Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:51 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

A lot of ppl come and go, like you said chrisrousseau. That's an issue for sure. Hard to gain and keep good friends. We've already had several move to NC in the 3 yrs since moving back to FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 02:04 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
Certain areas can be quite transient. Especially in the SE. You see a ton of snow birds down here. Our community is about 50/50. This cuts your potential friend list in half. Then when you consider that many of the neighbors move in and out as property values soar and crash and you have quite the amount of turn over.

Then throw in some social media warriors and your odds of meeting someone you click with lower more.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Old topic but still relevant advice on meeting people in any city.
Lake Wales Family YMCA

Old 08-07-2016, 12:40 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
A lot of ppl come and go, like you said chrisrousseau. That's an issue for sure. Hard to gain and keep good friends. We've already had several move to NC in the 3 yrs since moving back to FL.
There are also many people who move to FL that have no interest in making friends. There really is no sense of community in most places in FL. That, on top of the state already being so transient, can create a bad situation for some.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:59 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Agreed PDF. glad you're doing well man!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:04 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
We have only lived here a little over a month. Our first weekend we had a garage sale and met a lot of people! Many many friendly folks who welcomed us and talked about the area. We also have met great people casually out and about, some interesting stories to. We haven't made any real friends, none that we would exchange numbers and such yet but I expect in time to do so. We are late 20s with no kids so.. Hard to find friends like us. Most our age have kids and are busy (our experience when we lived in Ohio to).

Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
We have only lived here a little over a month. Our first weekend we had a garage sale and met a lot of people! Many many friendly folks who welcomed us and talked about the area. We also have met great people casually out and about, some interesting stories to. We haven't made any real friends, none that we would exchange numbers and such yet but I expect in time to do so. We are late 20s with no kids so.. Hard to find friends like us. Most our age have kids and are busy (our experience when we lived in Ohio to).
I have found if you deal with people in a rational manner they tend to be accepting.

I have met people who start off, virtually right away, with their complaints about everything from their neighbors, politics, hatred of one thing or another. It is those people who immediately cause me to never want to speak with again.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
There are also many people who move to FL that have no interest in making friends. There really is no sense of community in most places in FL. That, on top of the state already being so transient, can create a bad situation for some.
The thing is ......in order to have a sense of community the new comers have to get involved and attend community things.
Volunteer, join clubs, take a class, take tennis or some other sport lessons like surfing,paddle boarding or whatever you find fun, get on a sports team to play softball, baseball etc, don't be afraid to ask co workers to go to a movie, an art fair, a concert together as friends( they might be just as alone as you looking to find a friend), take walks in the neighborhood(especially if you have a dog makes it easier to meet neighbors, etc. You just can't stay in the house with your curtains closed and doors locked. Going to bars can be fun but not always the best way to make new friends unless it is a sports bar and you are cheering the same team maybe.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:26 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
There are many people everywhere that have no interest in making friends. Want sense of community?
Join the neighborhood watch group, join the local homeowners association, go walk your dog and chat with others doing the same thing, join a group of people who have a common hobby or interest.

I believe this "transient" thing is bs. Show me proof.

People Are Moving Again. Destination: Florida | US News

Old 08-08-2016, 10:39 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
My family and I are planning to move to Florida later this year. We have lived literally all over the nation but have never been to Florida so we are looking forward to it.

We are experienced enough travelers that we know no place is ideal. But we focus on the positives as much as possible.

I have noticed, in my moves and settling down in different areas, it seems more difficult to make friends in larger cities. I wouldn't say this is an absolute rule, but it has seemed that way for us.

Obviously I cannot speak for Florida or its citizens, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was harder to make friends in, say, Orlando or Miami as opposed to some smaller towns that perhaps attract fewer tourists and transient or part time folks.

We are looking to try out the upper Gulf Coast first, around the Panama City area. I have friends who moved down there a few months back and love it. (They tried out Pensacola first and had a difficult time finding a foothold.) My sister has lived in the Destin/Ft. Walton Beach area for many years and claims she'd never live anywhere else.

I am well aware no place is perfect, and for all we know we may only remain in Florida for 2 or 3 years. It just depends on how things work out. We are thinking if we start in Panama City and don't care for it, we may make our way down the Gulf Coast towards St. Pete and see if we like it, or someplace in between.

We do hope to make friends, but if we don't, it won't dissuade us from trying out ilfe in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida