Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:36 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Republican Party of Florida requires members of all political party committees organized under the RPOF to abide by a Party Loyalty Oath.
Any member who fails to formally revoke his or her public support and request the return of any contributions made to a candidate running against the candidate of the Republican Party would be in violation of the RPOF Rules and would be subject to removal from party office and membership on Republican executive committees.
Read more: Florida Senate: 2010 Election BREAKING News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
So what? It's not a life sentence. It's a political party. If he decides to run as an independent,or a Democrat, or a Moonbeam, he isn't bound by the Republican oath or party of symbol or anything.

I think we all take this political party business a little too seriously. It's a political affiliation. Nothing more.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:10 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,761 times
Politics just continue to get more and more ridiculous.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
For any with an interest in Florida politics, the St. Petersburg Times has the best coverage of that I've found. Probably leans a little leftward, but you've got to admit that the party currently in power has given plenty of ammunition the past couple years.

The Buzz: Florida Politics

The thing that the Republicans have to be careful of is that Crist could actually win this thing running as an independent, and if he does, he's enough of both an opportunist and a touchy-feely emo boy that I think he would be open to caucusing with the Dems if the Republicans are too meaan to him during the election season.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:43 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
You know what I could care less what party he decides to be a part of, I care about the issues he represents me on. I wish that the people that represent me, would vote more on the issues than what party they are in.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:57 AM

If you read the link, you'll see that it's the Republican party members of the Florida House & Senate that are required to take the oath. If any choose to support Crist, they're effectively shunned and ex-communicated by the Republican Party here. They were also doing this in secret. It came to light from a leaked memo to the Palm Beach Post. I thought that was interesting and unprecedented.

Otherwise, I agree. I think he should run under any party he wants. I hope he does run as an Independent. I know I'll vote for him after vetoing the Bill that was against the teachers. The reason they're afraid of him is that they know Crist will win if he does this. Rubio is ahead of him in the polls for the Republican Party primary. Rubio is a very vocal supporter of the Tea Party Movement and would support the radical leanings of the Republican majority in the congress.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:12 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
If you read the link, you'll see that it's the Republican party members of the Florida House & Senate that are required to take the oath.
Where did it say that? It said that people who are part of the executive committees of the party can't openly support non-party members in elections. Why is that such a controversial move considering they're essentially representatives of the party? I know there were a fair amount of Republicans who didn't think Crist was "conservative enough" when he was running for governor, but any executive committee member who thought that way had to fall in behind him lest they lose their position.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:34 PM

310 posts, read 868,891 times
All Democrat and Republican Florida politicians crawl out of the same swamp so it really makes little difference.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Where did it say that? It said that people who are part of the executive committees of the party can't openly support non-party members in elections. Why is that such a controversial move considering they're essentially representatives of the party? I know there were a fair amount of Republicans who didn't think Crist was "conservative enough" when he was running for governor, but any executive committee member who thought that way had to fall in behind him lest they lose their position.

Actually, it extends pretty far and wide into each county:

Quote:
At the heart of the Party Loyalty Oath is the requirement that members of the Republican Party of Florida's Executive Committees - from precinct committeemen and committeewomen in each county all the way up to the national committeeman and committeewoman - cannot provide their active, public, or financial support to any candidate other than "the Republican candidate" in a general election.
Should Republican committee members all across the state be put in the position of sacrificing their careers should they choose to remain loyal to a still registered Republican, who even their own district still supported? Not even be free to send a check? If they do step down, they'll be replaced by members who are even FURTHER right than the majority of their counties, even should Crist win, as would be expected. If they remain, and support Rubio who doesnt represent the majority interest, they also risk losing their seats and run the risk of being labeled hypocrites.

Perhaps think of it this way. Leiberman was loyal to the Democratic Party - enough so that he was even chosen as Gore's running mate. Although still a Democrat, he supported McCain in the last election. Should he have been required to step down from his position as a Democratic senator in order to do this? I don't think so. It's one of the things that makes us a FREE country.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:17 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Wow! So much for doing the good of the people regardless of your party! Can't say I'm surprised, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida