Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:06 AM

889 posts, read 2,713,265 times

Advertisements

As the owner of a local coffee shop, I can say that we appreciate the business of those who won't/don't go to Starbucks. We aim to give a fair price, great-tasting coffee, a great atmosphere, and friendly, competant service. When my family travels and we have to go to chain coffee shops, I miss all of the above. Thanks for supporting your LOCAL shop!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 04:25 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
I support the little man also, but I will confess that I do like some chain coffeeshops(though usually less mainstream ones). However, I'm starting to see locals pick up. We've got a couple of local coffee shops in my hometown. I'm actually an up and coming vlogger, I try not to cuss too much though. I thought she was pretty funny. But, what's wrong w/ having a laptop at a coffee shop if you are not bothering anyone?

Old 08-14-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post

Oh, and somebody owes me 7 minutes and 19 seconds for suckering me into watching that foul mouth idiot and her self serving swearing packed Youtube video.
LMAO I don't know what exactly I could do to give you 7 minutes and 19 seconds back. I was simply trying to get other peoples opinion on it, I actually saw this video in July of last year.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 08-14-2010 at 04:59 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 05:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
The only "cafe" beverage I really like (apart from milky / sugary gas station cappuccinos, which don't count IMO, and hot chocolate) is the Vanilla Bean Frappuccino, which I almost exclusively enjoy while browsing through books or accessing the internet at the local Barnes and Noble. The VB Frapp happens to be a Starbucks beverage. I also really enjoyed the Starbucks at the USF library. There I could get my VB Frapp and then go upstairs and read through books - essentially the same thing I do at the local B & N, but with a greater selection. So I disagree with her, though I have some sympathy for the probably thousands of independent shops they've put out of business.

I also don't get the widespread preference for "plain" or as one poster inferred, "no B.S." coffee. I can see how it'd be a niche thing, but really? Don't most people like their drinks sweet? Or is that just a lower/working-class thing? (I come from those origins)

Old 08-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
F. I rarely drink coffee anymore. I think I've had coffee twice in six months. I have to drink milder roasts now because the darker stuff tears my stomach up.

That girl cussed too much. I can have a mouth, but I don't post videos of myself on YouTube cussing about stuff. And her arguments were dumb.
  • She doesn't like Starbucks because the one she went to was too crowded. She wished the people already in there would have sat together to leave some tables empty for later customers like her ... because she doesn't like to sit with people.
  • She doesn't like "p****-a**" coffee but she ordered an Irish creme latte. That's definitely what I'd order if I were a straight-up Sanka drinking girl.
I know huh? For someone who doesnt like fru fru drinks she ordered an irish cream latte? I think when ppl think fru fru, they mean like the strawberrys and whipped cream stuff. I do need to add that if it is the chance that I go to starbucks, my favorite drink is the caramel apple spice. But some of the starbucks locations will short change you. They will just give you steamed apple cider, OR they will give you the apple cider and whipped cream but no caramel or cinnamon. I've watched that happen to me, but never said anything b/c I just didnt want to argue and risk them spitting in my drink.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 08-15-2010 at 02:05 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Is this really 7 minutes of ranting?

"make my $hit turn?"

I don't even think I'll make it to the end of this rant (she is currently complaining about all the tables being taken?!?!? give me a break. Yeah, she wants strangers to sit together to save a table for her--but she doesn't want to ask anyone to share a table? How does she expect the other strangers to find themselves sitting together if she won't ask someone to share)

anyway, I actually hate Starbucks coffee. If that is the only place to go, I'll take a tea over anything else they have.

I think their coffee tastes burnt.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:30 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
I don't care for the acidity of coffee, though I LOVE the smell.

This girl needs a life. Everybody knows Starbuck's doesn't stand for quality - they have a drive-thru for goodness sakes! They sell crap inside their stores that have nothing to do with coffee (CD's, etc.). The only thing high-end about Starbuck's are their exorbitant prices. If you want good coffee these days you have to learn to make it for yourself. And save yourself loads of money while you do it.

Everytime I see a young person with a Starbuck's cup, I think... "There goes your college fund..." or if they look like they are in college, I wonder how much longer it'll take them to pay off their school loans. One cup at a time, all down the drain, and places like Starbuck's and Jamba Juice laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:24 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
I agree with her rant. I'm not a fan of Starbucks either. It's nice every once a while more like twice a year lol!

I hate how expensive it is. I also don't like the dumb names grande, tall, venti. Why can't it just be small medium large? Tall sounds like it should be large. It just gets so annoying. I don't think it tastes any better than Foldgers and personally I'll take homemade Foldgers coffee over Starbucks. I like the small coffee and donut chain's coffees better too. I don't like how hyped Starbucks is and how their really is a yuppie rich feeling there. I don't like that at all.

I have a friend who dedicated a whole photo album on Facebook to freaking Starbucks! Pictures of her drinking it from all different directions and photos of Starbucks ads. It was sooo rediculous.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
I agree with her rant. I'm not a fan of Starbucks either. It's nice every once a while more like twice a year lol!

I hate how expensive it is. I also don't like the dumb names grande, tall, venti. Why can't it just be small medium large? Tall sounds like it should be large. It just gets so annoying. I don't think it tastes any better than Foldgers and personally I'll take homemade Foldgers coffee over Starbucks. I like the small coffee and donut chain's coffees better too. I don't like how hyped Starbucks is and how their really is a yuppie rich feeling there. I don't like that at all.

I have a friend who dedicated a whole photo album on Facebook to freaking Starbucks! Pictures of her drinking it from all different directions and photos of Starbucks ads. It was sooo rediculous.
Who the **** dedicates a whole photo album to drinking starbucks from different locations? Someone is addicted and should be rushed to the ER quick, she might be having a withdrawl

Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Who the **** dedicates a whole photo album to drinking starbucks from different locations? Someone is addicted and should be rushed to the ER quick, she might be having a withdrawl
haha I know crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink