Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times

Advertisements

We recently got a quote and what we pay has gone up. So we called today to get another quote and it was even higher then the quote on the renewal letter.

They told us auto insurance is going up in Fla due to repealing no fault.

My question is has anyone else been told this? Its not like auto insurance isnt high enough down here already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 04:45 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Repealing no fault? Never heard that.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 PM

You might wanna call your insurance company. Thats what we were told the reason for auto insurance going up in Fla

Old 05-24-2010, 06:21 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Here's the link to the Dept of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. It doesn't say anything about doing away with no fault. Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Do you have a link or something?

Old 05-24-2010, 07:16 PM

Then I am going to call back tomorrow.

No I dont have a link just what the rep at our insurance agency told us over the phone. That the reason our insurance was going up was due to repealing no fault.

Thanks for getting that link for me

Old 05-25-2010, 10:54 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
Do you have State Farm, by chance? We just left them because they were already about $300 higher than what other companies quoted me, and they have just been allowed to increase all premiums by 15%. I'm not sure why. They didn't say anything to me about Florida repealing no-fault.

Regardless of who you have, you might want to shop around for a better rate.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:56 PM

263 posts, read 889,677 times
We have State Farm also, and likely will be switching. They have already warned me that car coverage will be higher if we move, for two reasons: Because of the no fault law already in place, and we won't be getting a multi-line discount because they won't also be covering our home anymore.

They were able to raise their rates because they were trying to dump all of their policies in Florida, so the State compromised by letting them raise rates by 15%, dump some of their policies, and not write new ones. We were told by our agent we will likely be one who doesn't get a new policy.

He said Florida won't let them charge what they need to in order to cover the risk (hurricanes that happened 5 years ago ) so they want to leave Florida completely.

Our agent has been great here. Sucks that the company is so crappy in Florida.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:30 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
We have State Farm also, and likely will be switching. They have already warned me that car coverage will be higher if we move, for two reasons: Because of the no fault law already in place, and we won't be getting a multi-line discount because they won't also be covering our home anymore.

They were able to raise their rates because they were trying to dump all of their policies in Florida, so the State compromised by letting them raise rates by 15%, dump some of their policies, and not write new ones. We were told by our agent we will likely be one who doesn't get a new policy.

He said Florida won't let them charge what they need to in order to cover the risk (hurricanes that happened 5 years ago ) so they want to leave Florida completely.

Our agent has been great here. Sucks that the company is so crappy in Florida.
I was wondering if they were trying to get out of Florida altogether. They sure didn't argue with me when I called and told them we were switching, and if you compare homeowners insurance rates, they are far and away one of the most expensive in Florida, if not the most expensive.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:34 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,629 times
USAA is the only insurance company worth a d**n. I actually don't think auto insurance is as expensive in Miami as what I was expecting it to be.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:14 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Its not like auto insurance isnt high enough down here already
If you think auto insurance is high in Florida, move to New Jersey. We're paying half what we paid there, with higher liability coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida