Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:43 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times

Advertisements

Having lived in the Panhandle area for over 30 years, I agree with beachplum. You will be fine in the coastal area but I honestly wouldn't recommend the rural inland areas.

Quote:
Of course its more likely to occur in heavily populated areas simply because of the sheer numbers.
In my opinion, it's much more likely to occur in areas with lower populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 09:32 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Any county that has a state prison I would stay away from ...
Interesting. What is your reasoning behind the presence of state prisons and racial intolerance? I never would have thought of that.

I had a friend (white female) who dated a black guy. She said most of the discrimination and dirty looks she got were from black females. I thought that was interesting since the stereotype is that white males are the intollerant ones. I would be interested in hearing from the OP if that has been her experience as well.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:23 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Interesting. What is your reasoning behind the presence of state prisons and racial intolerance? I never would have thought of that.

I had a friend (white female) who dated a black guy. She said most of the discrimination and dirty looks she got were from black females. I thought that was interesting since the stereotype is that white males are the intollerant ones. I would be interested in hearing from the OP if that has been her experience as well.
Yes, I am interested in why 1CoolCustomer came to that conclusion ; besides, if its a STATE prison...then theres people from all over the state ending up there and not just from the locale that the prison is situated in....so why should it make any difference ?

Old 04-03-2010, 03:09 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
No matter where you live in the USA, youre going to find racism being an interracial couple . Of course its more likely to occur in heavily populated areas simply because of the sheer numbers . Your best chances for no racism will be in an area where God and his moral mandates are respected and observed and where all people are seen as having great intrinsic worth and dignity -- in Florida, that distinction goes to the Panhandle area.
You are kidding right, it is the most racist part of the state. There are towns in the panhandle that are almost 100% black and some 100% white. Southern white christians may the the most bigoted people I have ever seen. It is a common saying that Sunday is the most segregated day of the week. Blacks go to their church and whites go to theirs.
Read below:

Dr. Sherman N. Miller
12/1/2007
As the 2008 Presidential primary season starts to move into the hands of the voters, it is time to look at some antics that racist goons are exploiting to influence the outcome of the elections. I was chatting with two white college professors at a Pennsylvania institution, one male and one female, when the male stunned us by sharing a story of blatant racism perpetrated against a white supporter of Senator Barack Obama’s presidential candidacy in the Florida panhandle.
The male professor said his sister was driving her car when she suddenly found herself being forced off the highway by a white good ol’ boy in a pickup truck. His sister wanted to know why this good ol’ boy ran her off the road, so she challenged him to come up with an explanation for making her flirt with death. The good ol’ boy replied she was displaying an Obama sticker on her car.
Then the good ol’ boy attempted to rattle this lady’s nerves by making her understand that this was not an isolated incident. He told her that she could expect more harassment once he shared with his good ol’ boy buddies that she had this Obama sticker on her car.
The professor says that some people think that the Florida panhandle is like southern Alabama in its racial tolerance, so racial prejudice is still very alive in the 21th Century. What was very disquieting in this chat was to think that this professor’s sister could lose her life over some racists violating her civil right to support whatever presidential candidate she desires.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:03 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Yes, I am interested in why 1CoolCustomer came to that conclusion ; besides, if its a STATE prison...then theres people from all over the state ending up there and not just from the locale that the prison is situated in....so why should it make any difference ?
The original post about state prisons makes no sense. There is at least one state prison/correctional facility in every single county in Florida!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:20 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
I would have to echo most of the posts, I would cross of the panhandle and inland section with the exception Orlando. I would say that the bigger cities will always have less issue with diversity. Look at Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Beach metro areas.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:56 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
The original post about state prisons makes no sense. There is at least one state prison/correctional facility in every single county in Florida!
Ok, then perhaps I should have phrased it a little different. Sparsley populated counties that have large major correctional institutions, not just work release centers and work camps. There's a reason they put the worst of the worst out in the sticks, so the inmates know if they escape they can look forward to many miles of mosquitos, poisonous snakes, and alligator infested swamp. It ain't Aunt Margaret's Florida with golf carts and plastic pink flamingos, it's redneckville, the good ole boy system........who do you thinks watches the inmates?

I'm just giving the OP some sound advice as I've lived here 43 years and know they'd be better off in a larger metro than some town of 2,000 and a third of them work at the big house.

BTW, there are no major state prisons in Nassau,Clay, St John's, Flagler,Citrus, Pinellas and several more counties.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Racism is enshrined in US federal law and politics: just look at the Census questions. You can't escape. I'm sorry.

Having said that, I think the OPs would have no problem in most of SE Florida. It is the most expensive region of the state, but there are reasons for it. There are specific sub-forums for the region's three counties, do sub-forum searches on the subject, you may come up with useful threads.

Off topic, but I am not surprised by the comment that the meanest looks came from other women: women in general have taught me many an insight into jealousy and viciousness, indeed mostly amongst each other, in such ways that I never thought on my own until observing and finally asking them.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:12 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Ok, then perhaps I should have phrased it a little different. Sparsley populated counties that have large major correctional institutions, not just work release centers and work camps. There's a reason they put the worst of the worst out in the sticks, so the inmates know if they escape they can look forward to many miles of mosquitos, poisonous snakes, and alligator infested swamp. It ain't Aunt Margaret's Florida with golf carts and plastic pink flamingos, it's redneckville, the good ole boy system........who do you thinks watches the inmates?

I'm just giving the OP some sound advice as I've lived here 43 years and know they'd be better off in a larger metro than some town of 2,000 and a third of them work at the big house.

BTW, there are no major state prisons in Nassau,Clay, St John's, Flagler,Citrus, Pinellas and several more counties.
I doubt it has anything to do with escaping. Most prisons are in fairly nice area although not very populated areas. I don't think any are in the middle of swamps in Florida Prison towns have pretty good economies and yes most there may have jobs related to the prison but that is not a bad thing, anymore then an economy based on a tourists. It is a lot safer working around a prison then a 7-11 and the pay is a lot better. I would have no problem living in a town with a prison. By the way, the counties you point out border next to major prisons. You can't really get away from being around a prison very easily.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 AM

737 posts, read 1,648,479 times
I think interracial couples are safe just about any place now adays. Even in the deep South of Florida they have interracial marriages. I remember when I was a teenager seeing interracial couples in Mississippi even.

I would think Interracial couples would be more accepted in Florida vs lets say Mississippi ect.

Florida wasn't really a huge Slave owning state most black in Florida migrated after the got there freedom and the free land give away.

Florida had slaves for a short time yes they did for longer but for a short time with the same rules as let say Mississippi but then the rules changed in Florida was a slave state with the same rules for maybe 5 or less years then the rules changed Florida slavery was all you had to do was get baptized and you were set free. Florida also had other rules no whipping of slaves or saleing of infants/children plus they were only allowed to work x amount of time.. Florida has very stricked rules. Florida would of let all slaves go but most had no place to go. So they left the decision up to the slaves all you had to do was be baptized and you were set free in Florida. Most blacks were brought to Florida as Fighters not as slaves by the Spaniards. The Spaniards then imported females so they would have wife's.

There is more to the story but I don't have the room or time to give a total history lesson here.

The largest slaves as in slavery would of been found more in North Florida vs South Florida which would of been closer to Mississippi and Georgia. Slaves use to run away and try to make there way to Florida.

The very first slaves to enter Florida came here not as slaves but as indentured servants. The ship landed with them with the ship in need of major repairs and they traded slaves for there repairs and the slaves were not slaves they were indentured servants in St. Augustine. The servants even build there very own town in St. Augustine which was most destroyed by a storm and everyone including the whites helped to repair the town.

Yes there is still alot more to the story but leaving it at this.

Last edited by Starlady01; 04-05-2010 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida