Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Restaurants: What kind do you prefer?
Local 61 84.72%
Chain 2 2.78%
No preference 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:23 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times

Advertisements

Local at home, chains right off the interstate and local recommendations on vacation.

<slurp>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 07:47 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,446 times
I don't have a problem with chains. No preference. Local is overrated anyways.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:18 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Hmmmm....just remembered I made this thread. It's interesting that 86% of respondents prefer local restaurants, yet chains remain so popular. Most people my age list "Olive Garden" or a similar restaurant as their favorite. ...

Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Chains are popular/good, in that they are a "safe haven", a known place to get something similar to what have experienced before. Like, for example, Red Lobster - you know that they will bring those tasty biscuits, and that their food will be made and presented and taste a certain way. And, at times, that is good.

However, most times, and esp. when traveling, I like to experiment, to find that unusual unknown special place that will just help make the trip a memorable experience - not just the same thing that can get when on familiar grounds, in home town...

Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,044 times
Jdavid, you're right. If you've gotta dine at a chain, Cracker Barrel ROCKS! Having eaten at CB's across the country at least 50 times, I've only had two bad meals (once in Tucson and once in Orlando). Their hashbrown casserole and mac & cheese are so yummy!

Old 08-04-2007, 11:24 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Jdavid, you're right. If you've gotta dine at a chain, Cracker Barrel ROCKS! Having eaten at CB's across the country at least 50 times, I've only had two bad meals (once in Tucson and once in Orlando). Their hashbrown casserole and mac & cheese are so yummy!
I love the hashbrown casserole, and also like the mac & cheese. I had the mac & cheese because my kids didn't like it, so I traded them for my food. They didn't like it because it wasn't "Kraft" style - go figure.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:36 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I hear y'all about the chain Italians, but I can stand Macaroni Grill and Carraba's.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 PM

159 posts, read 355,762 times
Some of the best food my wife and I have had has been in the local restaurants when we travel. We like to get out of the tourist areas and look for the local diners and BBQ places. Usually you get good food, good service and great prices.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
the one and only time I had Longhorn it was barely edible, especially after eating at a "real" non chain steakhouses (smith and wollensky, peter luger's, etc)...i'm a steak snob . it was truly awful, maybe I just got a bad steak because I can normally choke down outback, etc....
Guess what, dude: Smith & Wollensky is a chain.

I prefer local for aesthetic reasons: if every place were dominated by chains, every place would look the same. There are already some small cities where the local flavor has almost been eliminated, and they all pretty much look alike and have the same vibe.

That said, chains have their place. If a chain earns my business, it will continue to receive it. Famous Dave's is a nice standby, as is Chevy's.

One trend that annoys the living hell out of me though: chain brewpubs. It's kind of an oxymoron that defeats the purpose -- kind of like Applebee's "Neighborhood" Bar and Grille. (I never saw a "neighborhood" that consisted of a mall out-lot, and there's nothing "neighborhood"-y about a place that is found in 4,382 other "neighborhoods.") If I see one more local brewpub close down while a Rock Bottom brewpub opens on the other side of town, I'm gonna start hurting people. Does the Chicago area really need FOUR Rock Bottoms?? What makes it worse is that their beer is perplexingly bland. Rock Bottom has to be one of the most aptly named institutions ever.

Last edited by Drover; 08-08-2007 at 08:00 AM..

Old 08-08-2007, 08:12 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Guess what, dude: Smith & Wollensky is a chain.

since when? i'll have to go look.

btw - i'm a dudette

eta - well, i'll be damned. i've only been the original, which is all that matters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink