Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:47 PM

120 posts, read 170,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
i know the community quite well actually, ive lived in the area since i was 16 and know firsthand the lack of activities for youth compared to other parts of the country. it seems like your taking what im saying personal.

how many times can you take kids to the same two attractions before it gets old?

maybe my bar is set high since i grew up for the most part in the nyc area where theres everything, but most people would agree with the fact southwest florida is really lacking in activities for kids.

how often do you see neighborhood kids playing with eachother in this area?

they cant even walk down the block to a store or a friends house since 80% of residential streets dont even have sidewalks yet.
I've lived here since I was a kid as well. I see kids playing with each other quite often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 02:46 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadieAnn View Post
I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks now and realized it could be a very valuable resource for us in making this move.

Here's a little background. My husband and I and our eight daughters (all mine, all his) live in a small town in Southern Colorado. Our oldest will turn twelve in August. I teach part time at the local community college, and he is an independent contractor (tile). We're both military brats, and we're tired of living here. I lived in Pensacola from 9th grade through my second year of college, and I've always wanted to go back to Florida. My husband decided he's ready for a move, too, so I'm applying to teach middle or high school in different counties. I've had a few phone interviews so far, and have plans to interview with those principals in person next week when I go out to the "Great Florida Teach-In." We don't know yet which county we're going to move to--we'll know when I accept a job offer.

I've got a lot of questions regarding the best places to live--good schools, low crime rate, lots of culture, young families, etc. Also, for the first few years, we'll be renting instead of buying. Here, we paid $1400 a month for a four bedroom home.

The counties I'm looking out most seriously are Clay, Collier, Polk, St. Johns, and Volusia. The job I'm most interested in, which I will be interviewing for next week, is in Collier (Naples).

The counties that pay the most, like Collier, also have higher costs of living. What I can't quite figure out (I teach English, not math!!) is whether the difference in salary will offset the cost of living. Also, are the "richer" counties, like Collier, snootier? I mean, we get a lot of funny looks and comments here, in our very un-snooty little town, because of the eight kids. I personally don't mind, but I don't want the girls to feel snubbed by their peers.

I know I have a lot of issues here, but any insights you could give me, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

~Kadie Ann
Hi! I'm a teacher in Collier-in Naples. Yes, it is very hard to afford anything right here. We are only renting for the moment. If we do stay and own, it won't be in Collier-probably in San Carlos Park (bottom part of Fort myers) because it is within driving distance still to my school, and my school is one of the furthest ones.

Rent: well, everything is sitting-rental homes/condos and or homes. You will be able to find a 3-bedroom home/condo for that price- I have checked the newspapers just out of curiousity from time to time. I am renting a 2 story condo, 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bathroom for $1395, and I know there are a few in our community that are up for rent, cheaper than that. I am not sure about anything for 4 bedrooms at the price you were already paying. Not many homes are 4 bedrooms, and if they are...it might even be double that price to rent!

Yes, it is snobby. The children at my son's middle school have more expensive purses and cell phones then I do! These are 11, 12 and 13 year old children. I have one of the crappiest cars there-and it is a 2002 Hyndai-so not that old. But everyone else has SUVs, jaquars, and some kids even get picked up in a limo!

But, the schools are great. Not too much crime here. Construction and traffic in season is awful. But if it's like that all around FL...then you will meet that no matter what county you live in.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:18 AM

10 posts, read 43,977 times
JUst keep in mind that Fl ranks 49th in Education for a reason, and the salaries are lower than what you are making in Colorado.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:44 PM
nhs

3 posts, read 9,659 times
sw florida englewood, fl. is great!! small town atmosphere your love it
family friendly at all families.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:12 PM

9 posts, read 36,920 times
I teach in Lake County. The pay is not bad and the schools are good. It is definitely a place where a large family can live without any stares. Crime is low in Lake County. It is far enough from Orlando, but close enough to go to Disney. We moved here from Naples (Collier County) to get away from the snotty attitudes and towering nises.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-24-2007 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 08-03-2008, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,823 times
Might I suggest Northwest Florida (also known as LA - lower Alabama). Santa Rosa & Okaloosa have wonderful schools, beautiful beaches & very family friendly.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Eight kids..that's neat.
I have friends in Ft. Myers who have 11 kids...all one at a time by each other, and it is amazing.
They live in a SMALL ranch. Those kids are the most well behaved, disciplined, loving, thankful kids I've ever seen. They are home schooled and very smart, well adjusted.....just plain good kids.

Good luck in your quest.

Frank D.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Default Have you considered??

Kadie,

I am curious as to what your rationale is for moving to Florida, beyond your restlessness. It cannot be for the schools... Florida schools overall are struggling big time with budget cuts and limited funding sources. It cannot be for job opportunities... Florida is a right to work state that pays significantly less than where you are leaving (with fewer opportunities to attain benefits and lacking job security). It cannot be for the lower insurance or taxes...

You did not mention your husband's employment opportunities; there will be few decent opportunities in the current Florida economic climate for a tile worker. The bottom line is that your family of ten is moving to Florida, hoping to find a comparable home (4 bedrooms @ $1400/month); in a great school district, but subsiding on a first year's teachers salary. Before you move, you may want to research the social and human services aspect of the state of Florida... another severely underfunded aspect of this state's economy. Your family will be in dire need of services quickly (food stamps, section 8, subsidized health care, free/reduced lunch & breakfast for your kids at school) to live in most areas of Florida. Why are you moving again?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:02 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
KadieAnn,
It has been over a year since your last post.
I'm curious if you ever moved, and how things have gone for the past year.
I hope things have gone well for you and your family.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 AM

8 posts, read 16,606 times
Check cape coral out. You can get a heck of a deal on a home right now, nice community etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida