Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 22,302 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

How is everyone today? Good I hope.

I really need your help. I am seriously wanting to move to Florida prefer New Smyrna Beach area, as I have vacationed there before and loved it.

I am so tired of living in NY. The cold weather is my first reason, along with the pollution, rudeness and hustle and bustle.

I am tired of living and want to be alive to enjoy life and feel Florida is the place for me.

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice concerning housing and job.

I currently work as a Secretary and would enjoy continuing that type of position.

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 PM

45 posts, read 178,403 times
Volusia County has above 11% unemployment. If you don't have a job lined up, reconsider moving. I had a tenant who had to break her lease and return to Ohio; she was working 2 jobs as a nurse and still couldn't make enough money to live here. Wages are low here. It's a nice place to live, but unless you have a well-paying job or are retired with a decent retirement income, it's a struggle to live here. Many northerners come south to work and must head back north.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Cool News Flash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucine View Post
...I am so tired of living in NY. The cold weather is my first reason, along with the pollution, rudeness and hustle and bustle...
New Smyrna Beach is a great small town. Your OP doesn't state if you're NYC or State, as you might be in for a culture shock moving to such a small town if you're urban minded!

Visiting a place on vacation is VERY DIFFERENT than LIVING there.

FIRST, Florida HAS all these things I've quoted from your OP that you're dreaming of escaping from (including the cold weather depending on which part of the state you wind up in), so News Flash: THE GRASS ISN'T ALWAYS GREENER!

SECOND, I'd scour C-D from this year on Florida, the economy and jobs as there are some excellent posts and threads on this topic.

Also be aware that moving to such a small town like New Smyrna Beach -- unless you have friends or family there who can help you land a job -- you're a new STRANGER in town and will most likely be bypassed for a position to a local who has some standing in the community (if and when one becomes available).

If you have the resources to live off of for 2 years or so WITHOUT working, I'd say "go for it!" -- as it will take about that long for you to become "established" there.

Your only other option would be to research which companies are in the immediate area in FL where you would be able to transfer from NY, after landing a job with them up there first.

Otherwise, you might want to go step outside where you are (like taking a cold shower) and snap out of it!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 12-02-2009 at 11:49 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Default New Smyrna Beach, Florida Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post

: SECOND, I'd scour C-D from this year on Florida, the economy and jobs as there are some excellent posts and threads on this topic.

: Your only other option would be to research which companies are in the immediate area in FL where you would be able to transfer from NY, after landing a job with them up there first.
Currently in Middletown, NY renting so it's already a struggle.

What is C-D? Sorry new here and new to using a computer for online.

How do I research the companies in advance?

I appreciate all the help.

Thank you

Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Quote:
What is C-D? Sorry new here and new to using a computer for online.
C-D=City Data (this blog site). Go to the Florida Forum and click on "search" for keywords like jobs, economy, etc.

Quote:
How do I research the companies in advance?
Start with the company roster from local Chambers of Commerce from both areas and compare, then expand outward from there.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:24 PM

27 posts, read 132,507 times
Lucine,

When we arrived here, the job I got paid $40,000 a year for in South Florida paid $8 an hour here! It's never gotten better, lol.

You could commute to Orlando (uggh!) but you're taking your life in your hands and spending 2 hours a day on I-4 traffic.

New Smyrna has virtually NO industry beyond tourism and it's getting pretty scant nowadays.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:43 AM

Default New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I wanted to wish you all a very happy and wonderful holiday season!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM

15 posts, read 35,472 times
Any luck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida