Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 09:06 AM

578 posts, read 1,777,751 times

Advertisements

According to CNN States are raising taxes on businesses to recover unemployment benefits and in some places like Florida it is going to be dramatic.

The article states that Florida will raise it's minimum payroll tax to $100.30 per employee this year, up from $8.40. About half of the state's employers pay the minimum. The state also raised the taxable wage base to $8,500, from $7,000.

This means those who are sitting on the sidelines waiting for the right job to come along or will not take a job that "Americans refuse to do" might feel the pressure from law makers and the general population to get a job and not suck off of the tax payers anymore.

Even in this bad economy there are jobs for those who want them. They may not pay much but at least it stops adding to the problem which will be passed down to the tax payers.

I think rules should be enacted so that people have to be more active in the job search rather than just showing up to get a check and giving lip service as to how things are going. I mean this is another example of how people do not think about some getting a free ride hurts tax payers. Kind of like smoking pot is a victimless crime. Yeah right.

If you want to read the article, here is the link.

Companies paying more in unemployment taxes - Feb. 9, 2010

Last edited by 2goldens; 02-10-2010 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: Moved from PSL, FL to FLORIDA main forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,570,003 times
This morning on CNN's Squawk Box something was said about taxes rising in Florida, but I didn't catch it as I was out of the room most of the time. Wonder if there is more about taxes rising than this now?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:26 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,214,605 times
Oh yes the wonderful state of Floriduhh, will they ever learn? This is honestly the most jacked up place I've ever lived. When things seem to be getting "normal", they always find a way to screw it up. This "law" will only put more businesses out of business, and believe me people will not be pressured into getting a job at all. Remember all the years you had a job, SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE was collecting unemployment. If you've been paying into the system, then GET YOURS! Florida jobs suck anyway.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,955 times
I'm pretty sure FL lawmakers have put that plan on hold. The problem is it would have required drastic increases in the unemployment tax that businesses pay. This is needed because the fund is GONE and FL has been borrowing from the federal government to pay unemployment benefits since last year. The lawmakers have decided that it is better to keep borrowing from the feds than to increase taxes on FL businesses right now.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
This is needed because the fund is GONE and FL has been borrowing from the federal government to pay unemployment benefits since last year. The lawmakers have decided that it is better to keep borrowing from the feds than to increase taxes on FL businesses right now.
This. They underfunded that account for a decade or more because they thought that, hey, 5% or less unemployment would last forever so they could get away with it even though it was a really bad policy decision.

And then y'all know what happened.

It's interesting how state government can actually be quite good with some fiscal/financial responsibilities and so horrible in other somewhat similar areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida