Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:15 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times

Advertisements

Florida would be a much better place if they had Arizona's immigration act.

Arizona passes strict illegal immigration act - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:34 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Sure, how about, "all those that look to be from England, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland and any other European country" must show proof of citizenship when stopped by an officer. Goodness knows there a lot of illegals from Europe in this country. How about that?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Sure, how about, "all those that look to be from England, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland and any other European country" must show proof of citizenship when stopped by an officer. Goodness knows there a lot of illegals from Europe in this country. How about that?
I'm all for it, if you have nothing to hide then why get upset about it? I don't get upset that a cashier asks for my license when I buy alcohol, I don't get upset when a cop asks for my license, either. Only those who are doing wrong will have a negative opinion about it. At least Arizona has the guts to do what the Federal government has been talking about for decades. Well, now it's time to ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING!!!

Moderator cut: Flaming

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-29-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
I don't like the "show your papers at any time" aspect of the law. (being stopped because you "look illegal")

What we need to do is enforce the current laws and crack down on employers. In my town here in GA, we have large chicken processing plants. Everyone knows they hire 100% illegal labor, yet nothing is done. In fact, the companies just paid a fine of something like $300k for hiring illegals, but now business continues as usual. These same plants also get away with numerous safety violations because illegals aren't going to complain. (OSHA cited the chicken plants for "repeated and willful" safety violations. Companies paid $200k fine and again, back to business.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:48 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
I'm all for it, if you have nothing to hide then why get upset about it? I don't get upset that a cashier asks for my license when I buy alcohol, I don't get upset when a cop asks for my license, either. Only those who are doing wrong will have a negative opinion about it. At least Arizona has the guts to do what the Federal government has been talking about for decades. Well, now it's time to ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING!!!

Like I've been told about leaving Florida, "If you don"t like it, LEAVE!" So get out of America if you don't like it!
Oh boy, not this again.

So I suppose you would be ok with the federal gov't monitoring your phone calls, checking your e-mails, opening your mail, etc because you have nothing to hide? Maybe we should just have random searches on the street for weapons, guns, drugs?

You need to think about the quote from Ben Franklin "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Old 04-29-2010, 02:01 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Florida would be a much better place if they had Arizona's immigration act.

Arizona passes strict illegal immigration act - latimes.com
The problem with the law is, it is redundant. There are more then enough laws already in place that don't get enforced to solve the problem.
What is the point of a new law? You don't need to list every way you can kill someone to have it against the law. I can't get away with killing someone with a fountain pen and then claim,

"Show me where it says it is against the law to kill with a fountain pen".

It is not required to have a law for every possible circumstance. All they have to do is enforce the current laws. This whole thing is little more then political meaningless theater. I am not sure who their audience is supposed to be though. I guess the very stupid.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Oh boy, not this again.

So I suppose you would be ok with the federal gov't monitoring your phone calls, checking your e-mails, opening your mail, etc because you have nothing to hide? Maybe we should just have random searches on the street for weapons, guns, drugs?

You need to think about the quote from Ben Franklin "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Whether you want to believe it or not, THEY ALREADY DO! Also, ever heard of a traffic checkpoint where they stop each and every car to check for ID's, insurance, drunk drivers, etc.

Your so called "racism" argument, whatever that means nowadays since every body claims something is "racist" or "offensive", is null since true racism will ALWAYS exist. Good for Arizona, I think I may have found my next state since they have balls.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:32 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Oh boy, not this again.

Exactly. It really gets me that people are up at arms about health care, yet are so willing to let the government spy on them, stop them and then cart them away indefinitely if deemed a terrorist.

Moderator cut: Flaming

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-29-2010 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 02:32 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Whether you want to believe it or not, THEY ALREADY DO! Also, ever heard of a traffic checkpoint where they stop each and every car to check for ID's, insurance, drunk drivers, etc.

Your so called "racism" argument, whatever that means nowadays since every body claims something is "racist" or "offensive", is null since true racism will ALWAYS exist. Good for Arizona, I think I may have found my next state since they have balls.
I don't get your enthusiasm with a state that doesn't enforce their laws. Why would this new wrinkle in an old law make any difference? They don't do anything now? This is one more redundant law they won't bother to enforce. You are being fooled I am afraid

Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
I don't like the "show your papers at any time" aspect of the law. (being stopped because you "look illegal")

What we need to do is enforce the current laws and crack down on employers. In my town here in GA, we have large chicken processing plants. Everyone knows they hire 100% illegal labor, yet nothing is done. In fact, the companies just paid a fine of something like $300k for hiring illegals, but now business continues as usual. These same plants also get away with numerous safety violations because illegals aren't going to complain. (OSHA cited the chicken plants for "repeated and willful" safety violations. Companies paid $200k fine and again, back to business.
You need to read the law that Arizona just passed.

NO ONE will be stopped just because they look illegal.

I agree also that if you have nothing to hide then there should be no problem.

We need to fix the illegal trespassing issue some how.

I see many other states following Arizona as 70% of all Americans want the illegals out of our country.

I do not care what country they are from if they are here illegally they are trespassing and are criminals for doing so.

Please stop repeating the lie Obama told yesterday as it is all hogwash.

The Arizona law enforces the law that the feds wont.

Thank you Arizona and I hope Florida follows suit as well as a ton of other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida