Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:40 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Restated w/clarification:

Being "processed" has NOTHING INHERENTLY to do with a given product's nutritional value.
Well if you want to be pedantic, a peeled carrot is somewhat "processed."

However I think we all know what we mean by "processed food." I know what I mean: food that has been refined to death and has had some of its nutritional value "re-added" with fake fiber, fake enriching, etc. I would rather just eat real food, thanks. Food food. You can eat what you want. If I want something that tastes like a cherry I will eat a cherry. You can make any processed food taste like a cherry since much of it has little to no flavor of its own. Put cherry flavor in and boom...you have cherry crackers. Revolting. Crackers only taste like "aged cheddar cheese" or "rosemary and olive oil" because they have had chemicals added to them to make them taste like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
"Why thank you very much I'd love to try that" would be my only response.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:48 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
I'm not going to eat it if it's NOT stomach fulfilling (no offense) just because it's like an appetizer to me. If there is some kind of close tie connection, then I'll eat (i.e., mother in law or husband's best dish). If it has something that I cannot eat, for instance, fish or just hard core milk/cheese ingredients, I have to object it right away.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:42 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
And a cooked carrot is "processed" as well; it does indeed have fewer nutrients than a raw carrot.

Quote:
I use nonfat mayo
Ooh, that's nasty stuff! I figure since I don't use it very often, or use very much of it, I can go for the real thing.

Have you ever had homemade mayo? It is to die for!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And a cooked carrot is "processed" as well; it does indeed have fewer nutrients than a raw carrot.

Ooh, that's nasty stuff! I figure since I don't use it very often, or use very much of it, I can go for the real thing.

I love, love, love real mayo... I usually make my own but when I don't I won't use stuff like Hellman's which to me tastes nothing like mayonnaise so I buy my store bought mayonnaise in France for the real taste. I'm a big mayo snob.

Delicious !

Making mayo is so easy as well and yet so many people seem daunted by it.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
I would rather have a smaller amount of the real food (butter, mayo, beef) than a lot of the fake one.

And "processed" for me means something made with the stuff I don;t have at home or cannot recognize as a food ingredient. The issue with processed food is not only the lack of nutrients, it is the things added to them so that something will taste/look/smell like what it isn't and will last 1 year when in my pantry/refrigerator it would last a few weeks, if so.

There are certain things I refuse to eat from a can/box/jar, such as pasta (no way!), rice and potatoes. First bc they are very very easy to prepare, second bc of the nutritional value I can add at home (and the freedom to choose what I like!) and third bc the paragraph of ingredients added is unacceptable to me.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:22 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
I will only eat food I buy from stores or restaurants

and never eat food from strangers or people Im not good friends with, only if they are close friends or family

Old 07-16-2010, 07:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's kind of a myth. Some nutrients are lost through overcooking, but cooking also increases the uptake of other micronutrients by the human body (like carotenoids). The best way to get the best out of vegetables is to combine both raw and cooked vegetables in your diet.

Quote:

I use mayonnaise very rarely but I still use the fat-free variety when I do. Personal choice. I know how to make mayonnaise and I know exactly what is in it which is why I eat it so rarely. It's delicious but it's also terrible for you.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:

However I think we all know what we mean by "processed food." I know what I mean: food that has been refined to death and has had some of its nutritional value "re-added" with fake fiber, fake enriching, etc. I would rather just eat real food, thanks. Food food. You can eat what you want. If I want something that tastes like a cherry I will eat a cherry. You can make any processed food taste like a cherry since much of it has little to no flavor of its own. Put cherry flavor in and boom...you have cherry crackers. Revolting. Crackers only taste like "aged cheddar cheese" or "rosemary and olive oil" because they have had chemicals added to them to make them taste like that.
First FYI I'm with you generally regarding your mindset. I don't do much of the frozen dinners and instant this or that (etc).

But I wasn't being "pedantic" and in fact you reinforced my point: a lot of people think "processed" automatically equates to the extreme end of things, when it's just not so.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:41 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
I know how to make mayonnaise and I know exactly what is in it which is why I eat it so rarely. It's delicious but it's also terrible for you.
Fresh eggs, high-quality oil, fresh lemon juice? Ain't nothing there that is "terrible for you." Beats the nasty chemicals in commercial mayonnaise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink