Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 11:42 AM

24 posts, read 48,215 times

Advertisements

Stores just don't get it.

Not only are the aisles obstructed with junk, but they seem to think shoppers want to hear LOUD music over the P.A. system, and everybody wants to hear Christmas music starting November 1, whereas, nobody does!

I hate driving to the edge of town to some mega corporation big box store, navigating through a sea of pavement, then having to trudge through the place searching for what I want, all the while having to put up with the previously noted irritations, then get asked if I want to apply for their credit card, and finally, a request for my postal code.

Big boxes suck! Support your local retailer who will give you good service and respect your intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
The grocery charges the vendors for these kiosk spaces. And, their placement is not accidental. Grocery stores attempt to slow shoppers down in high profit areas. the highest of these being the checkout lanes. The store layout, the placement of products high and low, left and right, blockage and dead ends, necessary aisles mixed with unnecessary ones, music temperature, smells, are all part of the science of modern grocery retailing.

Here in Cincinnati Ohio which is home of Krogers most people have a family member who either works at Krogers or knows someone who does. Krogers is at the forefront of this consumer "psychology."

For my part, I like the little family retailers. Stores in the under 4000 square foot size. Although an occasional trip to Fresh Market is OK. But, in general I already know what I want and if Keebler comes up with a new cookie, and wants to block my way with it in the store aisle, I'm not interested in knowing about it.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshHat View Post
Stores just don't get it.

Not only are the aisles obstructed with junk, but they seem to think shoppers want to hear LOUD music over the P.A. system, and everybody wants to hear Christmas music starting November 1, whereas, nobody does!
Especially those of us who work there.

I have no problem with listening to it for a few weeks...but six weeks is just too much.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 PM

24 posts, read 48,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Especially those of us who work there.

I have no problem with listening to it for a few weeks...but six weeks is just too much.
Spot on!

They also like to play secular "seasonal" music, which tends to be utter crap, stuff like "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree", "Little Saint Nick", or a young Michael Jackson shrieking his rendition of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town".

I'm not religious by any means, but I'd rather hear a quality version of "Oh,Come, All Ye Faithful", "Hark, The Herald Angels Sing", etc. than that ho-ho-ho crap.Traditional carols have class and dignity.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
And the sign of death for any band.... if their rock song has been morphed into an elevator or grocery store version. I'm trying to figure out if they play different types of music on different days. Sometimes it's country, sometimes, it's elevator music, etc.

I do feel sorry for employees who are subjected to it all day!

Old 09-06-2010, 02:04 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times
I have issues with people blocking aisles. Like whole family groups. One time I witnessed one large family(a religious group) that was blocking and preventing people from going and coming from the aisle. When I needed to get through, they just gave me dirty looks and I`m sure they could tell by the look on my face that I was steamin mad.People like that have issues.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
I saw a fat guy in one of those electric rider carts back into a pyramid of booze at my neighborhood grocery store in Scottsdale. I heard the beep-beep-beep of the reverse alarm and turned just in time to see the pyramid lose twenty or so bottles.

In his defense, the thing was right in the middle of the junction of two aisles.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:32 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I saw a fat guy in one of those electric rider carts back into a pyramid of booze at my neighborhood grocery store in Scottsdale. I heard the beep-beep-beep of the reverse alarm and turned just in time to see the pyramid lose twenty or so bottles.
I would have paid $20 to see that, I'm totally serious.

In fact you should have done your civic duty and tipped him $20, then gotten on all fours and commence lapping greedily at the booze, perhaps pausing occasionally spit a piece of glass out of your mouth and announce to the horrified onlookers that it tastes a bit leathery around the edges but you looove the hints of oak.

Someone should make a poll on the forum about what is most annoying about grocery stores the stacks of stuff, the shoppers, the charity out front accosting you, the "would you like to donate $1 to xyz" by the cashier, etc. I'm in Arizona so have Frys (Kroger) and some of their stores have things like living room sets near the entrance way. I would give anything to know how often someone goes to pick up some groceries and decides on a whim to load a $1200 living room set into their truck as well. I've done the sheepish "well they had crab legs on sale" to the spouse upon returning but could you imagine casually mentioning that you picked up a sofa set? WTF? Someone must though since they always have something like that there.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:52 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I would have paid $20 to see that, I'm totally serious.

In fact you should have done your civic duty and tipped him $20, then gotten on all fours and commence lapping greedily at the booze, perhaps pausing occasionally spit a piece of glass out of your mouth and announce to the horrified onlookers that it tastes a bit leathery around the edges but you looove the hints of oak.

Someone should make a poll on the forum about what is most annoying about grocery stores the stacks of stuff, the shoppers, the charity out front accosting you, the "would you like to donate $1 to xyz" by the cashier, etc. I'm in Arizona so have Frys (Kroger) and some of their stores have things like living room sets near the entrance way. I would give anything to know how often someone goes to pick up some groceries and decides on a whim to load a $1200 living room set into their truck as well. I've done the sheepish "well they had crab legs on sale" to the spouse upon returning but could you imagine casually mentioning that you picked up a sofa set? WTF? Someone must though since they always have something like that there.
I wish I could rep you again. That's hilarious! I've not seen room sets at the grocery store, but have seen patio sets, and wondered the same thing.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:14 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I saw a fat guy in one of those electric rider carts
Those slowpokes are the main reason I do my shopping between midnight and 5am. I'd rather dodge cases of palletized items waiting for shelf space than get stuck behind a 400 pounder on a scooter taking up an entire aisle.

When I shop I use a list and I fly down the aisles, bad knee and all. No dawdling or sightseeing, and when I do pause I make sure I'm well to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink