Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:47 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,934 times

Advertisements

All I know is:

Grands® Flaky Layers Biscuits from Pillsbury.com (http://www.pillsbury.com/grands-flaky-layers-biscuits/grands-flaky-layers-biscuits.htm - broken link)

Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 12:45 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
I just bought some of the Grand's Homestyle biscuits for our Saturday breakfast....Grand's biscuits are really great! Mod Cut...against TOS... don't like them but who gives a crap.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-28-2010 at 11:39 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 03:29 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,934 times
Mod cut previously...
Nope. That only happens when I eat homemade, ironically. Either they're too hard, too soft, too much flower, not enough butter, not cut properly, burned, or something else wrong. Which is why I prefer the canned - they can never be made wrong. The smell is amazing and the taste even more so.

For me, a good biscuit remains solid until it's eaten. I don't like "crumbly" biscuits. The biscuit that Jack in the Box uses on their breakfast sandwiches, for example...ugh. I've never met a Grands biscuit that I didn't like.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-28-2010 at 11:43 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,374 times
For those wondering what revelated is posting to

I had said that canned biscuits have this odd, chemical-like after taste and leave a weird, waxy coating on the roof of my mouth.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:20 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Your 10 year old must be a very special person.

Oh, my goodness! I do love biscuts. With sausage gravy. And hash browns. And a couple of nice sausage patties. And a couple of scrambled eggs. I judge a restaurant by their biscuts. I judge my friends by their biscuts.

My mouth is watering.........
He likes his biscuits with our fresh homemade strawberry jam that we make with organic strawberries we pick at a berry farm up the road from where we live. That's been our breakfast lately... biscuits, strawberry jam, and a glass of ice cold milk. And folks - we finally got our biscuits right!!! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!!!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Make up a bunch of biscuits and freeze them. That way, he can have biscuits when he wants them and you allow it!
Now that we've got our from scratch biscuits down... THIS is an excellent suggestion! I'm supposing you bake them just until slightly done (not yet turning goldeny - yes I might have just made that word up!) and then freeze them? Then you take them out and bake them the rest of the way when you want them?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Yes, it's a brand. Sorry I didn't think about it not being available everywhere. I guess it's just a Texas/Southwest thing. It's like Bisquick, but not buttermilk mix. I actually checked the company's website and it said their products were available throughout the US, but I guess not that widely available.
I'm from Texas originally and I remember Pioneer baking mix. My grandmother always either used Pioneer or Bisquick. My mom hating cooking, so she was the refrigerator biscuit kind of cook. Anyway, now that you mentioned it... I haven't seen Pioneer mixes since we left Texas. How odd! Bisquick is all over the place though. I personally don't like Bisquick. I prefer to bake from scratch because we also like to mix our flours.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Sounds like some haven't had the right canned biscuits. OH well.
We tried some of the Pillsbury grands Homestyle ones the other day that were totally "BARF". We couldn't eat them. And the ones with buttery flaky layers are horrible. But the Pillsbury grands Southern Style we think are pretty good. Now that we can make our own from scratch we probably won't be buying the prefab ones anymore, but it's good to know which ones to grab in case we find ourselves in a biscuit pinch in the future!

Also - something really fun to do while you're camping.... our kids love this!!!.... is to make doughnuts with refrigerator biscuits over the campfire! We bring cinnamon and sugar to roll them in after we've flattened each out, poked a hole in the middle of each one with our fingers, and fried them up in the cast iron skillet over the campfire. Fun to do and the kids love it. SO NOT healthy (we're usually a crunchy tree-hugger type family but when we camp all bets are off!) but a memory your kids won't ever forget.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,629,470 times
Another fun camping food to make with canned biscuits are biscuit "eclairs". Pull out a biscuit so it's long and stretchy and wrap it around the end of a debarked stick or a dowel. Roast it in the fire until it is cooked. Then remove from the stick, fill with vanilla pudding and apply chocolate frosting. This is the only thing I ever liked about camping when I was a Girl Scout.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
The only way we eat canned biscuits, or as we call them "whack biscuits" because you whack them on the counter to open them, is when we use them to make Monkey Bread. We buy the cheapest ones we can find. No fancy ones like Grands, just the really cheap store brands. Take 2 cans and cut each biscuit into quarters. Dip each piece into melted butter then roll in a cinnamon and sugar mixture and throw it into a greased bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes then invert onto a plate. Sugary cinnamony yumminess. My kids will fight over the last bite of this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink