Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:37 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times

Advertisements

I love the vegetarian ones but almost never eat them because they are soooo bad for you.

I used to buy baked ramen noodles, they were much better nutrituonally and tasted great. They were more expensive, $1.59 per package instead of 20 cents but worth it.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find them for quite some time.

I used to use raw noodles in salads and on sandwiches for a nice crunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 12:53 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
There was a time when I told myself I'd never ever eat ramen again. That's past. It's food like any other if only I tailor it to my taste. I never eat it in broth. I boil water and put it in just to loosen the noodles, basically wet the starch that binds them. Then I drain. The noodles keep their bite that way, because wet, soft noodles I hate. Then I use them dry in stir fry with a sauce.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Instant Ramen is the best. My grandmother uses the ones that come in the package and adds all these different Korean spices and vegetables and somehow turns it into a soup that you'd think would have came straight out of Korea.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:18 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
It is not something I would ever think of eating. However, the few times I have had it, I thought it wasn't too bad. My DD got through college eating it, and her children like it for a snack.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:20 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Ramen-Heaven: ramen#2 Neoguri (Spicy Seafood)

I buy it by the 20 pack at the Korean store. I eat 1 -2 packages a week, I guess. It's in a foil pack so it stays fresh. It's really good if you like spicy food. It's about as spicy as Frank's hot sauce or Texas Pete.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I remember when I would watch peole at work eating them for lunch and I would think: don't they know how bad these things are for them or OMG, can't they take time to throw a sandwhich together before they leave for work:::well then, I got a recipe for a couple of salads using them: Ok, why not give this a try::?? The one we like, you brown the noodles, it has become a favorite salad for pot lucks: then along comes anothe recipe which I have doctored up a little: it is basically the noodles, tossing the flaor envalope and replacing with cilantro, a little soy sause, cumen and a few other things,including green onions. It takes a couple of minutes to prepare and makes an excellant side dish. I guess this answers the quesion: do I use ramen noodles?

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 07-30-2012 at 05:46 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
If so, what are your favorite brands. I know its not a health option for daily meals, but its affordable,fast and fills the void on occasion. Shin Ramen is a popular brand, its spicy and my fav.

Nong Shim Shin Noodle Ramyun, Gourmet Spicy Picante, 4.2-Ounce…
Word to the wise...Ramen Noodles although tasty are LOADED with sodium a huge factor in contributing towards an unhealthy heart. My son use to eat them..he also smoked and was overweight. If you flip the package over and check out the sodium count it will blow your mind! Go easy with them!!

Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
^^^^^^ This! Way to much salt! But maybe acceptable as a noodle cooked in plain water, and used for other dishes. Never tried it, though.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:52 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Word to the wise...Ramen Noodles although tasty are LOADED with sodium a huge factor in contributing towards an unhealthy heart. My son use to eat them..he also smoked and was overweight. If you flip the package over and check out the sodium count it will blow your mind! Go easy with them!!

I have seen people eat them nearly every single day at work for lunch......when I have asked if they have read the nutritional information they say something like, "Yeah, I know they aren't good for me but you can get ten packs for a dollar!"

And although most people eat an entire package for a meal many of the brands actually consider a package to be TWO servings. So you can just double the amount of sodium listed per serving on the package!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I would imagine most of us know they are filled with sodium, but I don't think eating them a few times a month is going to hurt any of us: at least I hope not and as for us: we do not use the flavorite, which is where the sodium is: the noodles themselves are not full of sodium. I know the salads I make, we do use the flavoring packette, but we use one packette for enough salad to feed about 12 people and we use no other sodium; the side dishes I use Ramen noodles in, I toss the flavor envalope. That being said, it doesn't hurt to remind people, as you have done, lots of really yummy foods are filled with sodium, sugar or fats...These are the things that add to the richness as they are killing us. A little goes a long way, but a little really won't hurt any of us.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink