Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 08:30 AM

37 posts, read 68,958 times

Advertisements

I currently live here in Florida and was considering relocating out of state for several reasons. I have considered North and South Carolina, as well as Tennessee; however, when it came right down to it...my heart is still here in Florida. I am just not happy with my currently location, so I am looking into a more "fitting" area here

I have 3 children that attend school and although they are not the greatest schools, my children seem to be doing wonderful. My kids are not into "league sports", that is they enjoy playing with friends outside the house but not into the whole outdoor team play. They are huge into basketball, biking, skate boarding, throwing a baseball back and forth, swimming and running around when it is not too hot. They enjoy karate and ballet (my daughter obviously), fishing, boating, art etc...

My husband is NOT into the beach scene and my kids and I enjoy visiting maybe 5x a year but we all really enjoy the forest, hills, more "natural" type living. We considered Mount Dora, Ocala, De Land, and Crystal River for possible relocation spots but would really appreciate local knowledge and suggestions on where to look.

Our ideal spot would be a bit less humid than Central Florida with trees, culture, family friendly where you could go for walks at night and be friendly with your neighbors. My boys and hubby are avid fisherman on the lakes and love the thought of camping. My daughter and I are obvious females and like to shop

I know this is lengthy but the more info I provide the better idea you have to suggest possible locations for me to check out. So thanks for the help, I would like to stay in Florida because this is home...I just have to find the right neighborhood to settle the roots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 11:48 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
I am going through the same thing myself. I want to get out of Southwest FL so bad.... i will possibly be going to Melbourne in the next 3-4 weeks.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
How old's your daughter? Because if she hasn't hit third grade yet, there's a pretty cool charter school she'd probably love:

NFB Académie (http://www.nfballet.org/New%20NFB%20site/Academie.html - broken link)

Ft. Walton might work for you- lots of gub'mint land, and Eglin AFB has a big parcel here about the size of Delaware that has about half its land open for recreational use.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:14 PM

109 posts, read 440,134 times
You sound alot like myself. I played the game of endless beaches and sand in my shoes. From what you describe you are looking for northern Florida or at least close to Ocala. This area has got trendy but ther are plenty of areas in that vicinity that offer good schools and small town feeling without the "Red Kneck" or lack of culture areas. There are alot of places in that area that are not any differant then Midwest towns, with all the family values, they just talk slower.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:44 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,752,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Angels View Post
I currently live here in Florida and was considering relocating out of state for several reasons. I have considered North and South Carolina, as well as Tennessee; however, when it came right down to it...my heart is still here in Florida. I am just not happy with my currently location, so I am looking into a more "fitting" area here

I have 3 children that attend school and although they are not the greatest schools, my children seem to be doing wonderful. My kids are not into "league sports", that is they enjoy playing with friends outside the house but not into the whole outdoor team play. They are huge into basketball, biking, skate boarding, throwing a baseball back and forth, swimming and running around when it is not too hot. They enjoy karate and ballet (my daughter obviously), fishing, boating, art etc...

My husband is NOT into the beach scene and my kids and I enjoy visiting maybe 5x a year but we all really enjoy the forest, hills, more "natural" type living. We considered Mount Dora, Ocala, De Land, and Crystal River for possible relocation spots but would really appreciate local knowledge and suggestions on where to look.

Our ideal spot would be a bit less humid than Central Florida with trees, culture, family friendly where you could go for walks at night and be friendly with your neighbors. My boys and hubby are avid fisherman on the lakes and love the thought of camping. My daughter and I are obvious females and like to shop

I know this is lengthy but the more info I provide the better idea you have to suggest possible locations for me to check out. So thanks for the help, I would like to stay in Florida because this is home...I just have to find the right neighborhood to settle the roots
Hard to go wrong in the lake county area or the area just south of Ocala. Maybe the prettiest part of Florida.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,477 times
I live in Mount Dora and love it. It is such a cute little town. The nice thing about living here is that it is only about a 30min to 1hr drive to Sanford, Orlando, Altamonte, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida