Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:08 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post

How are you getting your insurance, through Employer or individual insurance?
Company?
Who are you covering?
Premium cost?
Self-Employed individual
BCBS
Three people
$263 per month, $10,000 deductible, go abroad for about everything, unless stuck with an emergency in the US.

I hate to be political, but those who expected any meaningful reform have been duped: the current majority doesn't have the guts to propose a real single-payer system, it just trying to tinker with the hopeless hodgepodge to pay off one set of special interests rather than pay off another set of special interests, useless, possibly even more damaging than the shameful system as it is now.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Been looking at health insurance for family of three. We currently live in Costa Rica with 100% coverage and no deductible @ ~$200/month - the costs for such coverage in the US are prohibitive. Way to go "First World."

Our best option is to insure ourselves at a high deductible in the US and fly back to Costa Rica for any and all treatments other than emergencies. Medical care at some hospitals here easily meets US standards and is MUCH cheaper.

It's a sad and appalling state of affairs.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:35 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Humana
My employer covers my cost
DH pays $100 per month, employer covers the rest

Old 02-26-2010, 09:45 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Been looking at health insurance for family of three. We currently live in Costa Rica with 100% coverage and no deductible @ ~$200/month - the costs for such coverage in the US are prohibitive. Way to go "First World."

Our best option is to insure ourselves at a high deductible in the US and fly back to Costa Rica for any and all treatments other than emergencies. Medical care at some hospitals here easily meets US standards and is MUCH cheaper.

It's a sad and appalling state of affairs.
Are you an American? It is funny you mention that. I was just talking to a friend I had not sen in a while and he has moved to Costa Rica.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Are you an American? It is funny you mention that. I was just talking to a friend I had not sen in a while and he has moved to Costa Rica.
No. I lived in the US for roughly 20 years. My wife and child are US citizens, though. We've been living in Costa Rica for roughly 10 years and are contemplating whether we should move back to the US. Life down here is fantastic and it's not easy to give this up - the cost of health insurance is, of course, one of our considerations....

In many respects, that cost (combined with ridiculous benefits) is one of the major draw-backs that has presented itself.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:35 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
My wife and I worked for Obama and gave 10 of thousands of dollars to his campaign based just on this one issue, health care reform. Basically I am not political at all but this issue moved me.
Cool. I voted for Obama because he promised to have our troops home by June 2010.

Looks like we both got taken for a ride.

This reminds me of when my wife (registered dem) got a letter from the DNC asking for money to stop the Roberts confirmation because it would mean the "end of legal abortion". The democrats a month later confirmed the guy by a landslide and pocketed the money to get themselves re-elected. (Republicans are no different.)

Old 03-04-2010, 01:12 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
About $230 per month, individual plan, one person, Golden Rule (United Health) with a $2000 year deductible on certain expenses. I'd like to find a better plan but I need to look for one.

I could tell during the debates between Obama and Hillary that Obama didn't really have a real health care plan proposal. Now we see the results of leaving it up to congress.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
Before u complain,have in mind that in a foreign country,
like Greece,
public insurance + Social Security tax total around ...12 minimum wages...the equivalent of ...$ 15K ,for the average Amer couple...Plus,u pay 20% of the cost of medications,plus the infamous ..."envelope",greek slang for ...bribes to public doctors...in order ,for example, to have surgery within ...1 month instead of 3...

If u pay up to $15K for insurance+SS tax,don't say a word,u live in heaven...

Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Before u complain,have in mind that in a foreign country,
like Greece,
public insurance + Social Security tax total around ...12 minimum wages...the equivalent of ...$ 15K ,for the average Amer couple...Plus,u pay 20% of the cost of medications,plus the infamous ..."envelope",greek slang for ...bribes to public doctors...in order ,for example, to have surgery within ...1 month instead of 3...

If u pay up to $15K for insurance+SS tax,don't say a word,u live in heaven...
We ar very close, only a few years or so, to gene mapping. Can you imagine. You will get turned down for insurance because you have a certain Gene even though you haven't been sick a day in your life. The world is changing very very fast and old ideas are going to have to just go the way of a DoDo bird. We don't even know what the future brings for todays young people. Remember when Dick Tracy had a wrist radio and it was just a fantasy? The cell phones we all have today was not even anyones brain child yet. Our government has to see the world through new eyes but that is hard with members who are basically elderly and cling to old ideas and beliefs. Change will take place, it is the natural course of things but I doubt I will live to see it.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:59 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Nothing, can't afford it. Even if I bought it I have to take multiple medicines everyday for the rest of my life. Averages out to about $300 month I can't afford. And if I don't take my medications I will die. Thank God for Prescription Assistance programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida