I lived in Blairstone Apartments, near the mall, which was very nice (15+ years ago, I think it still is pretty nice).

Quote:
My mom has recommended looking at College Plaza (again based on a roommate who lived there in the 70s) and also around Kate Sullivan Elementary school and E. Virginia ST area (including meridian, gadsden, park ave neighborhoods) Are these still good places for a single female graduate student to be looking for apartments? I want to keep my apartment price range from 400-850, if that helps with any suggestions.

Virginia Street west of Monroe is just about the worst part of town there is. DO NOT live there. It would be especially bad for a single female... Once you get closer to Meridian things are nicer and you could find an affordable and safe apartment there. Park Avenue, once you get away from campus, is generally pretty nice.

STAY AWAY from the neighborhoods around Virginia street and anything just north of campus.

Your best bet is to look in the NE quadrant of the city, in the areas east of Monroe (but this is less true the farther north you go), and north of Apalachee parkway. The farther north and east you go in this zone, the better. The best neighborhoods are out near and past Interstate 10 off Thomasville Road. But no way will you be walking...

Old 11-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Wow! Thanks everyone! this was extremely helpful, I will make sure to take all of this into account when I head up in December to start looking for places to rent. I just found out that FSU students ride StarMetro for free, so that plus the Seminole Express Bus Routes will make it much easier to find a place in some nicer areas and walk to a bus stop rather than all the way to campus. Safety is of course much more important to me than being able to walk, so I appreciate all the recommendations.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,665 times
Hey I'm going to be a grad student at FSU this fall as well. I go to Penn State currently and won't be making many trips to florida to check out housing. Are you interested in roommates or are you looking or something by yourself? And I know you posted this a while ago so if you already found something then I guess that's fine too =)

Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dng5018 View Post
Hey I'm going to be a grad student at FSU this fall as well. I go to Penn State currently and won't be making many trips to florida to check out housing. Are you interested in roommates or are you looking or something by yourself? And I know you posted this a while ago so if you already found something then I guess that's fine too =)
I got this msg a day too late, signed a lease this morning! I actually found really great non undergraduate digs so I wish you happy hunting as well.

ps: good luck in the fall

Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 16,342 times
I am sort of in the same boat, I've been made a pretty generous offer by FSU for grad. school but I'm in my late 20's. Does anyone have any information on graduate student life in Tallahassee? Is it easy to get to know people? I read another review where someone complained about graduate life but a lot of his criticisms seem to be about there not being any Catholics (I could care less about religion). Does anyone have any idea on when a good time would be for me to look for a place (ie June, July, etc)? I also read on a few threads where people said that North Florida part of the "South" but South Florida is not considered part of the "South". How "South" is Tallahassee? Is it more like Athens, Ga or Mississippi?

I have never been to Tallahassee but I like to do things outdoors, but I also like the convenience of living in a city so it seems like Tallahassee would be a good fit that way.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,143,510 times
JIM, you will be fine.. Tallahassee has plenty of restaurants and city attractions to keep you happy.

It also has wonderful parks, and is close to the beach, springs, hiking and biking.

You can also have fun paddling our numerous rivers nearby.

You wont have a problem meeting people here if you introduce yourself.. Its a great place.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorton View Post
I am sort of in the same boat, I've been made a pretty generous offer by FSU for grad. school but I'm in my late 20's. Does anyone have any information on graduate student life in Tallahassee? Is it easy to get to know people? I read another review where someone complained about graduate life but a lot of his criticisms seem to be about there not being any Catholics (I could care less about religion). Does anyone have any idea on when a good time would be for me to look for a place (ie June, July, etc)? I also read on a few threads where people said that North Florida part of the "South" but South Florida is not considered part of the "South". How "South" is Tallahassee? Is it more like Athens, Ga or Mississippi?

I have never been to Tallahassee but I like to do things outdoors, but I also like the convenience of living in a city so it seems like Tallahassee would be a good fit that way.
Jim- In florida, the rule of thumb is that you have to go north to get to the south. Tallahassee is an old southern town along the lines of Athens, GA if the choices are athens or anywhere in mississippi. I grew up in a coastal town in NC and love that Tallahassee reminds me of home. I was also worried about Tallahassee because I am in my late twenties as well and about to start graduate school, but my open house earlier in the spring cemented the fact that I've made the right choice in picking FSU for graduate school.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: