Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

What's the perspective for those who know or have been to both the Florida Panhandle region...versus the Carolinas coastline (Wilmington, Charleston, etc.)??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 03:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Not to diss the Carolinas, but I much prefer the Panhandle.
You just can't beat that dazzling white sand.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:51 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
I agree with BlueWillowPlate, we lived at Pawley's Island for a little over a year and own a second home in PCB, South Carolina living was great but compared to the Panhandle, both my wife and I would take it any day. The water is somewhat murky and the beach is just not comparable to the gulf.
As far as the people and what each area has to offer, I think it is pretty much a wash. They are certainly somewhat different but I like both places.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
As far as the people and what each area has to offer, I think it is pretty much a wash. They are certainly somewhat different but I like both places.
Are the people similar? That was the other question I was thinking to ask.

It's no secret...but all of the references to the 'redneck Riveria', and on and on and on...certainly gives you images of a certain kind. HOWEVER, on the other hand, particularly when you read from Mississippi, they speak of Biloxi and Gulf Coast of being a different breed of people altogether.

On the Carolina's side...I haven't any references to the people at all.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:30 AM

478 posts, read 1,325,787 times
Both pretty friendly people overall. I havent been to both places very often though. But I would say the folks in the Carolina's to be a tad friendlier. I lived in NC, and I'll be honest and tell you (as a FL native/cracker), it doesnt get much friendlier than the Carolina's. Florida varies depending on where you are, generally the further north you go, the friendlier. I would choose Charleston over any place in the panhandle. It also cools off a lot more in Charleston, although both miserable hot in the summer. The water is better in FL though, as it's clearer.

But all in all, as far as friendly folks, I'd say pretty comparable. Charleston has more history imo too.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Save for parts of Panama City Beach, the redneck riviera description these days is more tongue in cheek than anything else.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Yes, I mean, there are a lot of rednecks in Northern FL, the panhandle especially. They dont bother me at all. I'm a FL cracker anyway!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:57 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's the perspective for those who know or have been to both the Florida Panhandle region...versus the Carolinas coastline (Wilmington, Charleston, etc.)??

I love Charleston, Beaufort, etc. that whole area. I spent a lot of time there as a child.

But as others have said, the beaches in the Panhandle are just better.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM

Both places have good, friendly folks indeed, I'd give beaches advantage to panhandle, and the people advantage to NC.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:23 PM

187 posts, read 950,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Are the people similar? That was the other question I was thinking to ask.

It's no secret...but all of the references to the 'redneck Riveria', and on and on and on...certainly gives you images of a certain kind. HOWEVER, on the other hand, particularly when you read from Mississippi, they speak of Biloxi and Gulf Coast of being a different breed of people altogether.

On the Carolina's side...I haven't any references to the people at all.
They remember the Civil War down here in the Panhandle. I'm a Yankee who forgot the relevance of the war and didn't know there was even an issue today, I learned.

South Walton County, Florida will be very well known, anytime now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida