Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 02:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times

Advertisements

How do you store your fruits and vegetables?

Here's an interesting video of a bowl of various fruits and veggies in time lapse. Note that the separate tomato in back lasted more than twice as long as the ones that were touching each other.

http://www.wimp.com/decomposingfruit/

I keep onions and potatoes in the fridge. Onion because refrigerated onions make for tear-less slicing and chopping. Potatoes don't wrinkle or sprout in the fridge.

I keep bananas out, until they are just right, then put them in the fridge. They blacken quickly there, but keep the same flavor and texture.

I keep tomatoes in the fridge, but I keep two out, to ripen, and because I like to eat them at room temperature.

Lettuce (whole head) and celery in closed plastic bags in the crisper, and I flick water into the bag each time I reclose it. Bell peppers in a loose plastic bag in the crisper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,499,182 times
i keep wondering what it was like to have a root cellar. i mean people kept veggies down there all winter right? or am i just dreaming. was it just root veggies down there? was the cool underground air what kept the, "fresh"...?

Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
My trick for making radishes last a long time is separating them from the leaves, patting them dry, and putting them in a tupperware container with enough room for them to roll around so they're not packed tightly. I've had radishes last for a couple of months stored this way. Leave them in that plastic bag attached to the leaves and they'll go soft and rotten pretty fast.

If I have strawberries developing those telltale soft spots right before they go moldy and I'm lucky enough to have a pineapple, I cut all of them up and store them together. For some reason it takes strawberries forever to go moldy if they're in a container with pineapple chunks. Must be the acid.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,380,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i keep wondering what it was like to have a root cellar. i mean people kept veggies down there all winter right? or am i just dreaming. was it just root veggies down there? was the cool underground air what kept the, "fresh"...?
I have several friends with root cellars and they really do keep certian veggies throughout the winter. My friends keep onions, potatoes, and squash in their roots cellars along with turnips, beets, and carrots. The carrots, beets, adnd turnips are stored in boxes of sand. That is supposed to help them last longer. Apples do pretty well too.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:48 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,861,989 times
Is there any way of extending the life of cherries, grapes and muscadines in the fridge? It seems like they always mold before I can finish a package.

And cucumbers too? Seems like they turn mushy in just a couple days in the fridge.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:32 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,252,079 times
I have been using Debbie Meyers Green Bags for the last couple of yrs. for fruit and vegetables. I keep the vegetables & fruit in separate conpartments so they don't send their gases to one another to spoil. With the use of these bags the life of veggies and fruit is at least 2 wks.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Is there any way of extending the life of cherries, grapes and muscadines in the fridge? It seems like they always mold before I can finish a package.

And cucumbers too? Seems like they turn mushy in just a couple days in the fridge.
Berries might be victims of the principle that made the tomatoes rot much faster if they touched each other. Whenever I have berries or grapes, I just eat them all up within 24 hours.

I've never had that problem with cucumbers. You might try just putting them in a shelf in the fridge, instead of in a crisper drawer touching other veggies.

I keep a jar lid in the fridge, and when I cut a banana or a cuke, I cut it so it balances on the cut face, and stand it up on the jar lid. The cut end keeps quite well, and no fussing with wrappers. You can keep a cut onion fresh that way, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink