Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,661,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm much better with firm and meaty than I am with soft and squishy-juicy. I wouldn't eat a damn grub unless I was starving, and I'd probably have to be near-death type starving. Just the though of it brings up my gorge.

I guess you won't be eating many Oysters !! Or Steak Tartare....

For me it's really sweet things. The thought of marshmallows or treacle makes me feel queasy !!

I also hate chewy/rubbery textures. I can eat snails or calamari/octopus but just don't see the point of them. Tastes like rubber to me.

My least favourite food is Chinese food and I attribute it to the fact that the meat is usually chewy. I was told once by a Chinese friend that many South-East Asian people actually enjoy chewy food.

I like my meat to be soft and tender. I eat my beef , venison almost raw and love Sashimi for example. Chewy to me just takes the pleasure away from eating. Marmot was one of the worst thing I ever ate, sinewy and really tough. Almost impossible to swallow. Give me grubs anytime !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 05:41 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,257,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
You misunderstood her post. You're assuming they would know there to be an inspection in advance and not random, but thats okay, even if they should know and have a spotless restaurant for the sake of inspection, eventually they'll return to there filthy habits. Thats when using your judgement comes in, if the restrooms filthy ect, I'm not not eating there, are you?

Honestly, I do not usually visit the restrooms in most restaurants and certainly wouldn't use it as an indicator as to whether or not to eat there. Any busy night could take a clean bathroom to a mess- restaurant staff's main focus is to prepare and serve food promptly, not many places can maintain a maintenance/janitorial staff.

And I understood her post. What I mean by filthy the next night is this:

$h!t happens. Equipment breaks down, plumbing backs up, places get busy and maybe the usual level of care isn't taken. Could be a one time thing. Doesn't mean the place is always nasty. And customers are never notified about these things, so to assume that because the health inspector came in on a regular day, when things are progressing as they regularly do- that doesn't mean it can't change.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:57 AM

16,806 posts, read 40,018,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I guess you won't be eating many Oysters !!
Not raw, that's for sure. Fried is another story. I'll murder a pound or two of fried oysters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Or Steak Tartare....
My beef must be cooked at least a little. I like very rare steaks and pink burgers, but raw is something I'm not comfortable with.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Not raw, that's for sure. Fried is another story. I'll murder a pound or two of fried oysters.

My beef must be cooked at least a little. I like very rare steaks and pink burgers, but raw is something I'm not comfortable with.
Very rare is quite squishy and soft though . But yummilicious !

I love Oysters but prefer them raw because they're not as chewy.

You're making me hungry actually, a nice juicy burger would be very welcome right now...

Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 AM

16,806 posts, read 40,018,518 times
Not very rare steaks. They're quite firm.

I do tend to avoid soft and squishy though. My scrambled eggs and omelets must be firm. Can't stand the way the French cook them.

Tripe... yuck. Brains, same story. Mouth-feel is important to me, I reckon.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,158,352 times
I love raw bacon. Whenever I cook bacon, I always pop a bite of it into my mouth before cooking.

Did I ever tell you about my plumber in Chile? I had been waiting weeks for him, and one day I met him on the bus, and asked him about my shower, and he slapped his head and said "Ach---haven't I been there yet? First thing tomorrow." Well, tomorrow he showed up, at 4 pm, drunk, with a bucket of barnacles he had just scraped off the rocks, and showed us how to eat them alive, and promised to be back the next day to repair my shower.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I love raw bacon. Whenever I cook bacon, I always pop a bite of it into my mouth before cooking.

Did I ever tell you about my plumber in Chile? I had been waiting weeks for him, and one day I met him on the bus, and asked him about my shower, and he slapped his head and said "Ach---haven't I been there yet? First thing tomorrow." Well, tomorrow he showed up, at 4 pm, drunk, with a bucket of barnacles he had just scraped off the rocks, and showed us how to eat them alive, and promised to be back the next day to repair my shower.

I like raw bacon too. Especially Pancetta !

Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,346,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Can't you get some horrible disease from eating raw pork......ewww just ewwwwwwww raw bacon that is just so sickening.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:03 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,346,164 times
Pancetta is CURED.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Pancetta is CURED.
Absolutely correct. Apologies. My Italian Grand-Father used to make his own ( and Prosciutto too ) .

I suppose I think of it as raw because most people I know will only eat it cooked. Being cured for roughly only two weeks makes it for most people unpalatable unless cooked ( Unlike Prosciutto) . Curing is still not cooking so though I used the wrong word I am sure most people knew what I meant.

So I guess I better express myself better and say I enjoy eating Pancetta uncooked as opposed to raw.

I have been eating raw meat all my life ( since a small child when I was served Steak Tartare , always one of my favourite ) and the only time I ever got sick was with an over-cooked piece of steak. Ewwwwwwwwww gross, just Ewwwwwwwww ! It was disgusting and made me quite ill. Never again.

I am more worried about the terrible effects that processed foods and chemicals in our environment , cleaning products etc... have on our health than a little raw bacon. To be honest the average modern home is saturated with carcinogenic and dangerous chemicals and most of us could not care less. I guess my "eeeeeewwwwwww gross" is reserved for those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink