Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You are posting on here because?
I am thinking about moving to florida. 10 14.93%
I am moving to florida soon or at some point. 15 22.39%
I currently live in florida and am happy here. 27 40.30%
I currently live in florida and cant wait to leave. 12 17.91%
I don't live here or want to move here, just surfing. 3 4.48%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:40 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,471 times

Advertisements

Truthfully? I get a kick out of reading some of the wild notions people have about Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 05:27 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Well, I am interested in moving to florida. I wanted to see if there were more happy or unhappy people posting on here.

When reading posts on here, positive or negative, it is hard to figure out the posters motivation behind the post.

Thank you for responding dnc19694339, I have the same interests as you, but was wondering what was your reason, hence my question as to why you posted a question and didn't offer a response. There are happy and unhappy people for different reasons, what makes one person happy makes another miserable, then there are those with agendas, who knows and who really cares. I find that most people here are honest in their opinions, we benefit from both the negative and positive. You sift and weed out those that don't make sense and/or are not objective. Works for me. Again, I appreciate your answer.

As for flaming mr. doogiebus, my question was not intended as such, it was a genuine question. I can assure you that mine is not the case, I am not here to cause trouble or anything of the sort, however, it is your choice to delete a post as you see fit but I see many, many posts that do require deletion and thus are not, some disparity here. Oh well, c'est la vie. Cheers!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:34 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I have been here for 20 years and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

I post on here to try and help people with information but also to dispel false claims.
Are they all false claims or just your perceptions of others experiences/opinions? You want it nice and hot, Tanaples wants it much colder. I guess it really is 'We report you decide' like FOX... in the end not really unbiased. Different points of view edcuate us all not those who think exactly like us.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Just trying to get an idea of the motivation behind posters on here.
What about none of the above. Well I've lived here so long I am a seminative. Most important reason for me is to hear what others who live here, used to live here or are thinking of coming here are up to have on their minds these days.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Are they all false claims or just your perceptions of others experiences/opinions? You want it nice and hot, Tanaples wants it much colder. I guess it really is 'We report you decide' like FOX... in the end not really unbiased. Different points of view edcuate us all not those who think exactly like us.
Well, it is more like someone says that it is 90 degrees, every day, 10 months of the year. Not as an opinion, they are stating it is fact when it is clearly not.

If you check my posts you will notice that I will post my preferences but if I also post data I will back it up with links as proof.

If you check the threads about the weather you will find many posts where people claim that they have been here 20-30 years and it has gotten hotter.
No temperature charts, no average weather over the years.

I counter with climate reports from the State of Florida showing the average temperature has been relatively stable for the last century.

That is the difference between someone posting untruths and me dispelling them with facts.

I am not claiming to never being wrong but I don't just blurt something out without a shred of proof and claim it as truth.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:08 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
I have lived in FL for 27 years and like it or I wouldn't still be here.

I was considering checking out when all the hurricanes came to FL in 2004 and 2005 but decided that every place has some kind of weather to deal with so stayed.

Since I have been here and met many people it seems that either people love or hate FL. I had friends that came down for 3 months and hated every minute of it and others that love living here.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Well, it is more like someone says that it is 90 degrees, every day, 10 months of the year. Not as an opinion, they are stating it is fact when it is clearly not.

If you check my posts you will notice that I will post my preferences but if I also post data I will back it up with links as proof.

If you check the threads about the weather you will find many posts where people claim that they have been here 20-30 years and it has gotten hotter.
No temperature charts, no average weather over the years.

I counter with climate reports from the State of Florida showing the average temperature has been relatively stable for the last century.

That is the difference between someone posting untruths and me dispelling them with facts.

I am not claiming to never being wrong but I don't just blurt something out without a shred of proof and claim it as truth.
Ever think your blood is thinning too much? I wish I could thin my blood too except for when those rare cold snaps hit...lol

records set from April to Dec 2009 documented for you

South Florida might see record heat on Friday

Record-Setting Heat Bakes Polk County | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

CapitalClimate: More Florida Heat Records in July

Ft. Lauderdale Hits 100 Degrees, Shatters Record - cbs4.com (http://cbs4.com/local/weather.heat.wave.2.1054314.html - broken link)

Record Halloween heat for Georgia-Florida? *| ajc.com

South Florida heat sets record - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com (http://74.125.93.132/search?hl=en&q=cache:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-record-heat-brf-20091210,0,1208456.story&cad=h - broken link)

Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 PM

25 posts, read 42,873 times
I am posting here because I want to learn about the towns in Florida that meet our specific needs as a family.

I see a lot of great positives but also see some very nasty negatives. I often wonder why people hate something so much that they spend time bashing it instead of finding ways to make your life better and move on.

We want to be in Florida or we would not be wasting our time looking. Many of our friends we grew up with and went to college with have moved south with most of them being in Florida or lower Georgia. We maintain daily to weekly communication with several of them and we do not hear the negatives from them other then the normal traffic issues like is posted here.

I wonder why those who have a dislike for Florida see as the reason for them being so negative about it.

I came here to learn knowing there is good and bad, I see it as almost a challenge for us to work hard in the research of the town we decide to move to. A challenge I look forward to having with the hopes that our decision may change our lives for the better.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:27 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Are you posting on here because?
Because I'm bored and have nothing better to do..

Old 01-15-2010, 01:40 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Ever think your blood is thinning too much? I wish I could thin my blood too except for when those rare cold snaps hit...lol

records set from April to Dec 2009 documented for you

South Florida might see record heat on Friday

Record-Setting Heat Bakes Polk County | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

CapitalClimate: More Florida Heat Records in July

Ft. Lauderdale Hits 100 Degrees, Shatters Record - cbs4.com (http://cbs4.com/local/weather.heat.wave.2.1054314.html - broken link)

Record Halloween heat for Georgia-Florida? *| ajc.com

South Florida heat sets record - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com (http://74.125.93.132/search?hl=en&q=cache:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-record-heat-brf-20091210,0,1208456.story&cad=h - broken link)
Well we both know that we just had record cold so what is your point.
There are weather extremes all the time.

There are also more than enough weather threads, that is not what this thread is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida