Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:22 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,065 times

Advertisements

This is way overdue; It's estimated that more than 800,000 people drove cars last year while their license was suspended or revoked. The legislation would give police the authority to seize cars driven by a person whose license has been suspended and if a person is found driving with a suspended license their vehicle can be impounded.

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI39374/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 12:58 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
This is way overdue; It's estimated that more than 800,000 people drove cars last year while their license was suspended or revoked. The legislation would give police the authority to seize cars driven by a person whose license has been suspended and if a person is found driving with a suspended license their vehicle can be impounded.

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI39374/

Way overdue is right, when I lived in Brevard County one of my neighbors was arrested 4 times for driving on suspended license. Two of those arrest were DUI's as well, which is why his license were suspended in the first place.
It's bad here in TN also, a lot of people drive with no license or insurance.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:16 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,137,294 times
There are more people taking up space in FL prisons/jails for suspended licenses....this could be a real problem if you get suspended by mistake....of all the things to go in for, this is the worst...don't think it can't happen to you...it has to me & it was all due to mail lost in a move...as far as the DUI thing, well, that kinda goes without any justification...but to get your car impounded, go to jail & deal with all that .... not right.....

It's about as lame as the girl in tampa who was raped during gasparilla & ended up in jail (with an old warrant for god knows what) and a jail worker who refused to give her the second dose of the morning after pill....because of the jail worker's personal religious beliefs...

I see more lawsuits that will stem from irresponsible FL police screwing things up......

Old 02-13-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
There are more people taking up space in FL prisons/jails for suspended licenses....this could be a real problem if you get suspended by mistake....of all the things to go in for, this is the worst...don't think it can't happen to you...it has to me & it was all due to mail lost in a move...as far as the DUI thing, well, that kinda goes without any justification...but to get your car impounded, go to jail & deal with all that .... not right.....

It's about as lame as the girl in tampa who was raped during gasparilla & ended up in jail (with an old warrant for god knows what) and a jail worker who refused to give her the second dose of the morning after pill....because of the jail worker's personal religious beliefs...

I see more lawsuits that will stem from irresponsible FL police screwing things up......

If you drive without a license you must pay for the consequences. Simple, don't drive. If the police makes a mistake, use your given rights and do what you think is proper.

I read sometime back that drivers without license do affect the insurance policy rates of those that have insurance. I'll see if I can find the reference.

And if they don't have a license they probably don't have insurance, now that is a greater problem.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Honestly, Sunrico, I didn't know the cops couldn't take your car for driving without a license. I know someone that did that in Fort Myers and they impounded his car. He said that is standard operating procedure there.

I don't have anything against the practice, mind you, I just thought that's what the cops did, anyway.

What I find odd about Florida is the cops penchant for checking everyone's driver's license. If the driver gets stopped for speeding, they check the licenses of eveyone in the car. I find that strange.

We had to call the Lee County cops once. They came to our home, and then proceeded to check OUR driver's licenses. It is pretty much a psychological deal with them. Let's you know who is in charge. You can turn them down, I'm sure, because it is not legal, but then you are put in the awkward position of looking like you have something to hide.

Florida cops creeped me out. It's nice to see real cops, again, who are there to protect and serve.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Honestly, Sunrico, I didn't know the cops couldn't take your car for driving without a license. I know someone that did that in Fort Myers and they impounded his car. He said that is standard operating procedure there.

I don't have anything against the practice, mind you, I just thought that's what the cops did, anyway.

What I find odd about Florida is the cops penchant for checking everyone's driver's license. If the driver gets stopped for speeding, they check the licenses of eveyone in the car. I find that strange.

We had to call the Lee County cops once. They came to our home, and then proceeded to check OUR driver's licenses. It is pretty much a psychological deal with them. Let's you know who is in charge. You can turn them down, I'm sure, because it is not legal, but then you are put in the awkward position of looking like you have something to hide.

Florida cops creeped me out. It's nice to see real cops, again, who are there to protect and serve.
The cops in our area are friendly, you have the right to can ask the reason why and if they don't answer you can process a complain.

Maybe we have a versed cop or lawyer in our forum and can further explain the legal position on this matter.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 12,707 times
driving on sus. aint nothing and is takin to seriously....some people gotta work and take their kids places and you cant depend on someone else to do it

Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 12,707 times
i gotta driving on sus. in delray florida....what do thaey do for the 1st offense in florida??..im from kentucky and dont know the law for driving in fl??????

Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 PM

79 posts, read 76,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post

WSVN-TV - Florida bill cracks down on drivers with suspended licenses
......and of those 800,000 people, 789,999 of those people reside in Miami-Dade county.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:58 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,221,289 times
I'll believe this when I see it. They can't even pass a law prohibiting texting while driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida