Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times

Advertisements

I hit the jackpot in finding a nearby, beautiful berry farm. Is there any etiquette in how much is "allowed" to be picked?. The farm is HUGE. So far, I picked 10 pounds of fresh currants which is rarely found in a local chain store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 12:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
At our "Pick your own" you pay by the pound, so they're quite happy to let you pick as much as you want.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:09 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,305,759 times
Once I overpicked raspberries and blueberries, same day. Wound up eating them so no went to waste, dogs had some too. It was alot and we had had our fill for the season. Except for the wild raspberries two weeks later, which were better than the farm raspberries, but more work in worse conditions...but free!
My thought would be no more than you can use. But as other said, you are paying.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
I have never heard of a limit and yes,as mentioned you pay by the lb,so there should be no problem, but in fairness: 1-use your brain, how many are you going to preserve or eat at any one time. Heck it might be great to put up 25 jars, but in reality what are you going to do with all those jars? I say this, cause I am just get ready for my huge canning week with daughter. I have cleaned out the canning shelves and realize, I do way more than I can ever use of give away in any one or even 3 years. Second, regardless as to how large the farm is, do remember others want to enjoy the fun and work of picking. Leave some. It doesn't sound like you have overdone it, except what are you planning on doing with 10 lbs of currants?

Old 07-21-2015, 01:19 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Berries go bad on the bush, I would imagine the farmers would LOVE for you to pick as much as you want. I know the berry/lettuce farms around here post on their site just how much is left after that day of picking so you don't show up unnecessarily.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:34 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have never heard of a limit and yes,as mentioned you pay by the lb,so there should be no problem, but in fairness: 1-use your brain, how many are you going to preserve or eat at any one time. Heck it might be great to put up 25 jars, but in reality what are you going to do with all those jars? I say this, cause I am just get ready for my huge canning week with daughter. I have cleaned out the canning shelves and realize, I do way more than I can ever use of give away in any one or even 3 years. Second, regardless as to how large the farm is, do remember others want to enjoy the fun and work of picking. Leave some. It doesn't sound like you have overdone it, except what are you planning on doing with 10 lbs of currants?
Freeze them & use them in oatmeal. They do have a bit of a tart taste which doesn't bother me at all when I add sugar. I use about a 1/2 cup of berries each time I use them to put in my oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Berries go bad on the bush, I would imagine the farmers would LOVE for you to pick as much as you want. I know the berry/lettuce farms around here post on their site just how much is left after that day of picking so you don't show up unnecessarily.
Around where I live, once berries reach their peak of ripeness, the season only lasts a few weeks, maybe a little longer depending on the berry that is being grown

Old 07-21-2015, 01:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Freeze them & use them in oatmeal. They do have a bit of a tart taste which doesn't bother me at all when I add sugar. I use about a 1/2 cup of berries each time I use them to put in my oatmeal

Around where I live, once berries reach their peak of ripeness, the season only lasts a few weeks, maybe a little longer depending on the berry that is being grown
10lbs is still a lot of berries, but I guess if you really like them and eat a lot of oat meal you do have a use for them. We freeze our blue berries as well, they are great on cereal and in waffles, but we don't do 10 lbs. We do more like 4 or 5 lbs and they last most of the winter.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:36 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
I hit the jackpot in finding a nearby, beautiful berry farm. Is there any etiquette in how much is "allowed" to be picked?. The farm is HUGE. So far, I picked 10 pounds of fresh currants which is rarely found in a local chain store.

Can you clarify? Did the owner of the farm say, "Hey Happy, help yourself to whatever you want whenever you want" or did you happen to find the back end of a farm and think "JACKPOT! They may not notice if we take xx amount"?

The farms I've gone to sold produce either by weight or by the sack (pay one flat price and fill it as much as you can). I know someone who would take the sack to their car, empty it and go back and refill.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:46 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
blackcurrants or redcurrants?

Old 07-21-2015, 03:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
I must be missing something here,,usually you pay by the pound,,,unless you are bartering goods or services....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink