Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:42 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

algia;12103007]Manhattan is an Island? WOW? When did it broke off?

Ok. Let's clear up a few things on your other points... Now that I know Manhattan is not an island.

manhattan map - Google Maps

Was it "mutual" when the two of you decided to come in the first place?
If it was, when did you figure out that it gets hot, etc etc. Last time I left a major life decision to a dog, I found out he was wayyy off base.

OK, you have this need to back to a museum or some gallery to view the very high quality arts on a regular basis? You expect to find this fine european art in Brooksville? if you did, you obviously didn't think about
that one too much, did ya? Hey, what is wrong with the art collection in the Ringling museum? If you were such a "expensive" traveler (I think you meant extensively and not expensively, but, why on earth would you have come to Spring Hill and not West Palm Beach, or one of the more "finer" areas of FL?

Again, don't get me started on the ARTS........if someone has lived in NY and had an interest in the arts and APPRECIATED GOOD/VERY HIGH QUALITY ARTS and moves here because is getting the impression that Tampa/Sarasota are similar that way, they will be HIGHLY disappointed! I lived in Europe and traveled expensively and have been in the arts and know what I am talking about...

If they are wearing winter coats here, for goodness sake, what would they be doing if it was COLD here?

Yeah, because people with health problems are wearing winter coats here and that's why they're hot! LOLOLOLOLOLOL Good one!

In the dead of summer I would recommend not going out if you are suseptible to heat realated illness and use the cooler parts of the day for you outdoor activities. Thats correct. I dont find it hyesterical.

So on one hand people move here because they are sick of winter and cold, but can't go out between 11am and 5pm???? .............lololololololol Hysterical!

I see I need to spell it out for you. 21 years ago I was making over $90k a year. I had a benefits package that would make a union auto workers union member cry. I make 1/2 that and live comfy here.

Have you read the criteria that they did that survey on?

Most people are happy that the quit.

Weather a person smokes? I was a very happy smoker before I quit! so

Nobody is complaining? Oy. Sorry to hear that your life is so busy and so active that people dont have the "time to smell the roses". At least they are doing something with their lives, tomatoes or not.

Nobody is complaining here, we are explaining that while this may be a good fit for you it may not be for someone else, your original post excludes a LARGE group of people who are not as satisfied as you are.....if I lived in Michigan now and was reading your post and moved here based on that I might be highly disappointed because in my 500+ home neighborhood no one is squeezing fresh juice or is allowed to have their own veggie garden, on the contrary people are at work between 9 to 6 or later and don't have time for such activities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! people are busy feeding their kids here where I live and don't have time to play with tomatoes!

So, walk to the local park where there are swings or choose a kid friendly development. When I was kid in Brooklyn those monkey bars got awfully hot in the summer too. So did the metal seats on the "adult" swings.
Remember those steel boxes they put the toddlers in. You could fry eggs on those things. those little sliding bars to hold the kid in were hot as
could be. When we fell off those monkey bars we landed on hard asphalt.
What do you mean "designed for kids"? Have you ever been to Disney World?

Florida was not designed for kids as they are not retirees interested in playing golf on every corner, or Hooters, Golden Corral, Barnhills and flea markets!! when we lived in Orlando for example the builder forgot that kids LOVE SWINGS and the playground we had there had no swings and when we asked to have one put in we were told that the respective "community was meat for walking!!" ?.......not to mention just HOW HOT these structures get and they are not protected from the sun at all.......

You've got to be kidding. Did you actually expect to have these things here? Why? If you needed them, I would have checked to see if they had these things or not. Or be closer to where they would be.
If you enjoyed these things in NY, perhaps it would have been wiser to stay there so you could still enjoy them today. No?

MINDLESS/BRAINLESS BUILDING....theater for children, puppet theater for the kids, ballets such as Snow White, Coppelia, Cinderella (I grew up on these back in Europe and many others) are non-existent here.....children museums...the list goes on and on....if you haven't been exposed to any of this you cannot relate........and no one is expecting you too, but if you have you will miss these things in Tampa and surrounding areas! especially if coming here from NY, and even more so if you enjoyed these in NY.

What? Please tell me what these things are. I wouldnt want a town full of deprived kids.

You're kids are missing even more in SH than in Tampa....and this is right on the money for Florida and Tampa, Orlando etc: and it is VERY SAD.
"Besides sports, there is little here for children to do, of course, if they are active in school sports, you'll spend your time, picking up kids at school, taking to practice, then back again to go home, I did it for 4 years and I know the time and energy I spent doing it. Older teens have nothing to do here, its either college or jobs. They mull around the shopping centers, till the sheriff tells them to move on, or they sit in Dunkin Donuts and even if they buy ice cream or donuts and coffee they are told to leave, yet, seniors can sit there for hours, these are good kids, polite, respectful of others and yet they are treated like second class citizens."

What does this have to do with FLORIDA?

If you want to read more non-sense about "happiness" read this:
5 Keys to Happiness | LiveScience

Like you can actually "PICK YOUR PARENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I guess these people at LiveScience are really out of touch with reality,

I dont need Kelly Services. I have a career. What did they study in college? Obvioulsy nothing that is actually in demand in the real world.
Why a lot of people were going to college for 4 and more years I was out busy making a living. I am way ahead of them.

Not to burst your bubble but people who went to college and are applying for entry level administrative jobs get paid $9 an hour!!!!!!!!!!!! why don't you look at jobs posted on Kelly services and the like employment agencies before you make such a stupid comment!

You didnt read. I live in Orlando from 88 to 2005. We travel the state extensively. Yes, its ALL a matter of personal preferences. Why else would someone come here? If someone didnt visit the area MANY times before deciding to come here they made a serious life changing decision without much thought. Very strange. I wouldn't move to a new neighborhood without knowing everything about it much less another state or city.

Look, the more I read your replies, the more you look like you found 3 square miles of paradise in Spring Hill and have been OUT OF TOUCH with reality for 21 years! So, how about resuming this thread to TAMPA and immediate surrounding areas and explain to people looking to move here that it is ALL a matter of personal preference and not set someone else's expectations of the area based on our personal experiences and most of all visit before moving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:44 AM

OK. That's fine. Whatever you like. Been there, huh? Wow.

Did you take the Circle Line Cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Do me a favor and look at the map from Mt. Vernon DOWN to Battery park, (yes I have been to NY)
An island is surrounded by water on all sides.......Manhattan is the southern tip but it is NOT detached from land scroll up the map and you will see, it is surrounded by water on 3 sides which makes it a peninsula! east 44 to east 55 to Taconic Parkway South to Saw Mill Parkway to South New York 9A brought us straight down to Battery Park from Poughkeepsie for example!

Florida is also a Peninsula.........

Old 12-20-2009, 09:00 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Never mind you're right I was wrong, I'll admit it........my bad I missed a bridge.....I guess I must have been busy taking pictures or something.........LOL SORRY, when I am wrong I usually admit it.

We don't live in Spring Hill, ........and yes the decision to move here was very mutual, of course it was mutual........we both get what we want out of this area.......would it be nice to have more art around? yeah, I don't call "hanging out at the mall" entertaining in any way....once again, we're on personal preference territory which has nothing to do with why people should or should not move here! and of course you and I will not agree on this and will have to agree to disagree!

We lived in Orlando for 4 years too.......and before that we lived in Miami/Fort Lauderdale......

Those people have been in college for 4 years and others for even more and now they take what they can get.....college degree doesn't equate $90k or even half of that a year in Florida from day one! it may in some job fields, but for sure not in all. Did you not know nowadays you need a degree to be a secretary? those jobs don't start at $40k a year? they never get there in Fl...

Disney gets old after a while.......and for sure not the ONLY type of entertainment kids should be exposed too!

Last edited by algia; 12-20-2009 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-20-2009, 09:08 AM

OK. Well, please do embelish some on your commentary. A lot of it seems very dated, past past events. Your discription of your child hood in rural new jersey does not exist in todays world there I am sure. However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post

So I guess they expected a bunch of teenagers to sit in a circle and talk about their feelings. Soda and candy? Wow!. Healthy hang out.
No loud music, no smoking, no running, jumping, no this, no that. (your words)
I wouldnt go there either.

Ask any kid in Spring Hill, whats there to do in Spring Hill and you will hear the same cry over and over again, NOTHING. At one time, the YMCA had a building on Deltona Blvd, they put in pool tables, computers, games, table tennis and told the kids they could use it when it was open. A few kids went, they had soda and candy, they were told no loud music, no foul language, no this no that.

Years before a father was tired of hearing his kids saying nothing to do, he rented a store front, put in all kinds of things for the teens, he had the kids paint the walls the way they wanted, his only rule was keep the place clean, no hanging out in the parking lot, things went along well for about three months then the older kids 20/21 started coming around, the storefront was owned by a local doctor and was just across the street from Pizza Hut,

So he expected these kids to come with rolls of quarters night after night and feed his machines and be good little boys and girls. Uh huh.
What are the 18-21 years olds supposed to do?

If it "drains the heart and soul out of everyone" why are so many people here? As kids we couldnt hang out in our own school yard at night becasue the "seniors" from the apartment buildings across the street did like the kids being there. Cops would come, chase us away. Stickball on the streets? Cops would come and take our mop stick bats. Hang out in a pizza place? Yeah, after you had your slice/coke you had better been out of there. Someone else wanted the table who was spending money. Same with the candy stores, deli's, movie houses, you name it. We couldnt hang out there. That was in the early 1970's.

What did kids do in the 1950's? They hung around the candy store and got thrown out of there is they werent spending money. I see a lot changed. In the movie :"American Grafitti" some of the kids wanted out of that boring town too. Some stayed and went on with their lives. Gee, see anyting in common here?

Friday nites the seniors from Timber Pines would go to the movies, saw the kids and started to complain to the doctor they were afraid of the kids, doctor cancelled the lease and the place was closed. No matter where teens in SH want to go, they either have the sheriffs office hassle them or the store owners, they want to hang out together, sit, talk, play cards. This is nothing new my daugther left here after going to PHCC, then went to William Paterson College in NJ, she will never ever come back here, she thinks this place is a wasteland, that drains the heart and soul out of everyone.

When was the last time you were in school in NW NJ? Pencils? You are dating yourself. Believe it or not kids have the 4-H here. They can pick oranges and citrus, no apples. They can raise animals and show them.
They can fish and hunt and skin deer here too. You can even go hunt alligators and skin them too! There is a cannery, open to the public, in Brooksville. The county pays for it. If my son wanted to bake I would break his head. There are PLENTY of local farms here with COWS and HAY. No moives? You are dating yourself again. Plenty of water to swim in here too. Lakes, Rivers and the Gulf. Go to the East coast and you got ocean. The boy scouts exists, so does the girl scouts and horse riding trails too! Kids here can do all this year round here. Plenty of church groups here and lots of kinds involved. Kids didnt drink beer or wine or booze in your day?

I can't tell you anything about LI, NY because I've never been there. I spent most of my time in NorthWest New Jersey. Where kids learn how to read and write, they can run a correct sentence and not use a pencil for the rest of their lives. I come from a rural area, where kids learned to can fruits, veg. where you could pick apples and bake. A area where boys learned to fish, hunt and skin a deer. Where you could go to the local farm and the farmer would help you learn about milking a cow, bale hay. There were no movies so we had most kids in our homes, for brownie parties, girl scouts, boy scouts and learn to ride a horse. In the summer there are swim clubs from all the lake communites. All were involved with church groups. There were no drugs, where they could go to a local corner and within 5 mins. someone pull up with maryjane.

They dont do that in other places? Pine Island is affected by the humans who live there and have lived there. Their septic tanks leak. Its a human problem. The little amount of droppings left by the dogs has no effect on the water quality overall.

Pine Island a beach, now thats a laugh, how many times a month is it closed due to bacteria. They have Doggie Day there once a month, and within 3 days the signs go up, high bacteria levels, wonder why, you think the dogs running in the water, pooping and peeing might have something to do with that.

I wont even go into your comments about education. What is it here? The teachers are more stupid?

Florida is a glorious place. If it werent, it would have never became what it is. Beautiful beaches, forests, lakes, rivers, big cities, small towns,
historical places, many national landmarks, a rich history, wonderful weather, variety of different kinds of places from Miami Beach to Gainesville. Horse country, agricultural areas growing citrus, vegtables, tropical fish, flowers and trees, huge state forests to enjoy with hiking trails and all kinds of educational pursuits at the fingertips of a Florida resident.

A negative remark is fine. Post all of them yu want. But saying that Florida is a wasteland full of unhappy people is simply an outrageous statement and peple are going to tell you that.

What in the world does freedom of speech have to do with anything? You can post all the negative points you want, but certainly other people are going to tell you what they dont agree with you. And give factual informaiton to back them up.

You want everyone to think that Florida is this glorious place. Sorry but there are others out there who will NOT agree with you, and sorry but you can't stop everyone who makes a negative remark, you see its a thing called Freedom of Speech, a right that I can exercise.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 AM

A bridge? How about a few of them.

What "art" do you want around? A museum? I dont call hanging out at the mall entertaining either. I dont like malls. I never said that people should or shouldnt move here. I am just saying WE ARE # 3

Quote:
Never mind you're right I was wrong, I'll admit it........my bad I missed a bridge.....I guess I must have been busy taking pictures or something.........LOL SORRY, when I am wrong I usually admit it.

We don't live in Spring Hill, ........and yes the decision to move here was very mutual, of course it was mutual........we both get what we want out of this area.......would it be nice to have more art around? yeah, I don't call "hanging out at the mall" entertaining in any way....once again, we're on personal preference territory which has nothing to do with why people should or should not move here! and of course you and I will not agree on this and will have to agree to disagree!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 AM

Craig: With tears in my eyes and a smile affixed to my face I am going to get on with my day. I have a pond to expand.

If I can stop laughing long enough to swing the hammer.

Some people, as you say, have been unhappy their entire lives, always will be. They need to be back there in 1955 with the victorla knocking out those 78's and a breeze blowing through the kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Kids will be miserable anywhere. life is boring for kids in most places.

The rural places predominantly harbor meth labs. comparitively speaking, marajuana isn't so bad. Matter of fact, I don't think the Pleasantville you speak of is as great as you think it was. You make it sound like leave it to beaver was a reality show filmed there. If you lived there in the 50s, I assure you it has changed. teenagers running meth labs in trailer parks and killing animals with pipe bombs is what happens in boring towns like that from the 80s on.

I don't think dogs running in the water is causing bacteria closures. people go to the bathroom off the side of boats all the time. Whales poop and pee in the ocean and it is just fine. whales are bigger then dogs.

There are children coming out of impovershed inner city schools and doing just fine in college. sounds like a lot of excuses. College is a challange, some people rise to the occasion, some don't. enough said about that.

I dont think anyone is trying to prevent you from speaking your mind. they are entitled to their opinion just as much as you are.

To be honest, the town you describe above sounds like hell. skinning deer, canning fruit, and going to church groups sound dreadful. Sorry you had to experience that. Florida is not for everyone, but again, people who are unhappy here will generally be unhappy anywhere, and that is MY opinion, which I am entitled to, but you seem to already know that.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:26 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
Quote:
Manhattan is an Island? WOW? When did it broke off?

manhattan map - Google Maps

Have you never been there or looked at a map before? if it was an island it would have been called "Manhattan Island", like LONG ISLAND/STATEN ISLAND ETC.........LOLOLOL
Really? Manhatten is NOT an island? Oh boy...did I miss something since I left NY? Is Washington Heights now connected by land to the Bronx? What the?!...

OK, i now see you made a mistake algia..no problem...

As far as kids being bored in Tampa and nothing to do around here, what is missing for the kids to do?? I see plenty of parks, recreation centers, school activities, arts/crafts clubs, book clubs, libraries, skating rinks, skateboard parks, BEACHES, fishing, music centers......im not sure I understand the boredom part? Just looking to see what the area may be missing for the kids....

Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
BASED ON WHAT? you are keep saying that but the criteria used not only doesn't apply to everyone, but it is also based on frivolous activities! happiness starts at home with the family.....not at the gym or in the air we breath...or at work even!

The US population is about 308 million...1.3 million people interviewed around the country (not even just Florida alone) tells me nothing.......needle in the hay stack! and They ranked Louisiana the happiest? are you kidding me? worst school system anywhere, huge Katrina damage that is nowhere nears being fixed........who the heck did they interviewed there? Harry Connick Jr???? Brad Pitt? Emeril? he says e interviewed people before Katrina but he has NO REASON to doubt his survey now!!!!!!!!! OMG! that guy is living in another bubble!

Look, you can't EVER judge someone's happiness based on rush hour or traffic in general! It IS expected to have traffic everywhere in a metro area! Florida is not a walkable state.....in anyway...there are areas, very few, in which someone can walk to something, but it is unrealistic to base someone's happiness levels on traffic! traffic is like brushing your teeth every day no matter where you are!!! if you don't want to deal with traffic, then move in the middle of nowhere in Kansas! or in Auburndale........

My point is simple, these surveys are absolutely useless because they are based on things which normally have nothing to do with someone's happiness......if someone is getting divorced and has kids in the middle of it do you think they'll respond they are happy because the traffic in their area is not that congested? really? or that even if they are divorcing they are happy just because the air is clean on their street?

I don't buy these types of surveys, they are a complete waste of re-search money and time.......and are subjective and usually based on frivolous activities.....what about the US's 60% overweight population, I am sure they answered "yes"! they are happy to shove down a whole ice cream tub because well, the traffic's slow enough and they can eat it while they driving! right?

Old 12-20-2009, 02:34 PM

No matter what, it was a valid study, properly conducted, well prepared.
No matter what, WE ARE #3!! Florida, its not a place to live, its a life style.

Quote:
BASED ON WHAT? you are keep saying that but the criteria used not only doesn't apply to everyone, but it is also based on frivolous activities! happiness starts at home with the family.....not at the gym or in the air we breath...or at work even!

The US population is about 308 million...1.3 million people interviewed around the country (not even just Florida alone) tells me nothing.......needle in the hay stack! and They ranked Louisiana the happiest? are you kidding me? worst school system anywhere, huge Katrina damage that is nowhere nears being fixed........who the heck did they interviewed there? Harry Connick Jr???? Brad Pitt? Emeril? he says e interviewed people before Katrina but he has NO REASON to doubt his survey now!!!!!!!!! OMG! that guy is living in another bubble!

Look, you can't EVER judge someone's happiness based on rush hour or traffic in general! It IS expected to have traffic everywhere in a metro area! Florida is not a walkable state.....in anyway...there are areas, very few, in which someone can walk to something, but it is unrealistic to base someone's happiness levels on traffic! traffic is like brushing your teeth every day no matter where you are!!! if you don't want to deal with traffic, then move in the middle of nowhere in Kansas! or in Auburndale........

My point is simple, these surveys are absolutely useless because they are based on things which normally have nothing to do with someone's happiness......if someone is getting divorced and has kids in the middle of it do you think they'll respond they are happy because the traffic in their area is not that congested? really? or that even if they are divorcing they are happy just because the air is clean on their street?

I don't buy these types of surveys, they are a complete waste of re-search money and time.......and are subjective and usually based on frivolous activities.....what about the US's 60% overweight population, I am sure they answered "yes"! they are happy to shove down a whole ice cream tub because well, the traffic's slow enough and they can eat it while they driving! right?

Old 12-20-2009, 02:36 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
No matter what, it was a valid study, properly conducted, well prepared.
No matter what, WE ARE #3!! Florida, its not a place to live, its a life style.

I'll drink to that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida