Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:26 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times

Advertisements

We are trying to save money and already have a breadmaker.
It seems the bread from it is stale after just a day or so.
I am wondering if anyone has any luck with freezing the
bread and not ending up with freezer taste in the bread.
Please share your secret!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
We are trying to save money and already have a breadmaker.
It seems the bread from it is stale after just a day or so.
I am wondering if anyone has any luck with freezing the
bread and not ending up with freezer taste in the bread.
Please share your secret!!!
I know what you mean about the bread. When my kids were smaller I would bake a loaf every 2 or 3 days. With the bread that was left I would make croutons, bread crumbs, etc. It felt less wasteful and it was cheaper and healthier for us than buying at the store. One other thing I did was to use the leftover bread for breakfast casseroles or french toast. If I didn't use it right away I would slice it and place it in vacuum sealer bags and use it later. There was absolutely no funny taste and it was perfect for that use!

Old 08-30-2008, 01:33 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Homemade bread just doesn't have the preservatives that bought bread has--and it doesn't last long!
I do LOVE toasted homemade bread--it just has so much more body!

Be sure you freeze the slices before you vacuum seal the bags--you will crush the bread if you don't freeze it first!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
So if I freeze a loaf then vacuum seal it it will stay good??
Those bags are expensive.. I wonder if I wrap in foil and
a freezer ziplock if that would work.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:41 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
So if I freeze a loaf then vacuum seal it it will stay good??
Those bags are expensive.. I wonder if I wrap in foil and
a freezer ziplock if that would work.
I have never vacuum sealed a loaf, I have only sealed "scraps" to be used for other purposes. If you want to seal a loaf or half a loaf try what you suggested. That sounds like it would work.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:35 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Homemade bread just doesn't have the preservatives that bought bread has--and it doesn't last long!
I do LOVE toasted homemade bread--it just has so much more body!

Be sure you freeze the slices before you vacuum seal the bags--you will crush the bread if you don't freeze it first!!!!
I learned that lesson the hard way. Never thought to freeze it first!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:57 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
For whatever reason, when you make the bread add a teaspoon or two of oil to the dough. It doesn't go bad as quickly that way.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:19 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,972 times
There is only two of us, what I do is use the dough function, and divide it into mini pans, and bake one and freeze the other. Take it out, let it thaw and bake.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:46 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
Default Question for breadmaker users

We have had a Just For Dinner breadmaker (by West Bend) for about a year. While it's cute and does a great job of easily and quickly (45 mins) making a small loaf, perfect size for 2 people at a meal, I'm not overly crazy about the type of bread it makes. It's okay BUT to me it's a little too "cake-like" in texture. The kind of bread I love is what I think some call European-style: It has a thin, not soft but not overly crunchy, crust and a light but very tasty interior with various sizes of 'holes'. One of my favorites has been the Nature's Promise 'Seven Grain Batard' but it has recently been discontinued.

I'm hopeless at 'real' cooking so the idea of baking bread from scratch (and I have tried... don't ask!!...) really is NOT an alternative. I also can't afford to keep spending almost $4/loaf at the bakery.

I was looking online at some of the "serious" bread machines such as the ones by Zojirushi (we have their Rice Cooker and LOOOOVE it!). They're pretty expensive and before deciding to get one I'd want to be sure it could make the kind of 'European style' bread that I like. There's no sense spending more money just to get a machine that makes a larger version of the rather dense cake-like texture bread that our little Just For Dinner breadmaker already makes.

So this question for those who use breadmakers: Does yours make different kinds (textures) of breads or is it just basically flavor variations on the same theme (like the J-for-D ones turns out)? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
The texture of your bread is going to rely more on the ingredients you use than the type of machine you bought. Have you tried looking for recipes for the type of crusty bread you described? The recipes included with the machine are usually for the "American ca-ca" bread as I like to refer to it.

Another alternative is to just have the machine finishe the dough, remove it, shape it and bake it yourself. The cumbersome part of bread making is the kneading - so let the machine do that. Here are some tips from a great site to get crusty bread:

Beware of bread recipes that call for more than 1 tablespoon of instant yeast per pound of flour: your bread will surely taste like yeast, not bread, with that much yeast. Less yeast and a longer, cooler rise result in tastier bread with much more character.
Use high-protein flour for chewier, crustier bread.
If the recipe calls for any fat (oil, butter, and so on), add it only after some of the liquid has already been added to the flour; otherwise the fat will coat the proteins and prevent gluten from forming as easily as it should.
Don't add hot liquid to the dough; anything above 115 degrees might kill the yeast.
Knead the dough vigorously and slap it onto the counter a few times during kneading to develop the gluten; the more gluten develops in the dough, the better the dough will rise and the airier the bread will be.
Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a moist towel as it rises; this prevents a fine skin from forming on its surface. The skin not only mars the final texture of the bread, it also inhibits rising.
Slash shaped loaves with a sharp razor blade immediately before baking; this prevents them from bursting at the seams as they expand dramatically in the oven. Make slashes about 1/4-inch deep on a diagonal with a swift, sure motion, not a sawing motion.
Bake bread directly on a heated baking stone for an extra-crisp crust and chewy texture. If you don't have a baking stone, heat 2 baking sheets in the oven for 30 minutes instead.
Spray the bread with water from a spray bottle 3 times during the first 10 minutes of baking; the steam prevents the crust from forming too early, which in turn would prevent the bread from rising to its full potential in the oven. As the bread bakes, the humidity from the steam will eventually make the crust crisper.
Cool bread on a rack to keep the crust nice and crisp; if the air doesn't circulate, the crust will become soggy.

Rustico Cooking - Bread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink