Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,037,335 times

Advertisements

Forget about the (Will many soon be oil drenched?) beaches and Disney, is there possibly a worse time than the summer of 2010 to be living in or visiting Florida? This is not meant to sound as a slam, but can projections for the Florida lifestyle be any more dire?

I am about to retire with a substantial Northern pension, but my best friend ( 56 years old), who chose to live in Florida 35 years ago, may never afford to retire. He used to brag about the housing appreciation, his year-round swimming, the beaches, his multiple business successes. He told me that his housing appreciation would more than offset my developing pension and his diminished wages. Unfortunately, he is about to lose his job and his retirement nest egg, his Florida home, is now worth less than half of what it was just three short years ago.

As an outsider, who has long envied my colleagues living the Florida good life of 5 short years ago, I have resigned myself to "wait and see" about my Florida future. Unfortunately, Florida has the lingering double digit unemployment (probably worse than what is actually being reported), and appears to be brutally slow in its economic recovery. Throw in the dismal predictions of the ever-expanding oil spill, the 8-11 Atlantic hurricanes predicted for the summer, the devalued housing market, the uncomfortably hot and humid temperatures, and one is tempting fate when planning a Florida stay (or move).

Enough of the gloom and doom. Is there an good news coming out of Florida to offset all of the bad and dismal? Please forget about pleasant the winter weather (the predecessor to 9 months of unbearable heat plus humidity) and the beaches, isn't there more to Florida this summer?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:07 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,250,733 times
Be a snowbird. You can take what you want and leave the rest. The "good life" really isn't all its cracked up to be.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:15 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Forget about the (Will many soon be oil drenched?) beaches and Disney, is there possibly a worse time than the summer of 2010 to be living in or visiting Florida? This is not meant to sound as a slam, but can projections for the Florida lifestyle be any more dire?

I am about to retire with a substantial Northern pension, but my best friend ( 56 years old), who chose to live in Florida 35 years ago, may never afford to retire. He used to brag about the housing appreciation, his year-round swimming, the beaches, his multiple business successes. He told me that his housing appreciation would more than offset my developing pension and his diminished wages. Unfortunately, he is about to lose his job and his retirement nest egg, his Florida home, is now worth less than half of what it was just three short years ago.

As an outsider, who has long envied my colleagues living the Florida good life of 5 short years ago, I have resigned myself to "wait and see" about my Florida future. Unfortunately, Florida has the lingering double digit unemployment (probably worse than what is actually being reported), and appears to be brutally slow in its economic recovery. Throw in the dismal predictions of the ever-expanding oil spill, the 8-11 Atlantic hurricanes predicted for the summer, the devalued housing market, the uncomfortably hot and humid temperatures, and one is tempting fate when planning a Florida stay (or move).

Enough of the gloom and doom. Is there an good news coming out of Florida to offset all of the bad and dismal? Please forget about pleasant the winter weather (the predecessor to 9 months of unbearable heat plus humidity) and the beaches, isn't there more to Florida this summer?
You just can't resist posting your slams at Florida when we are really suffering right now. We are facing the worst ecological disaster in US history, which could affect our whole economy and possibly every single citizen in Florida.

To answer your question, NO - there probably isn't a worse time to visit Florida! So why don't you stay where you are and maybe you could say a little prayer for us for a change instead of the constant disparagement?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:15 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,214,969 times
You obviously weren't here during the crazy hurricane season of 2004, right after that our property taxes were increasing out of control. Then the housing bubble burst, and even before that employers in the Orlando area were laying off people left and right, even from the most basic jobs. It's not so bad here now, even though I still don't like Florida. Every year we have unbearable summers and add to that the yearly hurricane season where your property is constantly in danger of being severely damaged if not destroyed. And holidays just don't feel like holidays here, it doesn't get too cold and I still love the smoky crisp air from out West when the holidays come around. Like they say it's cool to visit here, but living here year round is a whole different ballgame.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,404,163 times
Quote:

But you didn't like the state anyway, before this happened.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
Quote:

My DH relocated from PA to Florida in 1985. He drove out of Lockhaven in a blizzard, headed south, anywhere, just south. Anyway, he has been here ever since and wouldn't leave for love or money. He is a "professional", has had a couple of jobs and is currently self employed. Just a matter of what you want and what you will put up with. He loves Fla but would like to move to N Fla instead of Central Fl. Otherwise........

Old 06-02-2010, 02:19 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,753,365 times
Quote:

It would depend on the time frame. Houses are still worth more then they were say in the 70's. You have to forget the craziness of a few years ago. If you bought a house in say 85 you would have paid maybe $40,000. That house today will still be worth a couple times what you paid. The problem is, even if you sold it where would you put the money? People planed on selling their houses and putting it things that would give them a return for life. Even a MM account would have been fine at like 7% if you sold a house and realized a $300,000 return.

You would be looking at over a $20,000 pension so to speak. Combined with maybe another pension and SS most people looked at being set for life. That has all changed. The house is worth half and interest rates are nil and the numbers they counted on have changed. Many will have to work to make ends meet.

Funny thing is, necessity is the mother of invention as they say and some may start business they would not have. They will provide new jobs possibly and so on. Life will go on and people will adapt just as we do all our lives.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
This thread needs to be condemned for being stupid/idiotic. The premise that your friend is having some sort of pension difficulty makes FLA a bad place? Come one, you can do better than that.

Worse time in FLA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Andrew

Last edited by BucFan; 06-02-2010 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 03:46 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,316,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You just can't resist posting your slams at Florida when we are really suffering right now. We are facing the worst ecological disaster in US history, which could affect our whole economy and possibly every single citizen in Florida.

To answer your question, NO - there probably isn't a worse time to visit Florida! So why don't you stay where you are and maybe you could say a little prayer for us for a change instead of the constant disparagement?

I do not think the OP ever was coming to Florida in the first place.

Just loves bashing those who actually enjoy things in Florida.

Some failed to understand that the entire nation, not just Florida is in trouble.

Some fail to understand that many did everything right and can weather the storm out and still enjoy life in paradise.

Only those who failed or made mistakes in Florida will have issues.

Once again, it is NOT the state of Florida that has caused many of the issues. It is the mistakes people have made and of course the state of America's economy.

If you have such a great pension you should already be in Florida grabbing up some of the almost free beautiful homes of those who buried themselves in debt and lost their homes.

My personal opinion is for you to stay in Pa, I really do not think you would be happy in Florida with such a constant negative postings about every bad in Florida.

Florida is not for you because so many successful people who have moved to Florida recently and have done well had POSITIVE attitudes before they move to Florida, not negative ones.

Keep your nestegg, it will go along way in Pittsburgh Pa! One of the ugliest cities in America with nothing to do other then watch the STEELers while everyone else moves to Florida and actually enjoys life with a never ending group of fun things to do.

By gosh I think we found the new replacement for TanNaples.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:54 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
We're hardly suffering. Our house is paid for, we're in heaven as far as we're concerned, our taxes keep going down year after year thanks to the lower appraisals, and we're in paradise! Keep shoveling snow, Coach. We have the same northern substantial pension, and it's serving us well here in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida