Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:10 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times

Advertisements

So it seems form tv that American barbecue is divided into four regions. In no order:

1. Memphis - Characterized by a sweet sauce and a focus on pork ribs
2. Texas - Characterized by a focus on beef particularly brisket
3. Kansas City - Characterized by a vinegar based sauce (I think though KC Masterpiece falls more into the sweet sauce line) and pulled pork
4. Carolina - Characterized by a mustard based sauce and pulled pork

I propose a fifth region be recognized. This would be known as North Alabama or Decatur style. It has the sweet sauce of Memphis, and it puts a lot of emphasis on pulled pork like Kansas City. However, it distinguishes itself due to the emphasis it places on chicken and to a lesser extent turkey. This has gone to the point of the creation of a white sauce for the poultry barbecue. In addition its the only place I've seen barbecue stuffed potatoes. Am I just inexperienced? Does some other place do this as well?

Last edited by AuburnAL; 08-21-2010 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Go ahead! There's enough diversity for all tastes. I would imagine most are very good. Just remember most all types are probably available in all locales. Just depends who's backyard you're in at the time. Or which restaurant you've visited. Texas rules though!!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Do what makes you happy! If you want to be fair, you should probably want to add other regions as well...IMO, at least Hawaii and California.

The regions themselves have many sub-reasons. In fact, the Carolina is considered the birthplace of American BBQ and is characterized by a thin vinegar based sauce; to most, this is Carolina BBQ, not mustard. In Western side of NC, they add ketchup to the thin sauce. Only in S.C. is mustard used.

Memphis is the only "acceptable" place to get dry ribs. There are exceptions anywhere, probably the highest concentration of those desiring "dry" ribs would be in Memphis. They always use a lot of spiced heat whether wet or dry and is sweet.

Many argue if you need to name one meat for the entire state of Texas, it should be sausage. While brisket is popular in sandwiches, it's only in pockets of certain areas.

KC is the all about the sauce, most are "candy" sweet.

There's also the Hawaiian Luau, California style of baby backs and tri-tip and Kentucky's use of Lamb.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
I agree but think it should be Deep South BBQ. MS has great BBQ, too.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
This is what makes America Great

And something to look forward to in my travels

Old 08-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Many argue if you need to name one meat for the entire state of Texas, it should be sausage. While brisket is popular in sandwiches, it's only in pockets of certain areas.
I don't think sausage is any more common than chicken or fajitas and certainly not brisket. In Texas that is! I'd say Fajitas rank pretty high these days as a Texas tradition. Brisket still rules though.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I don't think sausage is any more common than chicken or fajitas and certainly not brisket. In Texas that is! I'd say Fajitas rank pretty high these days as a Texas tradition. Brisket still rules though.
Fajitas, within the category of BBQ? I have visited Texas only a few times and was told no matter where you go in TX for BBQ, there's always somewhere in town that serves sausages. Brisket is only in certain pockets, not state wide.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Alabama deserves its own category because of that white sauce. That doesn't mean I like the stuff (I actually despise it) but it sure is unique.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Fajitas, within the category of BBQ? I have visited Texas only a few times and was told no matter where you go in TX for BBQ, there's always somewhere in town that serves sausages. Brisket is only in certain pockets, not state wide.
I'm thinking more of backyard BBQ's than restaurants. The BBQ word is a puzzle in itself. I admit I call anything I grill BBQ. If someone thinks BBQ is only what has sauce on it then fajitas is out. We call our grills BBQ pits here. Yes, sausage is available at most BBQ's backyard or cafeterias in Texas. But chicken I would say is every bit as popular these days. Fajitas are extremely popular. As I say I may be alone in referring to fajitas as BBQ. Actually I wouldn't call it BBQ, but would say I BBQ'ed it! I can't imagine a BBQ place in Texas without Brisket. Now I'm hungry!

Old 08-22-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Alabama deserves its own category because of that white sauce. That doesn't mean I like the stuff (I actually despise it) but it sure is unique.
If unique is the criteria for creating it's on category/region, several others are much more popular. Just about every major Hawaiian hotel offers a luau experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink