Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 15,902 times

Advertisements

Need some ideas on where to look to live in Florida. Leaving Ohio after living here most of our lives. We're especially looking forward to escaping winter in 2010-2011.

My wife and I are in our mid-30's. No kids, never going to have kids, so schools don't matter to us. I don't have to worry about looking for a job (my company will pay me wherever I live). We're not scared off by a higher cost of living. We enjoy the arts, nature, live music, festivals and culture. Nightlife would be nice. My only need is access to a major airport, say within 30-40 minutes.

We love hot, humid weather. The idea of growing bamboo in pots outside all year appeals to us! Bugs, mosquitoes, hurricanes and alligators do not bother us. Florida fits our ticket.

We will more than likely rent to start until house prices finally bottom.

The problem is that Florida is huge. I've been to most parts for business and some vacation but never stayed long enough to really get to know it.

If you were in our situation with our interests and moving to Florida for the first time, where would you start, knowing what you know?

Thanks in advance for your input!

JC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 02:33 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,788,182 times
Your criteria fits nice for Florida ! I live in the Panhandle of Florida and am currently on an RV trip going around the entire coasts of Florida ; im nearly done with my trip and i can say I would not want to live anywhere else but in the Panhandle near Destin and the beaches . I found Tallahassee , Tampa, St. Petersburg, Ft. Meyer, Miami , Ft. Lauderdale way too busy for my liking and the people not as friendly as in the Panhandle. I also didnt feel as safe as in the Panhandle . Other peoples experience may be different to mine. If you want my honest opinion, Id search out Destin/Santa Rosa Beach area for upscale , or, Crestview/Pace/Milton for lower and more affordable scale -- beaches and tons of water sports all within 40 minutes from any of these towns .

Old 03-14-2010, 03:36 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,343,091 times
Couple things that might be important.

You state you like it hot and humid then you need to be looking below the imaginary heat line. Which is Tampa over to Cocoa area.

Then what do you like to do?
Like the beach?
Smaller towns?
What towns have you visited and liked or disliked?

You will be surprised that many Florida cities have a lower cost of living then we do here in Ohio.

With the information you posted I would say start with the Sarasota area. I am reading into your post a bit but if money is not an issue and school either, Sarasota has tons to offer people in their 30's.

Close to the most beautiful beaches in Florida, access to airports, has some of the heat and humidity you like etc.

What town are you currently living in Ohio? Do you want a smaller town or a larger town?

Tons of input will be posted if you post more specifics.

Once people get a feel for what you like to do they will be helping you with some great advice.

The more specific the better.

Renting is a must I believe as you do not know Florida well enough to buy anything yet. That way you are not stuck in a town that you might not like.

We are in central Ohio ourselves and looking a little north of Tampa mainly because of the access to the awesome beaches, antiques, Disney, Busch and like the Tampa area better then most other Florida cities.

Read my thread on success stories, some of those people have posted some amazing information on their choices of towns they moved to in Florida from other places around the country.

If we had no kids and were in our 30's it would be Sarasota for us. Although we like the Ft Lauderdale area very much we want to be centrally located for the things we like.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:06 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,388,068 times
Tampa!

Old 03-14-2010, 04:32 PM

We currently live in the Granville, OH area.

I would definitely like to hear more about Sarasota in particular, especially areas to rent/live. And those to stay away from! We had been to Sarasota several times and liked it, but that was 10 years ago and I'm sure that things have changed.

JC

Old 03-14-2010, 04:48 PM

20,700 posts, read 12,580,659 times
I would look on the east coast.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:17 PM

Why the east coast?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:26 PM

17,583 posts, read 39,285,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCOhio View Post
Why the east coast?
Sarasota is great - best place on the West coast to live. I think it would suit you nicely.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:52 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,343,091 times
Knowing Granville, Ohio like I do I would say you would be happy in a smaller town outside of a bigger town. I cannot think of any town like Granville right now but from what you have posted I would still look "around" the Sarasota area.

Post your desires, beach, small town fell, hobbies, etc the reason you want to move to Florida. The more specific the more people can help you.

Someone mentioned the east coast, there are only a handful of towns on the east coast I like personally myself and know knowing you are from a small college town that is small and beautiful I do not know of any town similar on the east coast of Florida.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:41 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,344,166 times
All of Florida offers good access to nature. Most major areas have good enough access to arts, festivals, music and the like. But really for all that no other Florida area rivals south Florida because of the proximity of three major cities, Miami, Fort Lauderdale & West Palm Beach. Fort Lauderdale puts you in the center of all that, plus easy access to three international airports, two major ports, the Florida Keys and the Everglades.

If you like heat and tropical plants then you should locate in zone 10a minimally, 10b preferably. Though many species of bamboo, which we actually grow in the ground here, can grow throughout the state.

In fact my project today was to dig up some of my bamboo to transfer it from south Florida to my new Tampa home. If you hurry you can help me dig up this puppy...

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/IMG_0002_1.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida