Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 12:17 PM

44 posts, read 299,240 times

Advertisements

I grew up California and moved to a COLD state. Big mistake. I am miserable here. So I am trying to find a nice place to live that is warm year-round. Florida sounds nice: oceans, beaches, close to attractions. But I hear so many negatives about Florida that I don't know what to do!

For the past year I have been saying "yes i'm moving there" then "oh wait no I'm not". I am going absolutely insane in my head going back and forth on the issue. I need to make a decision, maybe you guys can help?

I am open to moving anywhere in Florida besides big cities like Miami. Are there any places (maybe small/medium towns) that are truly a nice place to live? Places where there are no gangs, drugs, and little crime? The biggest issue is the schools- I keep hearing how bad they are and yet I can't imgaine that there aren't any good schools in the smaller towns. I just wish there was a nice place to raise a family. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 12:45 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
I raised my children on AMI...they went to preschool & grade school there. AMI is rated one of the best K-5.

Personally, I don't think your children or mine are safe anywhere...be it Florida or another state.

People on this board like to rip Florida apart because they can't get out of their own way. I have come to the conclusion that there are bad parts to every town & some just get over bad mouthed; however, it tends to be based on the experience of the hater. Crime & drugs are everywhere that you can look and the use you can't see is much greater than what's apparent. In that respect, good values & morals which can only be taught by family.

The best schooling begins at home. You will ultimately make the difference in your child's teaching....don't leave it to an educator who smokes dope in their spare time; there's plenty of that going on everywhere, not just Florida.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:52 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
ladywithafan--well put!

Old 05-14-2007, 09:36 PM

79 posts, read 210,225 times
I was from NJ and moved to FL. I feel my education in NJ was better than what my kids had initially. But then I started to investigate the schools and checked into their grading. Yes Virginia, there are good schools in FL. You have to look at the States Reports on the schools and then judge for yourself. There are also many private schools. But I do agree, the education begins first at home and with active involved parents, which from your expressed concerns, I am sure you are one. Personally, I like Forest High School in Ocala FL.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I would not trust this state's crime or school reports.

Florida economy was built on who they can attract, be it tourists or residents. There are no actual good jobs. Bear that in mind.

The state is a scam.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 AM

495 posts, read 2,329,471 times
Try Keystone Heights for good schools and family values.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post

People on this board like to rip Florida apart because they can't get out of their own way. I have come to the conclusion that there are bad parts to every town & some just get over bad mouthed; however, it tends to be based on the experience of the hater. Crime & drugs are everywhere that you can look and the use you can't see is much greater than what's apparent. In that respect, good values & morals which can only be taught by family.

The best schooling begins at home.
You will ultimately make the difference in your child's teaching....don't leave it to an educator who smokes dope in their spare time; there's plenty of that going on everywhere, not just Florida.
Exactly.
Our little Port St Joe (population 5,000) high school is sending one graduate to William and Mary, another to Yale, has sent two to Princeton, and many others to state colleges.
If you don't believe me, come to graduation on Monday evening.
The crime stats are in the city newspaper.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:05 AM

57 posts, read 297,017 times
Barbara, Forest High School in Ocala no longer exists. Forest was one of the better Marion County schools but rife with bad teachers,dope dealers,and constant fights that plague most of Marion County schools. The school is also quick to label and deem children from lower economic background 'severly emotionally disturbed'' because it brings in more revenue to the school district. The old Forest high school was replaced by Marion Technical Insitute.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 AM

12 posts, read 14,398 times
edison junior high in miami will do it for ya. lol

Old 05-16-2007, 06:33 AM

79 posts, read 210,225 times
JUST,
I was not aware of a name change, but my son just graduated from Forest last year, so it is still an active school. It was moved to Maricamp Rd, and yes the old campus was turned into a Tech school. As far as your other comments, I know the teachers at Forest, the majority are excellant, maybe you had a problem with one, but don't through everyone under the bus. Dope dealers, I find that hard to believe. We do you get your facts. Some Marion County Schools have problems, but show me a school that doesn't. Try going up in Paterson, NJ, that will so you dope dealers and violence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida