Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...ower-carb.html

You'll only need good luck trying to keep them OT, as evidenced by the response above. No one would moderate the above thread, but if you pick through it you will find some helpful stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I am thinking about going on a low carb diet.
What are some food ideas on what I should buy?
I used to be on a low fat diet, but I am switching to low carb.
I was looking for meal ideas, snacks, etc to get me started. Thanks!
Hope you found some good information on this thread? Some of the comments have been useful to me, those that were trying to be helpful that is.

Here's some recent thoughts from my own experience. Yesterday I had lunch at a Chinese buffet. In the past I piled the plate high with rice which has a lot of carbs as you know. In fact sometimes I had a plate with just rice and the other foods on a seperate plate.

Yesterday I had ONLY 2 serving spoons of rice. Might sound like a large serving, but greatly reduced from the past. Most of the plate was a couple of different chicken and veg dishes they have, pot stickers, chicken wings, green beans. I did indulge in a small fried cinnamon bread.

Often carbs cause cravings and you don't feel like you can get enough. Since I've reduced carbs the less I feel drawn to them, which can feel like a personal miracle.

I don't know waht your experience might be or become, but my energy level has shot through the roof. I had to adjust medication, under a doctor's advise, because I no longer needed as much due to more energy. I could only sleep about 4 hours a night after reducing carbs. Now with the adjustments I'm sleeping 8 again. Prior to reducing carbs I could easily sleep 9 or 10, if had the time. Makes me feel like carbs were gumming up my metabolism.

Let us know how it's going.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
There are a lot of carbs in potsticker wrappers too... that's why they're so good!

I am also a proponent of calories in - calories out. I'm using myfitnesspal.com to help me journal my food and exercise. It's a free website and I'm finding it really helpful, I've lost 5 pounds this month. However, if low-carb is working for someone, I think that's great. Whatever works for you is best.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Hope you found some good information on this thread? Some of the comments have been useful to me, those that were trying to be helpful that is.

Here's some recent thoughts from my own experience. Yesterday I had lunch at a Chinese buffet. In the past I piled the plate high with rice which has a lot of carbs as you know. In fact sometimes I had a plate with just rice and the other foods on a seperate plate.

Yesterday I had ONLY 2 serving spoons of rice. Might sound like a large serving, but greatly reduced from the past. Most of the plate was a couple of different chicken and veg dishes they have, pot stickers, chicken wings, green beans. I did indulge in a small fried cinnamon bread.

Often carbs cause cravings and you don't feel like you can get enough. Since I've reduced carbs the less I feel drawn to them, which can feel like a personal miracle.

I don't know waht your experience might be or become, but my energy level has shot through the roof. I had to adjust medication, under a doctor's advise, because I no longer needed as much due to more energy. I could only sleep about 4 hours a night after reducing carbs. Now with the adjustments I'm sleeping 8 again. Prior to reducing carbs I could easily sleep 9 or 10, if had the time. Makes me feel like carbs were gumming up my metabolism.

Let us know how it's going.
Yes..very helpful, and its alot more fun versus a low fat diet! Sausage and eggs??

Old 03-29-2011, 05:17 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
I am thinking about going on a low carb diet.
What are some food ideas on what I should buy?
I used to be on a low fat diet, but I am switching to low carb.
I was looking for meal ideas, snacks, etc to get me started. Thanks!
Low carb is great! I suggest you head over to the diet and weight loss forum under Health. There's a lot of good info there, including the fact that you eat a lot of vegetables on low carb.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,875,846 times
I'm sure I could benefit from a low carb diet but I like such foods as rice, bread and pasta TOO much. Although, if I'm really determined, I could make the necessary adjustments in order to be successful.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
There are a lot of carbs in potsticker wrappers too... that's why they're so good!.
The wrappers are bland. They hold the delicious meat filling. Nice try, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Low carb is great! I suggest you head over to the diet and weight loss forum under Health. There's a lot of good info there, including the fact that you eat a lot of vegetables on low carb.
True!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I'm sure I could benefit from a low carb diet but I like such foods as rice, bread and pasta TOO much. Although, if I'm really determined, I could make the necessary adjustments in order to be successful.
I understand not wanting to say good bye to those foods. That's why we're talking LOW carbs NOT no carbs.

There was a sensibility in the 50s, 60s, and 70s that all the "white foods" were fattening. Then it was said it's what you put on them. People ate proportionately more meat and green veg at the time, and more people were a healthy weight. Bread, pasta, rice, etc was eaten in more moderation.

Since the "starve yourself on carbs diet" left out or reduced meats and pumped up the volume on carb filled food, obsesity and diabetes have skyrocketed.

Quote:
Yes..very helpful, and its alot more fun versus a low fat diet! Sausage and eggs??
Would you like hashbrowns with that? No, they're too carboriffic!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 AM

I'm trying to come up with a salad that has the flavor of pizza without the heavy dough crust.

Am not sure about using lettuce or some other "substrate."

Or about what type of dressing to use.

Going for a Canadian bacon and green olives pizza. Bought a package of Canadian bacon, have a jar of green olives. Just thought yesterday eve about buying a package of shredded mozz.

Any other ideas?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:24 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
We make eggplant pizza - brush eggplant slices with olive oil & grill, then top with a bit of tomato sauce (we use the flavored Hunt's sauce), toppings and cheese, then broil til the cheese is melted and golden. Sometimes I'll use zucchini slices instead. Both of these vegetables go great with tomato and cheese.

It's not a salad, but it's a darned good pizza!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink