Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 PM

509 posts, read 1,167,981 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 03:32 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
If you want to caramelize them, start with olive oil, and put butter in after the onions have given up all their h20, and it has evaporated, towards the end.
Its a long, slow process, but soooooo worth it!
Same process to start onion soup.
Okay, must make the house smell extraordinary. Another upside is if a salesman comes to the door and the one who answers has just been chopping onions, they may just apologize and leave.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Okay, must make the house smell extraordinary. Another upside is if a salesman comes to the door and the one who answers has just been chopping onions, they may just apologize and leave.
Actually, once the onions give up the propanethiol S-oxide gas, (thats what makes one cry, and the strong smell) and the natural sugars in the onions begin to slowly caramelize, they smell incredibly wonderful!

Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Actually, once the onions give up the propanethiol S-oxide gas, (thats what makes one cry, and the strong smell) and the natural sugars in the onions begin to slowly caramelize, they smell incredibly wonderful!
Oh, yeah. I meant extraordinarily good.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Butter/Oil really depends what dish you're cooking and the flavor profiles you're going for. If you dish contains oil, saute in oil. If your dish contains butter, saute in butter.

All OOs including EVOO get nasty when subject to high heat, generally 325f is the danger zone. Flavor is negatively affected and the healthy omega-3s burn off. Disclaimer, if you add onions or food into a pan of 300f OO/EVOO, you're good as the cold food drastically lowers the oils temperatures. Peanut oil is often a safer alternative.

Even how you cut the onion, such as pole to pole will affect your final products taste and onion flavor intensity.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Oh, yeah. I meant extraordinarily good.
I have GOT to make onion soup this weekend. It takes a couple of hours to caramelize 8 pounds of onions in a big cast iron skillet, but I just stand in front of the stove with plenty of white wine in a glass and do it low and slow!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:37 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
The onions are sauteed in just enough EVOO to keep from burning on the bottom of the pan. When the Onions are done breaking down she puts in a little white wine, some no salt butter and one-two cloves of crushed garlic. Lets the wine cook down until the onions are no longer wet but just a little moist. The she cools them off in a mesh strainer to remove the excess oil. She mashes the onions up once cool and adds to pure sour cream. None of that stuff with all the additives. Adjust amount of onion mixture to sour cream ratio depending on taste, we like it with a strong onion flavor. We love it with Granny Goose Dip chips.

Enjoy.
I made this dip last night for work today.

If you would have asked me last night about the taste (right after I mixed everything up) I would have told you that I was disappointed.

HOWEVER

After the dip sat in the fridge overnight, the flavors have flowed throughout the mixture and it has become AWESOMENESS INCARNATE. And yes, I do mean to shout.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
If you want to caramelize them, start with olive oil, and put butter in after the onions have given up all their h20, and it has evaporated, towards the end.
Its a long, slow process, but soooooo worth it!
This ^ is exactly how I prepare them, and they are delicious! OP, you're sure to enjoy them cooked this way.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:32 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
I made this dip last night for work today.

If you would have asked me last night about the taste (right after I mixed everything up) I would have told you that I was disappointed.

HOWEVER

After the dip sat in the fridge overnight, the flavors have flowed throughout the mixture and it has become AWESOMENESS INCARNATE. And yes, I do mean to shout.
LOL I forgot to mention you need to let it sit over night. Sorry. Its not like that package stuff that gives you instant flavor from all the salt and MSG.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink