Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times

Advertisements

I will eat pretty much anything anyone cooks for me. And have done so in my 42 years of this life on Earth.

It is just courteous and polite when someone has gone to the trouble of cooking to eat without amking a fuss even if it is not to your taste. Anything else to me is churlish, childish and quite frankly incredibly rude.

I have been offered many things I have not wanted to eat in my life and have always smiled, said thank you and mostly been pleasantly surprised. The only thing I have so far refused has been roasted tarentula which I simply could not make myself eat because it looked just like a tarentula and I am a terrible arachnophobic. I still feel embrassed about it to this day as someone had gone to great trouble to offer me something which was a delicacy to them and one of their much needed sources of protein.

You cook it for me , I will eat it. This is one of my rules in life.

I would be appalled and quite frankly livid if some spoilt little diva/buddha refused what I made for them. Let us just say this would not be conducive to a nice evening and I would find it hard to remain civil. Strong words might be exchanged and the direction to the door might be pointed out to them in response.

Food is one of the way people around the world show you hospitality, love, affection, respect etc... to throw it back in their face is one of the most boorish and unacceptable thing I can think of.

Unless you are actually allergic, and it will cause you physical harm then stiff upper lip , behave like a well brought up individual , open wide and eat it. Not exactly brain surgery. I even eat foods I am a little intolerant to physically such as cooked spinach and lamb. I will feel a little discomfort through eating it but considering it is only for a coupleof hours I just put up with it. Of course if something is going to bring you into anaphylactic shock then it would be silly to proced. But most of us can live with a little discomfort , most of us are fine eating something which is not to our taste. Life is full of hard knocks and unpleasantness. Take it on the chin like an adult.

Fussy eaters to me are for the vast majority spoilt, selfish and utterly self absorbed individuals in my experience and on the whole pretty boring, unadventurous human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Fussy eaters to me are for the vast majority spoilt, selfish and utterly self absorbed individuals in my experience and on the whole pretty boring, unadventurous human beings.
Alright, alright... but I'm STILL not eating off that plate of liver you pass around.

Unless you want sick all over your table.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Nope, that's a good way to get my hand slapped....

Old 06-15-2010, 07:44 AM

41,979 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Mooseketeer, I'm not eating that liver, either!

But other than that ... nope, not too fussy. There's common sense, and then there's ... utter ridiculousness and unachievable prissiness, bordering on OCD.

Quote:
or just go and eat something safe like store-bought stuff (chips etc)
Do you know what's in that bag of chips? Could be some mouse hair ... or worse ... You can't be too careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Georgia Peach View Post
Some of them also have pets and allow them in the kitchen. I think I would die if I ate cat or dog hair.
I highly doubt if you would. I also highly doubt that a stray cat or dog hair is the worst thing you've ever eaten.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Georgia Peach would have a seizure at my house. I share my ice cream spoon with my dog, then stick it back in the bowl for another spoonful that's destined for my mouth. That dog has learned how to eat off of human utensils.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mooseketeer, I'm not eating that liver, either!

But other than that ... nope, not too fussy. There's common sense, and then there's ... utter ridiculousness and unachievable prissiness, bordering on OCD.

Do you know what's in that bag of chips? Could be some mouse hair ... or worse ... You can't be too careful

I highly doubt if you would. I also highly doubt that a stray cat or dog hair is the worst thing you've ever eaten.

No liver for you and Fontucky I promise ! Not that I ever cook it anyway. I do make a mean Onion Tart and some delicious chocolate truffles ( if I say so myself) though if that's more to your taste ?

I certainly agree that a few dog's /cat's hair will not kill anyone ( unless allergic of course) and that we humans have certainly eaten far worse in our lives un-intentionally.

I would personally rather ingest a few stray Pooches' hair than a lot of the chemical rubbish food producers put in their products.... The food some fussy eaters eat quite happily would make me our grand-parent's cringe, hormones, pesticides, additives, colourants etc... I'll take my chances with Kitty's fur thank you all the same !

We live such antiseptic lives nowadays that we are turning into nations of allergic, asthmatic invalids when a little dirt is no bad thing. A few germs do not harm anyone , instead this idea that anything even remotely natural is somewhat dangerous and disgusting make us all wheeze for breath and clasp our chests with horror. I remain bemused ...

Old 06-15-2010, 08:44 AM

Onion anything is fine for me. Same for choco.

I have no idea if my eating habits have anything to do with my seldom (almost never) getting sick, but there it is. I eat off of street carts in Mexico and here in the States, I buy tamales out of some old Mexican lady's pickup truck, and if the health department inspection placard in a resto's window is a B or a C, all the better.

I also haven't taken antibiotics in many, many years, but that's grist for another mill.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
It is just courteous and polite when someone has gone to the trouble of cooking to eat without amking a fuss even if it is not to your taste. Anything else to me is churlish, childish and quite frankly incredibly rude.
? This isn't about simply "not being to your taste." It's about concerns regarding hygiene. PS: we all draw our lines in diff. places - who are you (or any of us) to condemn others for where they do so?

Quote:
I would be appalled and quite frankly livid if some spoilt little diva/buddha refused what I made for them. Let us just say this would not be conducive to a nice evening and I would find it hard to remain civil. Strong words might be exchanged and the direction to the door might be pointed out to them in response.
Sidestepping the insults and the fact that you again missed the point of the OP, I find it frankly hypocritical that in your disgust for someone's (assumed) rudeness, you admit you would likely be quite rude in return, no matter how polite or tactful they were. Do as I say not as I do, eh?

Quote:
Food is one of the way people around the world show you hospitality, love, affection, respect etc... to throw it back in their face is one of the most boorish and unacceptable thing I can think of.
Again...we aren't talking about refusing to eat something simply because it's "international" or unusual. We all have our comfort zones and things which do/don't appeal to us. Just because some things don't and we POLITELY decline hardly makes one "boorish."

Quote:
most of us can live with a little discomfort , most of us are fine eating something which is not to our taste. Life is full of hard knocks and unpleasantness. Take it on the chin like an adult.
Again: this isn't about disliking a particular food in itself. It's about cleanliness, and some people are pickier about it than others, and most without rude intent; it's simply the way they are.

Quote:
Funny, I was thinking that about people who come off with this my-way-or-the-highway mentality and rudely dismiss anyone who dares to feel differently by exaggerating/distorting their viewpoints and assuming the worst. I'm also not automatically impressed with anyone just for having more tolerable palate and hardly consider them automatically more interesting or "adventurous" people in general.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:47 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I could win the lottery too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Again: I think we all get that it's not a perfect world and there are no guarantees.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Onion anything is fine for me. Same for choco.

I have no idea if my eating habits have anything to do with my seldom (almost never) getting sick, but there it is. I eat off of street carts in Mexico and here in the States, I buy tamales out of some old Mexican lady's pickup truck, and if the health department inspection placard in a resto's window is a B or a C, all the better.

I'm the same, I have eaten just about anything from food stalls all over the world, and in 42 years the only time I ever got food poisoning ( mild one at that) was in Amsterdam in a super-clean looking steak-house...

I think we are raising kids with terrible immune system as well as making fussy eaters of them all. A little dust and honest dirt is a good thing. I am not talking cholera and dysentry pre-mixed in baby's bottle but I remember as a kid playing in the dirt, our house was very clean but we did not use anti-bacterial spray to kill every germ alive and we somehow managed to survive to adulthood...

We live in such antiseptic times and yet we have never had so many allergies . Our resistance to germs is really quite low nowadays in the West and our tendency to over-clean everything means we are also creating super-bugs which are now resistant to just about anything our scientists can throw at them. It's actually quite worrying.

Yet we quite happily ingest more chemicals in large doses than is good for anyone without batting an eyelid. Skewed priorities I feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink