Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,713 times

Advertisements

Wow. I am very surprised to see so many ways of cooking rice and how people eat it. I guess I've been stuck with the Asian way for too long, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:13 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
If you eat rice, how do you cook your rice? Most of the time we use the rice cooker, but when the rice cooker is not working the way we want, my mom would steam it. It is a longer process but it takes a lot better than the rice cooker.
Do you ..
steam it?
Use the rice cooker?
Boil?
Something else?
I simmer my rice. Takes 45 mins or so.

What kind of rice do you prefer? I prefer white over brown or any other color. I like white because it fills me up faster and it has this sweet and natural flavor that I adore. yum yum. And of course, white rice has two kinds: fat and short and thin and long. Yes there is a difference, lol. I prefer the fat and short ones. I prefer brown rice or wild rice. (Yes, I know that wild rice isn't actually "rice"!) I almost always make brown. I like white, too, but it's bad carbs, so I opt for the more healthful, less processed brown. I've developed a taste for brown rice and now prefer the flavor over that of white rice.

Do you like it plain? I love it plain, definitely. Do you add...
salt? Yep.
Black pepper? Yep.
Soy? Once in a while.
Others? Sometimes I put a couple teaspoons of soup base (chix, beef or ham) in the water. Which base I use depends on what sort of meat or seafood the rice is going to accompany.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,490 times
I usually eat Thai rice everyday, and just use a pot with lid and boil it than turn the heat down and it's done in about 20 minutes or less

no need for a special rice cooker

I dont need to add anything, I eat the salty food to go with it

Basmati rice from Indian restaurants is also very good, but I dont usually cook it at home

Last edited by mr bolo; 08-24-2010 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 PM

224 posts, read 604,759 times
I love rice from Persian restaurants, I sometimes put sumac on my rice and its delicious.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:02 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missvang View Post
So the "chicken and rice" thread got me thinking of people's method of cooking rice.

If you eat rice, how do you cook your rice? Most of the time we use the rice cooker, but when the rice cooker is not working the way we want, my mom would steam it. It is a longer process but it takes a lot better than the rice cooker.
Do you ..
steam it?
Use the rice cooker?
Boil?
Something else?

What kind of rice do you prefer? I prefer white over brown or any other color. I like white because it fills me up faster and it has this sweet and natural flavor that I adore. yum yum. And of course, white rice has two kinds: fat and short and thin and long. Yes there is a difference, lol. I prefer the fat and short ones.

Do you like it plain? I love it plain, definitely. Do you add...
salt?
Black pepper?
Soy?
Others?

Not sure if there's a thread. Sorry if I made one when it existed already!
I bake mine in the oven and it comes out nice and dry. I do prefer the Wild Rice cooked on the stove, however.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I'm not a big rice fan, but a Japanese exchange student told me to rinse it in cold water for several minutes until the water runs clean before cooking, so that's what I do, and it doesn't stick together as much.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:38 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,637,234 times
I stir fry it in in olive oil for 1-2 minutes and add green pepper, garlic and onion (occasionally diced tomatoes), then I add a 2 cups of boullion water and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or adding more water if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink