Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 PM

43 posts, read 151,713 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Brief history...

25 y/o single male
Job = Physical Therapist
Hobbies: Being outdoors, Sports, Cars
Love to Golf
Love the night life
Will be looking to rent at first
Fresh out of college so not much in the bank for a rainy day

Looking to move to either Tampa/Bradenton/Sarasota/Orlando, FL or Austin, TX. Employed as a physical therapist and the job market is pretty good so should not have a problem finding a job wherever I choose. Problem is, can't decide where to call home? Economy is better in TX. Golf is better in FL. Closer to the beaches in FL. No sure about nightlife? Austin is home to the University of Texas = plenty of young people around my age. FL surely has a nice mix of night life. Just interested in what you guys would recommend? I know it's limited info so please ask questions if you think it would help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Why not Dallas or Houston? As a whole, Texas all the way!! If you're only limiting yourself to Austin though, I would choose Tampa. If heat and humidity isn't your thing, Austin, easily.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 PM

310 posts, read 868,961 times
Austin, TX--in a heartbeat!
That place has pretty much been recession proof, the live bands are amazing and it's one of the most up-and-coming cities (if not already there).

GO for a visit and see for yourself!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by determined0331 View Post
Hello all,

Brief history...

25 y/o single male
Job = Physical Therapist
Hobbies: Being outdoors, Sports, Cars
Love to Golf
Love the night life
Will be looking to rent at first
Fresh out of college so not much in the bank for a rainy day

Looking to move to either Tampa/Bradenton/Sarasota/Orlando, FL or Austin, TX. Employed as a physical therapist and the job market is pretty good so should not have a problem finding a job wherever I choose. Problem is, can't decide where to call home? Economy is better in TX. Golf is better in FL. Closer to the beaches in FL. No sure about nightlife? Austin is home to the University of Texas = plenty of young people around my age. FL surely has a nice mix of night life. Just interested in what you guys would recommend? I know it's limited info so please ask questions if you think it would help. Thanks.
Have you visited both? These are both nice places to live with a good quality of life. Each will have their own pluses and minuses. I don't believe jobs will be an issue for you here, there are usually good opportunities in that field. Tampa or Orlando will have the most nightlife, St. Pete and Sarasota have exquisite beaches. We have lots of beautiful golf courses all over the area. Tampa is a sports-oriented town.

Haven't been to Austin, but everything I have read about it makes me think it would be the best city in Texas to live. Make a checklist of what you want most in a place and go from there. And definitely visit!

Good luck!

Last edited by gypsychic; 05-11-2010 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-11-2010, 01:07 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I lived in Austin for about 3 years. Its a great town nothing really bad about it. Traffic is bad, but I hear traffic is bad in most places in Florida as well. Austin is at least trying to address the problem and is already putting in mass transit systems.

You are right, the economy in Austin and Texas as a whole has pretty much been bulletproof, except I hear Dell has had a few layoffs.... which doesn't really effect your industry.

Austin has UT and many other colleges and other UT Campuses around it. This of course makes the job market competitive. Florida also has many campuses so I would imagine it too is competitive. I would think there are more Physical Therapy jobs in Florida due to the older population.

I actually have a choice of going to Austin or Florida. My future would be more secure if I went to Austin... but I have picked Florida. I have always wanted to live somewhere sub-tropical with beaches. There seems to be much more to do with the kids in Florida than there was in Texas. Cruises are easy to jump on from Florida and sometime you get a resident discount. And of course there are the beaches and the carribbean is at my door step.

Also the VPK program for my kids and the free ride to a Florida University for my kids, if they do well in HS, is another factor. Cost of living between Tampa and Austin are about the same. Food is cheaper in Texas though.

Austin
  • 6th Street - Drink/Shot specials... great party area. Get smashed for cheap.
  • Lake Travis - Great boating, playing in lake near town. Levels are finally normal after being so low it was basically shut down from boating.
  • Live Music Capital of The World - This is very true. Almost every restaurant downtown will have a band playing while you are there. Every bar has something going on as well.
  • Being in the junction between Dallas, San Antonio and Houston - Austin is much smaller than these towns but sine entertainment acts have to pass through, they tend to perform as well. This is great for big name bands, theater and comedy. There is a place called Cap City Comedy in Austin that is an awesome comdey club where many big name acts come. ITs great to see these celebrities in this intimate atmosphere.
  • BBQ - Truly unbelievable and delicious.
  • Keep Austin Weird - You may have heard of thi slogan. It no longer applies. Too many transients have moved in.
  • No Professional Sports - This may not be an issue to you. I thought I would just drive up to Dallas to watch pro sports if I really wanted to. Nope, Dallas is the longest most boring 3 hour drive ever.
Tampa - This is all research and speculation, I have no lived here yet.
  • Beaches - 3 hours from many beaches. Although if the oil in the gulf ruins the beaches before I head out in 60 days... I may have to switch my moving plan to Austin.
  • Entertainment - I believe there is much more to do in Florida than there is in Texas.... with my kids.
  • Cruises - I plan on going on a cruise at least once a year since I will be living in Florida. I no longer have to buy airfare for 5, which will make it waaaaay more affordable.
  • VPK and College - Mentioned this earlier
  • Pro Sports - Baseball, Hockey and Football. Works for me!
  • Water - I love living near the water. I was born and raised in Alaska so I have to be near water. I felt landlocked in Austin.
  • Sub-Tropical Climate - Looking forward to the sun, palm trees and sand.
  • Haven't live in Florida before - I have already lived in Austin, you only live once so why not try somewhere else?
  • Cost of living - COL is on par with Austin. In fact, it appears housing may be a bit more in Austin and I expect the housing cost gap to increase. With that said, insurance in Florida is much more.

These are things that helped me make my decision. You really should visit both places before moving. You are picking two places that seem to be VERY different. Well, other than they are both sunny. Good Luck!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:56 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
U remind me of myself...

I had to choose between Houston & Miami...

When I saw the colour of the sea,I made up my mind...

Old 05-11-2010, 04:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Austin

Old 05-12-2010, 04:04 PM

43 posts, read 151,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Why not Dallas or Houston? As a whole, Texas all the way!! If you're only limiting yourself to Austin though, I would choose Tampa. If heat and humidity isn't your thing, Austin, easily.
Chose Austin because I have heard great things. And I love the University of Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
Austin, TX--in a heartbeat!
That place has pretty much been recession proof, the live bands are amazing and it's one of the most up-and-coming cities (if not already there).

GO for a visit and see for yourself!
Strong economy for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Have you visited both? These are both nice places to live with a good quality of life. Each will have their own pluses and minuses. I don't believe jobs will be an issue for you here, there are usually good opportunities in that field. Tampa or Orlando will have the most nightlife, St. Pete and Sarasota have exquisite beaches. We have lots of beautiful golf courses all over the area. Tampa is a sports-oriented town.

Haven't been to Austin, but everything I have read about it makes me think it would be the best city in Texas to live. Make a checklist of what you want most in a place and go from there. And definitely visit!

Good luck!
Thanks. I definitely need to make a checklist to weigh the pros/cons of each. Any ideas on the main categories I should focus on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
I lived in Austin for about 3 years. Its a great town nothing really bad about it. Traffic is bad, but I hear traffic is bad in most places in Florida as well. Austin is at least trying to address the problem and is already putting in mass transit systems.

You are right, the economy in Austin and Texas as a whole has pretty much been bulletproof, except I hear Dell has had a few layoffs.... which doesn't really effect your industry.

Austin has UT and many other colleges and other UT Campuses around it. This of course makes the job market competitive. Florida also has many campuses so I would imagine it too is competitive. I would think there are more Physical Therapy jobs in Florida due to the older population.

I actually have a choice of going to Austin or Florida. My future would be more secure if I went to Austin... but I have picked Florida. I have always wanted to live somewhere sub-tropical with beaches. There seems to be much more to do with the kids in Florida than there was in Texas. Cruises are easy to jump on from Florida and sometime you get a resident discount. And of course there are the beaches and the carribbean is at my door step.

Also the VPK program for my kids and the free ride to a Florida University for my kids, if they do well in HS, is another factor. Cost of living between Tampa and Austin are about the same. Food is cheaper in Texas though.

Austin
  • 6th Street - Drink/Shot specials... great party area. Get smashed for cheap.
  • Lake Travis - Great boating, playing in lake near town. Levels are finally normal after being so low it was basically shut down from boating.
  • Live Music Capital of The World - This is very true. Almost every restaurant downtown will have a band playing while you are there. Every bar has something going on as well.
  • Being in the junction between Dallas, San Antonio and Houston - Austin is much smaller than these towns but sine entertainment acts have to pass through, they tend to perform as well. This is great for big name bands, theater and comedy. There is a place called Cap City Comedy in Austin that is an awesome comdey club where many big name acts come. ITs great to see these celebrities in this intimate atmosphere.
  • BBQ - Truly unbelievable and delicious.
  • Keep Austin Weird - You may have heard of thi slogan. It no longer applies. Too many transients have moved in.
  • No Professional Sports - This may not be an issue to you. I thought I would just drive up to Dallas to watch pro sports if I really wanted to. Nope, Dallas is the longest most boring 3 hour drive ever.
Tampa - This is all research and speculation, I have no lived here yet.
  • Beaches - 3 hours from many beaches. Although if the oil in the gulf ruins the beaches before I head out in 60 days... I may have to switch my moving plan to Austin.
  • Entertainment - I believe there is much more to do in Florida than there is in Texas.... with my kids.
  • Cruises - I plan on going on a cruise at least once a year since I will be living in Florida. I no longer have to buy airfare for 5, which will make it waaaaay more affordable.
  • VPK and College - Mentioned this earlier
  • Pro Sports - Baseball, Hockey and Football. Works for me!
  • Water - I love living near the water. I was born and raised in Alaska so I have to be near water. I felt landlocked in Austin.
  • Sub-Tropical Climate - Looking forward to the sun, palm trees and sand.
  • Haven't live in Florida before - I have already lived in Austin, you only live once so why not try somewhere else?
  • Cost of living - COL is on par with Austin. In fact, it appears housing may be a bit more in Austin and I expect the housing cost gap to increase. With that said, insurance in Florida is much more.

These are things that helped me make my decision. You really should visit both places before moving. You are picking two places that seem to be VERY different. Well, other than they are both sunny. Good Luck!
Wow. Very nice post. Summed up a lot of things. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
U remind me of myself...

I had to choose between Houston & Miami...

When I saw the colour of the sea,I made up my mind...
I love the beach and water but it just seems like Austin may be a little more practical at this stage in my life. Thinking I could try Austin initially and if it's not for me then I can transition elsewhere. Might as well try Austin while I'm younger. If it doesn't work out, FL is not a bad place to try a little later in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Austin
Thanks. Curious as to why you chose Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida