Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times

Advertisements

I always let the server know if I'm not satisfied with the food. If I'm paying $50 for a lobster dinner, it'd better be superior to anything I can pluck out of the Atlantic from a row boat. If it's not, I'm not going to pay for it. If the rice is oversalted, then I'll ask for something else. If the ceasar salad isn't made with real actual ceasar dressing (I always ask first), then I'll ask for something else.

If I order a pizza with mushrooms and when I get home and open the box and discover there's no mushrooms but there are onions on it, I'll drive right back to the pizzeria and tell them they made a mistake and I need a pizza with mushrooms.

On the other hand - as someone who's worked in the service industry, there's a huge difference between someone who feels their food is not up to snuff, and someone who just loves complaining to get free food. If I had dug into my meal, ate half of it, and decided at that point that it sucked, then no I absolutely would not expect to be granted a free meal or replacement.

But if I take one bite of a pilaf and can't identify some disgusting flavor that their chef thought would be a novel idea, then it's gonna go back. I don't pay for chefs' experiments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
At my 8th grade graduation dinner, a passing server tripped and dumped several BEERS on my grandmother. At least my mishap was only water!
One Thanksgiving dinner a waiter dumped a tray of ice waters on my grandmother. She was 87. I had no idea that sweet old lady even KNEW those words.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:38 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,888,203 times
Some of you have said you wouldn't say anything, you'd pay for the meal, leave and never come back. But, is that really fair to the restaurant owner? Is it fair to take your business away and never let them know what they did to displease you? Why shouldn't you politely tell the wait staff why you are unhappy with your order, and let them take it from there? Most business owners really value feedback so that they can improve their service.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:00 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,496,859 times
i have ordered things and not liked them but didnt say anything. i ordered it, and i read what was in it, so it's my "fault", not the establishment's.
if the food was just not good even though it's something i like, i still have not said anything, just for the sake of not embarrassing the server.
the one and only time i did send food back was at a wedding. i chose the salmon and it smelled and tasted very fishy. i explained to the server, and the owner of the establishment came by and told me how he had never had a complaint before. (i was not the only one complaining at my table about the fish). his "excuse" really turned me off. he offered to get me another plate of fish. i refused it and ddnt eat the dinner. i was worried i would get sick. i thought he would have offered one of the other entres to make up for me not having dinner, but he didnt. needless to say, i will never step foot in that place again.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
If there is something wrong with the food, you have an absolute right to send it back. If you bought something at the grocery store that had something wrong with it, you wouldn't think twice about returning it for an exchange or a refund.

If it's just a matter of taste, I can see a hesitation to refuse the meal. It would depend on the circumstances. Maybe the menu didn't mention an ingredient you really don't like or are allergic to, for instance.

Whether it's the customer's "fault" or not, lots of restaurants will go ahead and exchange the entree for the sake of good customer relations.They probably seldom have customers who abuse this policy.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:03 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,490,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't agree with that. When I go to a restaurant I expect service at certain level and edible dishes. It is a two ways relation: they deliver a product/service and I pay for it. If there is something obviously wrong with it, I feel that I have right to question it, let it to be fixed or if this is beyond fixing, I should be not expected to pay for it. If the dish is burn, raw, or cold and normally should be not served that way ( except it was made to my wish ) I would ask to fix it or substitute.
That has nothing to do with a loss on service people. In contrary - when I see that the wait staff is concerned and try to take care of my problem, then I make sure that they will get a nice tip, regardless if the issue is resolved or not. If I would get a bill that includes the dish in question, I would pay it without a word, leave and never return.
There is a discreet way to question a dish or service, without getting attention of other patrons; things happen and in most cases could be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.
Now, again - if there is nothing wrong with the dish, but I just don't like it or lost my appetite, I will pay for it, because it is no ones fault.
I'm sure that this would not be the first time you have made a mistake. Same for the restaurant. So every time you do something a little off at your work, do you want some customer in your face? And, why would you want to have a conflictive interaction when you are out to eat? If I was out as your guest or you were mine, and you started mixing it up with the service people that would be the last time we'd be out together.

If the guy cleaning out the gutters leaves some mud in the portico I just go pick it up. sure, I could drag him back and point it out to him and make him pick up every scrap. But why? Life is too short.

If some service person makes a mistake in a dealing with me and I don't go to the hospital or have to get something repaired, I brush it off as a part of everyday life. you don't have to get every dime of value just because you are in a business establishment and you paid. Would you take up bad cooking with your neighbor, or daughter in law or friend? Move on. It doesn't matter.

Try it, you'll like it.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Having worked in the restaurant world for quite a few years, I can say this with some authority.
Real restaurateurs/chefs want to know if the food is not up to par.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Two recent (as in the past year) experiences: A higher end local coffee shop served me a delicious meal, but the triple decadent whatever-whatever chocolate lava cake I ordered was obviously on the extreme side of elderly. One bite and I pushed it away and had her remove it from the bill.

At a local Mexican place, the large horchata I ordered was unpalatable. I took one sip and gave it back to the counterman, replacing it with Dr. Pepper.

I don't hesitate to not pay for substandard product at a restaurant. However, if I try something new and strange to me and decide I don't like it... that's my problem, not theirs.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,427,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I'm sure that this would not be the first time you have made a mistake. Same for the restaurant. So every time you do something a little off at your work, do you want some customer in your face? And, why would you want to have a conflictive interaction when you are out to eat? If I was out as your guest or you were mine, and you started mixing it up with the service people that would be the last time we'd be out together.

If the guy cleaning out the gutters leaves some mud in the portico I just go pick it up. sure, I could drag him back and point it out to him and make him pick up every scrap. But why? Life is too short.

If some service person makes a mistake in a dealing with me and I don't go to the hospital or have to get something repaired, I brush it off as a part of everyday life. you don't have to get every dime of value just because you are in a business establishment and you paid. Would you take up bad cooking with your neighbor, or daughter in law or friend? Move on. It doesn't matter.

Try it, you'll like it.
I dont agree, when people go out and spend money or hire a service to do work, they should expect a certin level of proffessionalism. Also the people doing the work should do what ever it takes to make sure any job they perform is to the highest standards they can. If it's cooking a meal or cleaning gutters.. If i'm giving you my money you need to earn it..

Nit picking every last detail is something entirely different. because some people will never be happy no matter what you do for them.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,327,483 times
Legally the 'victualer' is entitled to be paid for the meal. That it was not what you expected or is not prepared to your liking doesn't change the fact that the restauranteur has undergone the expense of preparing the meal. Your only legal recourse is to complain, not return, and tell your friends about the experience. That said, most restaurant owners will try to make things right out of naked self interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink