Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:36 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times

Advertisements

Check out Pinellas County. The beaches stretch the entire length of the county and there are plenty of bars, hotels/resorts to work at.

There will be a younger crowd than Naples and close to but not quite as many of the young crowd as Miami. Miami certainly has a lot to offer but you will also want to consider your cost of living.

I have lived in SW Florida in the Ft.Lauderdale and then Davie areas and worked in Miami, I also lived a little west of Daytona and had a few accounts there, I then moved to Pinellas and stayed on the west coast (I am a little north of Pinellas now). Out of all the areas I found Pinellas/Gulf Coast to be the best for me but of course we are all looking for different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissIndependent View Post
Hello,
I am an 18 (soon to be 19) year old female college student, but I am looking to move to one of these three places next year and hope to become a bartender. Does anyone have an opinion for me? All I want is to be able to see a sunset during my days off, and hopefully a good assortment of resorts to apply to, or nightclubs. Other than that, do you have any advice or descriptions of these places? All opinions are greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I'm being realistic (and I have tended bar and managed restaurants all my life in this state.)

First of all, you have no bartending experience. You cannot expect to get a good-paying bartending job. It's a skilled profession. You might find something in a beer joint if you're cute. If you're a college student, do you plan to continue your education? If so, you should be looking at universities to attend and find work there.

The legal age in Florida is 21. You may tend bar at 18, but some landlords will not rent to you.

Sunsets are for the west coast of Florida, sunrises for the east. I would suggest Pinellas County, as well. Have some money saved, it may take you awhile to find a job. And be very careful, please. I'm already worried for you.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:37 AM

21 posts, read 63,363 times
Thank you for the information. I'm hoping for any type of resort work, in the very least, and that is good to know about bartending. I was planning on attending bartending school, so hopefully that will help me! I'm a college student right now, but after this year I'm not planning on going back for quite a while. And thank you for the concern! I'm a very careful girl

Old 03-17-2010, 06:50 AM

4 posts, read 12,602 times
I would recommend Miami for young people. If you are looking for a job as a bartender this might be your best choice also. But it is also very expensive, noisy and crowded. You have to like the "Miami style". I did not. But maybe that's just because I'm too old

Naples:
Very nice area, but lots of "old folks". There is lots of money but I don't see too much opportunity to work as a bartender there.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,974 times
Quote:
Thank you for the information. I'm hoping for any type of resort work, in the very least, and that is good to know about bartending. I was planning on attending bartending school, so hopefully that will help me! I'm a college student right now, but after this year I'm not planning on going back for quite a while. And thank you for the concern! I'm a very careful girl
Bartending school is pretty much a scam. I personally have never hired anyone who attended one, in fact it's a red flag. I look for personality and experience in the service industry. You'd be better off getting a server position in a place with a busy bar business and learning from the inside.

Also, most coastal areas are very seasonal. You'll make great money for a few months and not do so well the rest of the year.

The St. Pete area is composed of lots of small cities, click on regional map
Tampa Bay Vacation Information - Tampa Bay & Company

Sarasota has the barrier islands The Official Website for Sarasota and Her Islands + Your Beach Destination

There are many private golf & a few yacht clubs always needing banquet help. That might be another opportunity for you.

I think those are your best bets on the west coast. If you need any more info, pm me. Good Luck!!!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Quote:
Hello,
I am an 18 (soon to be 19) year old female college student, but I am looking to move to one of these three places next year and hope to become a bartender. Does anyone have an opinion for me? All I want is to be able to see a sunset during my days off, and hopefully a good assortment of resorts to apply to, or nightclubs. Other than that, do you have any advice or descriptions of these places? All opinions are greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!
I recently visited all 3 on an RV trip I took. Of the 3, I found Naples the nicest looking..upscale, people reasonably nice, etc.. I found the other 2 way too busy for my liking...tons of traffic , stress filled people, and not as safe looking. Im sure CityDatas crime rates for these 2 would confirm that. Naples appeared to be a big area for retirees which may not have the kind of appeal for a todays teenager .

Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg ii View Post
and be very careful, please. I'm already worried for you.
Dont move to miami!!!!

It will be too much of a contrast.

I think Fort lauderdale or something like clearwater would be better.

Your not really going to move to a place just because of a sunset right?

Daytona sucks. Horrible place. Don't move there.

Naples seems like it would be too old and boring for you but ive never been there and dont know too much about it.

I think judging where your coming from that Lauderdale or Tampa outskirts (clearwater) will be best.

In Lauderdale your more likely to find work being inexperienced.

Miami will eat you alive, highjack your car, or worse. From what I hear there are a ton of skuzzy horrible sleezy people in that city (the guy responding in this thread from there is a tame example of the kind of people you will run into) and it's massively expensive for entertainment or anything. Rent can be reasonable for the perks you get but you will still spend a fortune. It's nice to visit.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Dont move to miami!!!!

Miami will eat you alive, highjack your car, or worse. From what I hear there are a ton of skuzzy horrible sleezy people in that city (the guy responding in this thread from there is a tame example of the kind of people you will run into) and it's massively expensive for entertainment or anything. Rent can be reasonable for the perks you get but you will still spend a fortune. It's nice to visit.
Really? Maybe we need to open a poll in the Miami Forum asking how many times you had your car highjacked...

Please please move to Orlando, you belong there along with Comsense and all those happy people who never twist the facts about South Florida. However I'm afraid it's all up to your parents to decide what Middle School you should attend.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:52 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Miami is a nice place, but you have to come down with some real plans. Coming to Miami with the mindset of "ohh I think i'll bartend because i like sunsets" is just a disaster waiting to happen. Miami is a real city with real problems and you can't be naive here. You're a 19 year old girl, please tell me you've lived out of your parents house before. Please tell me you know what you are doing when you have to sign a lease, there are people just waiting to screw people like you over. Be prepared for the real world down here because it isn't easy.

Also, if you want to get into bartending in miami... you're going to have some serious trouble due to the fact that 1. you are under age, 2. you need SERIOUS experience and a real crowd following.

I'm not trying to be rude here but you should open your eyes a bit and realize what you are getting yourself into. I'm a 22 year old guy and probably one of the people who loves Miami the most on this forum, but i'm here telling you .. you are just asking to get screwed if you come down here with a naive attitude without any real experience in these kind of places.

Finish your education, and come down here with a degree... or transfer here and get a degree. The job market is rough here, do you speak spanish?

Old 04-02-2010, 02:05 AM

433 posts, read 1,011,883 times
Quote:
Miami is a nice place, but you have to come down with some real plans. Coming to Miami with the mindset of "ohh I think i'll bartend because i like sunsets" is just a disaster waiting to happen. Miami is a real city with real problems and you can't be naive here. You're a 19 year old girl,
Exactly. That was my point. I dont think Miami should be your first move. It could be too much and very dangerous for you.

Be careful if you do it. You lack the street smarts. Hell I might even lack the street smarts.

@Princess

Booooooo

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 04-02-2010 at 02:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida