Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:50 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
If I had a cupcake I would squash it on the floor.

Hope it isn't already frosted with chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 04:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Using leftover cake to make a new creation, is something I learned about in the 80's. I worked for a coffee shop that did business with a local bakery. The bakery would bring in these amazing cheesecakes, velvet cakes, german chocolate cakes, pies of various types, and this one thing THEY called "mud cake."
I worked with a former baker. We told me that they would take over the day old sheet cakes, less the icing and place it into the mixer. They would mix one part of the old cakes with two parts batter and add in chocolate syrup to produce an ultra-moist devil's food cake.

I think that yours would be more interesting.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:10 PM

96 posts, read 289,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
India tree makes natural food colorings. I think it would make for a pretty expensive red velvet cake. Their red is made from beet juice and citric acid.

Thanks for the tip. That would be perfect for Tandoori Chicken. I'll have to try it out.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 PM

75 posts, read 197,503 times
I love cupcakes, and wanted years ago to be a "cupcake master", lol. I adore that they're little personal cakes! And I know vanilla and chocolate and such are classics, but I appreciate the fun flavors more than anything. My favorites to make are strawberry lemonade and banana cream pie. I can't say I've ever had any gourmet cupcakes other than for a friends wedding though... I figure if I can make them, there's no use to spend so much money on them (especially when I hear none of them are that great).

Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 PM

466 posts, read 815,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Among the ten people who I had lunch with, they prefer to make and eat cupcakes as they are single portion. Who wants to make up a huge cake and throw half of it away.
True, although if you make a batch for two people, you can still run into that issue. But cupcakes are also super portable. We bought bakery cupcakes for my son's 1st birthday party in December. We had a few left over, so my husband took some in to work and they were gone in a flash. Much easier than trying to tote in half a cake and worry about finding a knife and cutting pieces.

Honestly, aside from my office baby shower, I can't remember the last shower or birthday party I went to that DIDN'T have cupcakes.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I went to Crumbs and thought, meh. It tasted like Duncan Hines. And the icing was way too sweet and abundant and I love icing and will finish it for people on wedding cakes.

Gourmet cupcakes in the Bay Area are way better. I had a smores cupcake from a food truck That was awesome. It had a graham cracker crust on the cupcake and toasted marshmallow icing, with come nice browning on top. It was amazing and totally worth my $3. And I won't be making one of those at home anytime soon.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You know what I'm seeing now? Cake pops.

HAHAHAHA, thats dumb.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:05 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
Nice one in awhile, but overrated. At my coll

They use far too much icing and cream to cover up a bland cake.

My mother or I (and I'm a college guy) can make a better cake. We start with a good flour (King Arthur), eggs, whole milk....not exactly freaking rocket science or exotic ingredients.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I guess I am out of touch on this one, didn't realize a "Cupcake Craze" had swept the nation.

Personally I like cupcakes, if they are done well and not filled with ingredients like propylene glycol.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:39 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
True, although if you make a batch for two people, you can still run into that issue. But cupcakes are also super portable. We bought bakery cupcakes for my son's 1st birthday party in December. We had a few left over, so my husband took some in to work and they were gone in a flash. Much easier than trying to tote in half a cake and worry about finding a knife and cutting pieces.

Honestly, aside from my office baby shower, I can't remember the last shower or birthday party I went to that DIDN'T have cupcakes.
Next birthday party or just sometime there will be a bunch of youngsters together, make your cupcakes in ice cream cones. Bake them just as you would in the paper cups, but with the cones you don't have the papers thrown down all over the place. Just eat the whole thing! And kids love them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink